Limelight Forums

Full Version: LL is dying cos of the shit community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Tell me I am wrong.
  • People literally hunt to yeet people off the server via Player Reports.
  • Fairly normal discussions generally lean into bitching and bickering.
  • People keep complaining at staff for the most useless shit.

While there are definitely other problems. This is it.
LimeLight has officially become a more outrageously toxic community in my mind than Rainbow Six: Siege.
I can agree with that
We can sort the PR issue by making them visible only to the accused and the accuser, with staff able to whitelist any people who bring potentially useful evidence. This stops the whole thing with the public bickering and showboating in the PR section to some extent, as people don't then have a platform to go "LOOK AT ME, I DISLIKE THIS GUY AND AM REPORTING HIM. ATTENTION IN THE DISCORD PLEASE!"

ForceGhost

Yeah, I agree too.
(Jun 2, 2020, 02:38 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]We can sort the PR issue by making them visible only to the accused and the accuser, with staff able to whitelist any people who bring potentially useful evidence. This stops the whole thing with the public bickering and showboating in the PR section to some extent, as people don't then have a platform to go "LOOK AT ME, I DISLIKE THIS GUY AND AM REPORTING HIM. ATTENTION IN THE DISCORD PLEASE!"

That doesn't stop people going on the server to PR someone.
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:01 PM)Dick Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2020, 02:38 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]We can sort the PR issue by making them visible only to the accused and the accuser, with staff able to whitelist any people who bring potentially useful evidence. This stops the whole thing with the public bickering and showboating in the PR section to some extent, as people don't then have a platform to go "LOOK AT ME, I DISLIKE THIS GUY AND AM REPORTING HIM. ATTENTION IN THE DISCORD PLEASE!"

It doesn't, but it helps stop the posturing that happens in the PR section
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:09 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:01 PM)Dick Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you want more censoring or less? because at this point I have no clue anymore.
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:12 PM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:09 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2020, 03:01 PM)Dick Wrote: [ -> ]That doesn't stop people going on the server to PR someone.

Do you want more censoring or less? because at this point I have no clue anymore.

I want the PR section to remain only visible between people involved in that particular PR, so as to avoid people using the PR section like a place to publicly air their personal grievances.
I'm hopeful the new rule-set will help with this somewhat. It can't do anything about people's attitudes to PR's immediately but I hope that as people and staff to adjust to a far less regulatory, much more lenient style of moderation, players will act a bit less litigious and would just deal with issues IC or by friendly chat. There'll always be outliers but hopefully staff and players can tackle those fairly readily.

As for whinging at staff, this is a big nuisance to many. It's a small gaming community, there's nothing special about a staff position but that somehow needs knocking into the heads of some people. At least from a dev perspective, we're fairly sick of being treated as if it's some "us vs them" or "ivory tower" crap. Fortunately it's still just a small, vocal minority, but getting continuous complaints instead of normal conversation about the most minor issues - an update they don't quite like, not knowing what the next update will be in detail, feeling aggravated over a minor warning or ban - is draining. All of this is really minor shit in the grand scheme of things; if they don't go your way, please simmer down and treat each other with respect, at least.

That being said, it's precisely because of these issues I don't really take part in the community any more outside of dev/forums, so maybe I'm not the best placed to advise on these problems. I'm happy to see the community talking about it at least; it's good to understand what you guys feel the situation is like, and if there's anything that can be done to help.
Turn Pr's offs. lmao
I'd agree to a certain extent. Honestly we fortunately don't have many of those people in the server, PR threats for minor things aren't really taken seriously. Coming from an active player just a few months ago - it's not the community, I'm just bored.
LL is dying as it isn't fun more like player base has always been shitty but what do i know
#Rockford
Just have no rules duuuh...

Goddamn, I'm smart.

And yes I must agree.
Our community is not growing, and there's a good reason for that. This reason both serves to limit the appeal to new players and also serves to decrease interest in the game for loyal players. The simple reason for this is a lack of new and interesting content.

New content allows our gamemode to seem more interesting to new people browsing for servers and also adds dept for loyal members of the community. When there is no new content, our gamemode begins to become outdated and unappealing to new players looking for new experiences. And for the loyal members, they gradually fade away as something new catches their eye and our little server becomes forgotten.

This is the state which our server presents itself in today. We are years behind other servers in content, our older players have nothing new to experience, and thus our veteran members are fading away and no new players feel compelled to join.

This also comes into play for the current topic of discussion: toxic community. Communities in games form from people uniting under a common goal. That goal may be becoming rich and powerful through rare items, self motivation and security through a sense of community, and various other reasons. The problem with LimeLight is that there is no common goal amongst players to unite them. Money is too easy to earn, items too easily accessible, and other rewards such as those earned through REPs unsatisfactory or unclear on how to obtain. 

Thus, we have no sense of community other than a few small groups of friends and clans. Unlike clans of the "old days" back on pre-split FL, many of the clans of today are not centered around things like contra whoring or security. Players already have everything they need so why join a clan? Well the answer is simple: a sense of community and also something to do.

Much like a bunch of children locked in a room with nothing to do, they'll start abusing each other for entertainment. Clans are now formed for actions surrounded around confrontations. Whether that may be mild antagonizing or outward aggression, people are so bored to the point that being dicks to each other is the most fun thing to do. And what could be seen as mild banter between friends is seen aggression and annoyances by most players as there is no overarching sense of community and common goal amongst players. 

So what does this all mean? Our server is outdated and lacking anything new to do, leaving potential new players to look elsewhere and older players to fade away. Whoever stays in hopes of things changing and recapturing the glory days they once had where everything felt fresh and exciting are left bored and frustrated. If those loyal players do not end up leaving they typically end up just annoying each other for fun because that's all they have left. 

So how do we fix this? We need a new set of challenges for veteran players to take on. New heights to reach and a satisfying feeling of accomplishment once they reach that goal. Think back to old FL with the gas mask. For you newer players, the CSS Gas Mask suit used to be restricted to people with 10 RPpoints and anyone who had one was seen as the coolest person on the block. That gas mask suit gave someone a feeling of status and accomplishment once they achieved it. 

LL lacks anything like that these days. Give players something to shoot for and truly enjoy. Something which they can show around and have other people admire and envy them for. Like a Skillcape on Runescape or the Gas Mask of old, people need a goal to shoot for. Make it a goal achievable by individuals but more fun to work for with friends. This will slowly grow the interest in the game beyond farming weed and making money and hopefully build a healthy and cooperative community once again.

This was typed on my phone and I text like a boomer. Sorry for any typos.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5