Limelight Forums

Full Version: LimeLight is Boring.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

It's more along the lines of this:
  • Unfair and really random laws are put into place. For example, "Anybody who drives a car will be shot on sight and 5 random citizens will be executed in retaliation."
  • People get sick of that and overthrow the government
  • The ex government then goes to the effort of complaining on every single Limelight service for weeks about the scenario, disrupting every kind of conversation and discussion in a "what about me" style
  • The ex government then proceeds to target the roleplays of the people who overthrew them, going ahead and playing deafening music whilst carrying speaker props, starting shootouts directly next to passive RP in order to have an excuse to hostage everyone and scare them off from the RP, and continues with targeted, disruptive behaviour.
  • Everyone who overthrew them last time is unwilling to have the same hostile behaviour for weeks on end the next time those people do a bad dictatorship
(Apr 27, 2020, 03:36 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 27, 2020, 02:11 PM)Aryen Wrote: [ -> ]I see how there's certain rules which restrict you from roleplaying any situation your way, but I also do believe there's rules which are essential. You're speaking from your own perspective, you know how to roleplay, you wanna join, have fun and not let boring rules limit you from doing so. 

See it from this perspective, there's many many minges who join on a regular basis. They mass RDM even with this many rules. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for the staff to maintain the server if there was someone randomly killing everyone, with the only explanation of them having "Serial Killer" as a job title. Spawning and getting killed would also make most players leave and get bored quickly, especially those who play on the server daily. 

I agree that there's certain rules which impose limits on roleplay creativity, and it might get boring from doing the same stuff over and over again. I like to roleplay based on characters, and deal with situations based on their perspective and personality, and specific rules limit me from doing so since I'm basically forced to always handle stuff the same way. Unfortunately, not everyone's here to roleplay and do so, which is why I assume there's rules for basically everything.

That's not really how most Serial Killers work in real life though. Why can't there be a Serial Killer with a good standard of roleplay with a background rp that leads up to people being killed, because currently I'm sure that'd be against the rules
It currently is encouraged to do some background RP in order to murder someone if you have a good enough reason to do so. Not all serial killers have a good enough motive, some can even kill random strangers due to their state of mind, we don't want that in a RP server, it's not fair.
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:29 AM)Aryen Wrote: [ -> ]It currently is encouraged to do some background RP in order to murder someone if you have a good enough reason to do so. Not all serial killers have a good enough motive, some can even kill random strangers due to their state of mind, we don't want that in a RP server, it's not fair.

I agree. Too many people focus on script instead of roleplay. For a Serial Killer RP you don't need to actually kill players. The first few kills can be ragdolls and then you have the opportunity to provide an interesting backstory, get people involved and then people might be OK with being Serial Killed. Blackout has done a few RPs like this and they work very well. He's even had people consent OOC to be victims.
(Apr 27, 2020, 11:43 PM)Duckie Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion:

Even though I have not been on the server for as many hours as most, I love it for two reasons.

1. The people I get to play with are always nice and really good with role playing, and they are people I would probably never get a chance to meet if not for Limelight. Lets take ‍ for instance. If not for Limelight, I would never have met this nice, funny, good at RP Welshman. I also would not have met the awesome people who are part of the clan I'm in. You don't find people like that where I live. If not for the diverse community of people, it would not be as fun or as interesting.

2. The RP is a huge part of my love for Limelight as well. I haven't found another RP server like it. It has so much opportunity and freedom. I can do, literally anything I want to in terms for living in a city. I get to do and experience things I never have before. 

Yes, there are parts of Limelight that could change but compared to the reasons of why I play, the flaws are nothing.

I may not have a lot of reasons to love it but they mean enough to me to continue playing it.

I will stand and play with this community for years to come.

I love the fact that between all those negative comments you're giving a positive one.

This was really needed, thanks.
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:38 AM)goigle Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:29 AM)Aryen Wrote: [ -> ]It currently is encouraged to do some background RP in order to murder someone if you have a good enough reason to do so. Not all serial killers have a good enough motive, some can even kill random strangers due to their state of mind, we don't want that in a RP server, it's not fair.

I agree. Too many people focus on script instead of roleplay. For a Serial Killer RP you don't need to actually kill players. The first few kills can be ragdolls and then you have the opportunity to provide an interesting backstory, get people involved and then people might be OK with being Serial Killed. Blackout has done a few RPs like this and they work very well. He's even had people consent OOC to be victims.

* You've reached the maximum limit of ragdolls (1) spawned at a time! *
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:38 AM)goigle Wrote: [ -> ]

This is exactly what I did the other day with Oneshott and Ketchup.
I roleplayed having barrels in my vehicle and got pulled over,
The police found out I had bodies in the barrels.

No players were killed and was alot of fun.

