Limelight Forums

Full Version: Should players be punished on a low pop server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First of all:
I am not going to say who was involved, when it happened and who the staff member was, due to not wanting to point fingers at anyone.

So, recently at around 21:30 GMT, so kinda late there were 7 players on the server.

1 Staff that recently joined and just saw the situation. 3 Government Members and 3 Citizens.
2 Citizens were just chilling with them (or were previously) but werent actively involved in the rule breaking. The 3rd person was somewhere else and didnt come close to the place once.

So anyway what happened was that these 3 Government members were killing themselves over and over outside of the PD on mainstreet.

So this begs the question now: Did they really deserve to get a <*> hour weapon blacklist each and ruin their fun? The Staff member also talked to them that he understands their side of view aswell, it seemed like as if he really didn't want to blacklist them for just enoyjoing their time on a low population server where there was nothing else going on anyway.

From my point of view they didn't deserve that punishment. Or well, it was kind of unnecessary because nobody was interrupted, just 3 players having fun.

(And again, I don't want to point fingers at anyone, that's why I'm asking everyone involved to not directly speak up and rather show their point of view in a hypothetical manner. This should be a civil discuisson overall and I am interested in the opinions of other people, wether it be staff or players.)
Need more context, imho there's probably a decent reason a punishment was issued
(Jul 31, 2020, 03:18 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Need more context, imho there's probably a decent reason a punishment was issued

Well these 3 gov members (1 Swat and 2 Cops) were killing eachother over and over on the mainstreet. All 3 of them were content with it.
I chose to issue the blacklist not because i want to be a killjoy but because i think its still necessary to still enforce the rules, as an admin that part of my job. There were 6 or 7 players on when I joined, from the way I see it that is when the server gets traction, more players have an incentive and a reason to join because there actually are people on. but if all these players do, is to to have a  battle in main street/PD or somewhere else that is public and the other players that sees this will either, avoid it, disconnect from it or join it. If they avoid it then that's fine, If they disconnect from it that's not fine and if they join in on the fun that's also not fine, because stuff like this tends to snowball and before we know it we have a server that consists of RDM and pure mingery. that's not a server I would like to see. 

I was met with a conundrum; Fold completely to the fun that these players were having and let them break rules, ignoring the fact that I'm an admin and these were senior players that knew full well what they were doing was against the rules and despite a member of staff joining continued, or cave to it and let players break rules in front of staff and potentially have a thing like this snowball and become a pure minge server. I made a judgment call and did what I felt was the right thing to do.
Thanks for your input. I haven't considered that.
thats their job its to enforce the rules, but honestly i understand why the guys done it i probably would have too if i was bored and there wasnt many people on.

Ive done this aswell many times sometimes even with staff members just to have a bit of fun when nobody is on
i was the SWAT guy, i guess it was fair as we were in a pretty public place and decay told us to fight some where else (us 76 house for example) and we all were just having fun, not killing ourselves maliciously, just to kill some time or generally have fun.

also 
Quote:From my point of view they didn't deserve that punishment. Or well, it was kind of unnecessary because nobody was interrupted, just 3 players having fun

i can say we definently didnt really deserve as it was just us 3, maybe we killed one of those citizens but im not sure as i joined a bit later and just decided to join the RDMfest we were having.
also not pointing fingers but yeah, id say it was pretty shit, maybe if its malicious like just propblocking mainstreet or DDOSing/crashing the server, i think there shouldnt be punishments for server counts under maybe 4 unless its intended, not for fun or if the other people want to join in or agree to it.
also ill let staff or anyone else decide the server count punishment because im not sure but i think under 4 players should be fair.
also also
i dont blame decay entirely (slightly do but i got over it) for the blacklists, he could just have told us in OOC to go kill ourselves somewhere private or just warn us.

Apex

I really don't see why staff aren't using warnings more right now considering the playerbase is literally averaging 0 throughout the day and peaking at 20 for about 10 mins; yet staff are still dishing out punishments like they have the playerbase to sustain such activities. Please consider more soft touch methods of enforcing rules because you will just kill whatever chance you guys have left of reviving the server. 

(also consider that people are breaking rules because there is little to interact with on the server beyond other players.. a resource that is severely lacking right now).
oh and a followup to my post

Quote:thats their job its to enforce the rules, but honestly i understand why the guys done it i probably would have too if i was bored and there wasnt many people on.

Ive done this aswell many times sometimes even with staff members just to have a bit of fun when nobody is on

yeah i can agree, i killed d3st a few times maybe yesterday or a few hours before the night i fucked around, he was completely fine with it so i dont really understand why and what even was the purpose for the blacklist

Pat

I just fuck about even when the server is packed lol
(Aug 1, 2020, 03:21 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't see why staff aren't using warnings more right now considering the playerbase is literally averaging 0 throughout the day and peaking at 20 for about 10 mins; yet staff are still dishing out punishments like they have the playerbase to sustain such activities. Please consider more soft touch methods of enforcing rules because you will just kill whatever chance you guys have left of reviving the server. 

(also consider that people are breaking rules because there is little to interact with on the server beyond other players.. a resource that is severely lacking right now).

I see your point however (and my views do not necessarily reflect the views of the whole staff team here) respectfully disagree. 

That’s like saying if you broke a law and nobody found out, did you still break a law? The answer to that is a resounding yes. 

If you are knowingly breaking the rules and trying to take advantage of the fact that the player count is low, honestly you should be punished. 

A warning does nothing but puts it on record that you were spoken to. 

Do you mean to also suggest that we should ignore terms of service and issue warnings for DAs or trying to crash the server? Do you also mean to suggest that we should just issue warnings for mass propkill etc? I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time understanding your logic here with this..
(Aug 1, 2020, 03:29 PM)Pat Wrote: [ -> ]I just fuck about even when the server is packed lol

Oh we know.

Pat

(Aug 2, 2020, 07:36 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 1, 2020, 03:29 PM)Pat Wrote: [ -> ]I just fuck about even when the server is packed lol

Oh we know.

Do you think I care?

Apex

(Aug 2, 2020, 07:34 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]I see your point however (and my views do not necessarily reflect the views of the whole staff team here) respectfully disagree. 

That’s like saying if you broke a law and nobody found out, did you still break a law? The answer to that is a resounding yes. 

If you are knowingly breaking the rules and trying to take advantage of the fact that the player count is low, honestly you should be punished. 

A warning does nothing but puts it on record that you were spoken to. 

Do you mean to also suggest that we should ignore terms of service and issue warnings for DAs or trying to crash the server? Do you also mean to suggest that we should just issue warnings for mass propkill etc? I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time understanding your logic here with this..

please don't take my points of context for the sake of justifying your opinion; clearly TOS and serious rule breaks do not merit merely a warning, I kind of figured that was implied and to be honest i'm not sure what that straw-man was meant to achieve. 

With regards to your point about how rules are rules, etc. That would be fine and dandy in the real world and I agree people should be still held accountable, however. When your server is quite literally dying before your eyes and the population of which can barely even break what would be considered normally average you should consider extra tact when taking actions that might put people off playing.

And a warning shows someone has had a discussion about it yes, it shows they now know they should not do that; sometimes that is enough sometimes it is not, and you simply punish them more severely if they have been warned recently. Not every rule break deserves a punishment, not every rule-break is game ruining for the players. 

But ultimately you guys are the staff and you steer the ship but on the other hand I know I'm not the only one who thinks the above.
Pages: 1 2 3 4