Limelight Forums

Full Version: get rid of the us server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Explain your suggestion, in detail: remove the us server and stop paying money to keep it up

Explain why the suggestion should be implemented:

lets keep it real chief, nobody plays on the us server. I feel that it is a waste of resources and the money spent on that server could be better spent on the eu server and get things going on there. such as:
#1: pay someone to fix the lag
#2: more server events
#3: make a us proxy so the USA players get better ping on the main server

half the amount spent on hosting means double the amount of updates and shit for the main server
+Support.
I don't really know why a US server was opened and had so much work put into it, Limelight doesn't have a large US playerbase and most of the users are EU - UK

I haven't seen a lot of people on there either, maybe max 5? 

I wouldn't say close it completely, but maybe just if possible do what Greg said and use it as a proxy for the main server if possible, but I have no idea what the fuck im talking about so
(May 20, 2019, 11:57 PM)greg Wrote: [ -> ]Explain your suggestion, in detail: remove the us server and stop paying money to keep it up

lets keep it real chief, nobody plays on the us server. I feel that it is a waste of resources and the money spent on that server could be better spent on the eu server and get things going on there. such as:

half the amount spent on hosting means double the amount of updates and shit for the main server

+ Support

I hate to say it but greg's right, the US Server is dead these days, with basically no-one ever going on it and when they do, it's just to farm weed in peace. Now onto the points that he's brought up:

#1 - The Lag - I think this has been addressed in other posts before by staff members and there's not a lot that can be done about this due to the limitations of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be more stable but there's not an easy way to fix it sadly.
#2 - Server Events - Now this one I completely agree with. As an extension to this, why not bring the event server back in its place? From what I remember of playing here a few years ago, the event server was incredibly popular with anywhere from 20 - 30+ people joining it due to the freedom to select different maps that you don't usually get to play on and having good RP's setup by staff.
#3 - US Proxy - I have no idea how this would work / if it would actually work but I'd be all for it if it's something that's possible. Since we're promoting a sense of community here, it'd seem logical to try and keep everyone on one server, so this could be a way for the US people to enjoy that without as much lag / ping problems.
+Support, whilst the US server was initially a good idea, it soon sunk after it's release. Unless there's any big plans or pushes for the US server coming then I just see it being a burden on Limelight, and a waste of resources.
(May 21, 2019, 09:03 AM)Benporium Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 20, 2019, 11:57 PM)greg Wrote: [ -> ]Explain your suggestion, in detail: remove the us server and stop paying money to keep it up

+ Support

I hate to say it but greg's right, the US Server is dead these days, with basically no-one ever going on it and when they do, it's just to farm weed in peace. Now onto the points that he's brought up:

#1 - The Lag - I think this has been addressed in other posts before by staff members and there's not a lot that can be done about this due to the limitations of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be more stable but there's not an easy way to fix it sadly.
#2 - Server Events - Now this one I completely agree with. As an extension to this, why not bring the event server back in its place? From what I remember of playing here a few years ago, the event server was incredibly popular with anywhere from 20 - 30+ people joining it due to the freedom to select different maps that you don't usually get to play on and having good RP's setup by staff.
#3 - US Proxy - I have no idea how this would work / if it would actually work but I'd be all for it if it's something that's possible. Since we're promoting a sense of community here, it'd seem logical to try and keep everyone on one server, so this could be a way for the US people to enjoy that without as much lag / ping problems.

Yeah what this guy said
+Support

died instantly
(May 21, 2019, 06:59 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]+Support

died instantly

Think about all the updates you can do on truenorth instead!

Also suggestions aren't being implemented as there is now server cache. Well now there will be!
(May 21, 2019, 07:22 PM)Dav1d1050 Wrote: [ -> ]Also suggestions aren't being implemented as there is now server cache. Well now there will be!

What?
Was worth a shot, but it never really worked out.

+Support.
(May 21, 2019, 07:23 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 21, 2019, 07:22 PM)Dav1d1050 Wrote: [ -> ]Also suggestions aren't being implemented as there is now server cache. Well now there will be!

What?

Translate from jargon and say what's wrong for us non-server-running simpletons please :)
(May 21, 2019, 08:41 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 21, 2019, 07:23 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]

What?

Translate from jargon and say what's wrong for us non-server-running simpletons please Smile

I don't know what he means.
+support

Absolute waste of resources.

you fellas got any reasons of why you -supported
(May 20, 2019, 11:57 PM)greg Wrote: [ -> ]#1: pay someone to fix the lag

#1: There can be multiple reasons for a lag (Map, User Bandwidth, Bandwidth in general), thus we can't 'just fix' it. This needs in-depth research and testing. Rest assured, it's almost always the map. At least from what I've experienced.
#2: This is on the list and being worked on.
#3: We had a proxy in the past (2016) and were not satisfied with the results. The server is physically located at a proximity close to US (Canada), thus there is not much we could do to improve pings from people connecting from Non-US countries.
Not to mention the additional costs that would arise for running industry-like-proxies (Racks, Anycast, ...)

Thank you for raising your concerns. We'll make sure to include them when discussing the US Server.
Pages: 1 2 3 4