Just feels like people are not so interested in joining roleplays and that's one of the main issues.
(Apr 27, 2020, 12:59 PM)Mrhowe Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest in some ways i can see where they are coming from, i remember back on rockford me and my friends used to create small villages out the way of the city with custom build houses ect. admins shut that down quickly. i created a border that took maybe 10% of the corner of rockford we had a proper functional border, passes, security, police, laws everything for a made up country connecting to rockford leading to some great rp and conflict of being next to a border of two different places. that also got shut down very quickly

[Image: 41ec92806a85292399b0d23722712aa6.png]

i never got to do those rps again and its a shame as i absolutely loved then i spent days building dupes for country rp making sure it was believeable as possible making signs ect for the border and the laws but since the rule came out shortly after a big gunfight between borders ive never been able to build a dupe again i remember everytime i asked it was the same response 'too many players on the server for the dupe' or some other excuse that made no sense.

while i dont agree with all of what they are saying and i believe alot of the rules are in place for a good reason i do agree limelight seems to just be getting stricter and stricter and the playercount as only seemed to drop since rockford.

Now I haven't been active in-game that much, since October/November, but I know where you're coming from.
In my almost 7 years of moderating/administrating at FL and LL I've come across many situations where spontaneous RPs really brought life to the server. 
I enjoyed those spontaneous country rps such as hobo RP and alike where parts of Industrial/suburbs were like ghettos.
People were afraid to enter those areas and local news reporters (citizens) would keep the public posted while securing an exclusive interview with those groups. The whole server would adapt to that unseen situation and it was great.

(Apr 27, 2020, 11:05 PM)ForceGhost Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:
(Apr 27, 2020, 06:38 PM)ForceGhost Wrote: [ -> ]Rules need to be revamped.

They limit aggressive RP too much while not providing enough incentive for passive RP.

I mean, every time we try to do passiveRP we get some form of punishment. It's odd when you've been punished more times for doing passiveRP than for doing aggressive RP.

Really? That's interesting. I've been trying to think of game mechanic ways to incentivize passive RP for a while but I can't really come up with anything. What rules got you punished for passiveRP?

Off the top of my head:
  • Vehicle access taken when driving through red lights.
  • 2 week suspension and PTE access taken when building a fishery at the lake on true north.
  • Vehicle access taken when using a tow truck to steal vehicles.

Reps/Player Reputation system would be a good way, but again could be easily abused. More Rep items would be a way to encourage more thoughtful RP but that can also just lead to ass-licking.

After all we are a semi-serious server thus taking vehicle access for running red lights is stupid imho.
It's an IC matter and cops must deal with it.
2 weeks pte for simply building something that small (fishery) is weird too. I'd get it if that build was interrupting other rps and/or stressing the server too much. Now I'm not familiar with your case and am not going to question the executing staff members decision, I am just generally speaking. 

Restricting V access for stealing vehicles by using a tow truck is reasonable. I think I would have taken it away too,
mainly because a tow service owner/worker should not abuse their functions. Now if a civilian stole that tow-truck and decided
to steal other cars with it, that wouldn't be failRP imo, simply because there is now context to this situation.

We just had a staff meeting two days ago and I wished your points were brought up earlier . Nonetheless I am grateful you all voiced your concerns because it shows you still care. I respect that and appreciate. Thank you.

Maybe a community meeting would be the next right step or similiar. 

Like I said, I haven't been active in-game for a while now (mostly due to the backend part I'm dealing with), so I can't really judge the current situation. I can only read your reports, assess them for myself, put my experience into that assessment and form an opinion.

Once thank you all for raising your concerns and keep voicing them.
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:43 AM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 27, 2020, 11:43 PM)Duckie Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion:

Even though I have not been on the server for as many hours as most, I love it for two reasons.

1. The people I get to play with are always nice and really good with role playing, and they are people I would probably never get a chance to meet if not for Limelight. Lets take ‍ for instance. If not for Limelight, I would never have met this nice, funny, good at RP Welshman. I also would not have met the awesome people who are part of the clan I'm in. You don't find people like that where I live. If not for the diverse community of people, it would not be as fun or as interesting.

2. The RP is a huge part of my love for Limelight as well. I haven't found another RP server like it. It has so much opportunity and freedom. I can do, literally anything I want to in terms for living in a city. I get to do and experience things I never have before. 

Yes, there are parts of Limelight that could change but compared to the reasons of why I play, the flaws are nothing.

I may not have a lot of reasons to love it but they mean enough to me to continue playing it.

I will stand and play with this community for years to come.

I love the fact that between all those negative comments you're giving a positive one.

This was really needed, thanks.

There's a positive side to it all. :)
If there is a community meeting it might be a good idea to do it like the 1.6 meeting, where we only invite people who gave made good points and engaged in healthy debate, otherwise it will likely make as much progress as the thread will.
Now here are my thoughts on things to possibly change, and as always, I’d love to hear feedback. 

- Car theft rules. Like I said previously, cars get stolen all the time for the purpose of having a vehicle that cannot be traced back to the suspect. They commit a crime, and dump the car. In my opinion, this is completely acceptable, and should be allowed.

