Limelight Forums

Full Version: [Sour Talk] The EU Referendum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: 6672ca34faef55b4afcd116bb196d1c77b8a2f3c_full.jpg]

_______Sour Talks_______
The EU Referendum

What are these "Sour Talks" threads about?

So, As a lot of the older members of the community know, I have been having it rough not longg in the back and I have been looking to keep positivity of not only myself but others as I have been trying to support others who I call friends or people I care for which are suffering from depression and more and I remember when I was doing things in schools, I got many mental bricks into my mind. I have decided to start writing threads like this so we can give luck or even discuss things to support each other as part of a community because without positivity or happiness in the world, life and seem a really dark and depressing place. I know this and I still see it like this for a long time so I thought we could have discussions with these "Sour Talks" and remember what it use to be like for people or what it is in that case for people who are like 194919 years old...
*cough cough* SirWulf *cough cough*

Sour Talk: The EU Referendum

So, as most people know who are from the United Kingdom, there is a big vote going on starting on the Thursday 23rd June 2016 to vote if the United Kingdom should stay in the UK, Personally - as I am english, I have fallen nosey to see what people think about the EU referendum and maybe even people who are foreign because I have been speaking to some of my friends and they don't know much about it. I know there was a chat about this when the EU Referendum started however, as it's coming closer to the end date, i was interested to see what people think about it. For those who don't know about the EU Referendum, I have left the UK Gov link detailing about the Referendum.

https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/
You kids have fun deciding that one. Peace out. O7
I am relatively undecided, but am leaning heavily towards the leave camp.

Someone please submit a factual based argument (with citations) to change my mind. Let the discussion begin?
The way I see it.

If we leave RIP trade, but then again we no longer have to bail Greece out.
Also we will receive little to no assistance from France in terms of border control, so I have a mixed opinion
I'm in the same boat of Jono, I just don't know. From watching the news and stuff I've not seen any evidence from either side, and I just see claims.
Video for Brexit (Britain Exit), which brings up the fact that the "stay" side is pumping out lots of scaremongering to push people to stay. Also quotes Norways' two referendums and how the scaremongering worked then.
https://youtu.be/7WiqTpQReY8

Video supporting the "Stay" side, bringing up facts and arguments on the cost of the EU and some possible unforseen consequences of leaving the EU. (Title of the video is slightly wrong though).
https://youtu.be/33BDDAUV8vg

MAKE SURE TO WATCH BOTH VIDEOS ENTIRELY IF YOU START.

If you want to be possibly influenced by my own opinion, read the spoiler below (REMEMBER IM NOT BRITISH)
Personally I feel more inclined to stay in. (not that I'm allowed to vote yet lol)
Yes, the EU does limit trade somewhat and allow for free migration into the sacred British Isles, but from what I've seen most of the Leave arguments are more patriotic than  standing on solid grounds.

That's not to say it's completely invalid; but for example Boris' claim that we were being walked over (paraphrasing, can't remember exact quotes or statistics) because we had been overruled for 40 odd decisions - comparing to the 300+ decisions where the UK was listened to.

Slightly Off-topic, but I have a friend on Facebook who really likes to take the piss and make satirical posts regarding some generalised Brexiteer campaigns, if y'all interested. This isn't to say it's the view of all Leave-Voters. \
(Tryin' real hard to not to start any flame wars, is it working?)

[Image: ef7204a11960b5b5dd42e611f57d0126.png]

[Image: 632cdb77ff08c56269b8f9f88a634ded.png]

[Image: f3aa58e90bd5223ef4fa7412a87c452b.png]

[Image: ec86c4a0e0722dacf582bc4122b7ded0.png]

[Image: 074da246ca94e5fbb4b423c6cbdff929.png]

I will be voting leave.
Time to go and vote for those who can
I could see a more independent Britain.
However I'm not really too fond of the
image represented by most of the parties
that have sprouted up to initiate this movement.

I think they need to really plan ahead a bit more.
Their campaign focuses too much on the part
about leaving the EU and not enough on how to
maintain a stable economy with trade on their
own.
(Jun 23, 2016, 08:55 AM)evilmat360 Wrote: [ -> ]Time to go and vote for those who can

Have fun, Mat.
Time to go vote that we remain inside the EU.
I'll be voting remain, but it's a close call. I've looked at the economic and immigration arguments from both sides for quite some time now, and while some of the arguments sway me more to one side than the other, there is so much dirt and bullshit out there that it's hard to get a clear picture. Even the BBC Debate was a nuisance; bickering and posturing obscuring all of the facts.

What I do think is very clear is that a leave vote will be very detrimental to science, engineering, and technology as a whole. Research and development projects will be impacted, both small and large. While the internet and the open source movement will help to some degree, there is still a lot of confidential data that can only be accessed thanks to a shared EU membership. There are massive projects such as Sentinel, LISA, LHC, and many more that rely on international cooperation and funding. With so many EU countries saying they would play hardball if the UK left, that likely means a drop in cooperation on these projects, and a loss of shared data. We've seen many high-profile scientists, engineers, and Nobel Prize Laureates back remain for this very reason. While cooperation is still possible after a Leave vote (see how Russians and Americans get on in space), it's much less likely (they only did it out of necessity). If we reject the EU, can we really expect to remain a major player in the European Space Agency, or to see cooperation and data sharing between universities and other institutes to the degree we see today? I doubt it, and I've no reason to doubt the many scientists, engineers, doctors, etc. who have backed the remain camp on this issue.
If you weren't already persuaded and want to see a list of things that won't exist, head to the EU funding portal and have a look through all the projects, prgrammes etc.

The majority of them are all based around science etc and that will be a catastrophic loss to our universities , researchers etc.

https://portal.funding-portal.eu/eu-projects/list

Here's also a list of funding opportunities that won't be open to us any more https://www.funding-portal.eu/funding-opportunities/

This link may only be Scotland I'm not 100% but have a look none the less.
It's important to put patriotism to the side in favour of looking at the little people.
If we leave, I know at least three people (or their dads) who will go out of business.

My own mother, who lives abroad (not even in the EU, she's in Asia) will have her business affected.
As Marty said, funds and research is largely subsidised by the EU. If we leave, who's going to do that?

I just sincerely hope the older generation don't ruin the vote for us. They're on their way out... kind of a dick move to leave us to clean up the result of their ingrained Germany hate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5