- The “Cop Baiting” rule. There is a fine line between whipping through Main St. at 100mph and going 10mph over. Speeding is not necessarily cop baiting, but I can understand the confusion. If you want to ensure the people aren’t cop baiting, perhaps have a license system. Something like if you pull them over for speeding, and you decide to give them a citation, it takes a point off your license. After three tickets in a certain amount of time, the license is suspended, and you have to pay to get it validated. 

- FearRP. Honestly, I’ve found the FearRP rule to be quite restricting. To put it simply, if I pull over a car, and dude hops out of car with a gun, you bet your ass I am too. That is not me disregarding my life, that’s me protecting it. Now granted, if you’re severely outnumbered and outgunned, then yes, you’re likely going to give up. 

Same goes for civilians though, if you ran over somebody in the mafia, and now the mafia has their guns out telling you to get in their car, you know you’re going to die. At that point I see no problem with attempting an escape. 

My point for that is if FearRP is truly about valuing your own life, it should be changed (IMO). Waving that white flag when the guns come out is not always valuing your own life.

As for racism, I agree with . I’ve never seen a Roleplay increased in quality because somebody dropped the hard r.
"Lmao it's just another wy-sec gang bang here" - Stell after the 1000th RP group ‍ and I set up.

Player turnover is the issue. If you want people to stay, you've got to keep them interested and I don't mean with more content (pls you're killing my poor computer) but rather stop restricting RP. Oh, and did I mention stop adding useless performance-killing content? Takes me 3 hours to load into the server, that's off-putting.
(Apr 28, 2020, 01:44 AM)Lord Octagon Wrote: [ -> ]"Lmao it's just another wy-sec gang bang here" - Stell after the 1000th RP group ‍ and I set up.

Player turnover is the issue. If you want people to stay, you've got to keep them interested and I don't mean with more content (pls you're killing my poor computer) but rather stop restricting RP. Oh, and did I mention stop adding useless performance-killing content? Takes me 3 hours to load into the server, that's off-putting.
As for your load in time, that’s something wrong on your end. I don’t even have the content pack downloaded and I load in within 60 seconds of pressing join.
(Apr 28, 2020, 01:44 AM)Lord Octagon Wrote: [ -> ]"Lmao it's just another wy-sec gang bang here" 

Legit only play for clanRP and build the server's gotten that fucking boring for me.

Lack of new players, lack of any fucking roleplay whatsoever, the bureaucratic attitude of the staff team where they can't make any changes to the server or ban any players who are toxic and making shit not fun for other players without going through a magical committee in their internal team discord, the contents of which will never be revealed because muh secrecy despite the community being founded on the basis of transparency (and if you tell me to apply for a community feedback role, fuck off I shouldn't have to).
(Apr 28, 2020, 12:00 AM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ] 

It's more along the lines of this:
  • Unfair and really random laws are put into place. For example, "Anybody who drives a car will be shot on sight and 5 random citizens will be executed in retaliation."
  • People get sick of that and overthrow the government
  • The ex government then goes to the effort of complaining on every single Limelight service for weeks about the scenario, disrupting every kind of conversation and discussion in a "what about me" style
  • The ex government then proceeds to target the roleplays of the people who overthrew them, going ahead and playing deafening music whilst carrying speaker props, starting shootouts directly next to passive RP in order to have an excuse to hostage everyone and scare them off from the RP, and continues with targeted, disruptive behaviour.
  • Everyone who overthrew them last time is unwilling to have the same hostile behaviour for weeks on end the next time those people do a bad dictatorship

I partly agree with what you're saying. But in reality, most government members wouldn't support this sort of dictatorship so the president would have to do a lot of work to first convince the government to 1. Not overthrow him and 2. Enforce his laws. Both of those are difficult and have already created a ton of roleplay. 

If these two objectives are not met then two things will happen.  The government takes down the president themselves ( A lot of roleplay and quite easy ) And/or the government doesn't enforce any ridiculous laws and therefore players' roleplay isn't affected. 

Although these things will happen, the problem is at the moment we allow this to happen with the rules. 
" Oh no my dictator roleplay was ruined and I died" Well you should have been a better dictator and ensured you had enough support. Then the whole community would adapt and become more interesting.
(Apr 27, 2020, 11:06 PM)goigle Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 27, 2020, 10:11 PM)Marvin Hampton Wrote: [ -> ]Lagg!! I am not a Developer and literally have no idea when it comes to server development. But I have played on communities with so much less lag in logs of different game modes. Sometimes it's virtually unplayable. Can something actually be done about this?

We're looking at a few things. I just finished college (except one class but sue me) and with corona I have some time on my hands. I won't make any promises but I am hoping to improve things

I mean this would be great. I have a pretty good computer and good wifi but as soon as I go above 15mph you can almost guarantee I'll freeze then suddenly smashed into the wall. Also, Standalone?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16