Limelight Forums

Full Version: LL is dying cos of the shit community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(Jul 11, 2020, 12:58 AM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]If there's any takeaway from anything i've said, or any point you've responded to, it is that something has to happen ASAP. That's not your fault by any means, but 'management' need to be active and not delay making an actual move here.

Not even being dramatic, but it should be peak earning season - when I was in B.team the revenue of summer often saw us trough lulls of income during winter. If this is peak summer, then clearly by christmas all the cash will be dried up.

It's not an opinion anymore that limelight is dying, it's diagnosis is terminal unless it can get the love and manhours it needs.

I won't hold my breath.

We've got a few options available, I'll agree.

We put out a call for contributors. We've done that, we've had 1 appear. Every other time, a ringing silence.

We hire externally, which rapidly increases costs. In-community developers are often okay to low-ball, and understand these situations better, already have knowledge of the processes, and are up to speed with what's going on, whereas external ones need any background (NDA), need to be brought up to speed with processes, read documentation and the codebase itself, all before anything is made, combined with hefty costs.

And really, I can't think of anything else. Unless we do something radical like open-sourcing, but even then that assumes that people commit PRs and such, instead of just starting their own servers.

We can't just wave a wand and magic up new devs.
Honestly, yeah the community was toxic but there were never any major major problems apart from the whole A37 gang shenanigans back in the day 

For me, the server just got boring - the RP became the same, nothing new and nothing that interested me. It’s like comparing apples and oranges but take Altis Life, roleplay.co.uk has had a fantastic player base for over 6 years now so they must be doing something right. But for someone who’s spent a vast majority of their time playing gmod and limelight, it just got boring
(Jul 12, 2020, 02:00 PM)soupream Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, yeah the community was toxic but there were never any major major problems apart from the whole A37 gang shenanigans back in the day 

For me, the server just got boring - the RP became the same, nothing new and nothing that interested me. It’s like comparing apples and oranges but take Altis Life, roleplay.co.uk has had a fantastic player base for over 6 years now so they must be doing something right. But for someone who’s spent a vast majority of their time playing gmod and limelight, it just got boring

#ad
I might have something to do with it 😉
(Sep 1, 2020, 05:02 PM)Qannter Wrote: [ -> ]I might have something to do with it 😉

don't flatter yourself
(Sep 1, 2020, 05:02 PM)Qannter Wrote: [ -> ]I might have something to do with it 😉

Shut up.
ima pop my head in and yell at you kids on my lawn one more time

Community is toxic, has been for years. The "glory days", at least as I knew them, are long gone and so have a majority of the people from those days, staff or otherwise. Whats left is a small "community" of people who are too busy bickering and fighting, while the dev office is on fire trying to pump the water out of the ship. People claim that the staff team are the devil, and that there's so much red tape that it's coming out every hole it can; Staff team claim the exact opposite. Back in the day at least, I'd say it was 50-50 on staff members on their towers, wearing nothing but the red tape, and the ones who really didn't give a fuck, cause it's a game.

It's a fixable situation in some ways, but not forever. and the real question is how many of you, deep down want to fix it, or want LL to die? For cityrp 2 to be released or open sourced, so other servers can open up and potentially revive the gamemode? almost like a change of management in a bankrupt company can turn things around, not saying that that is what I personally believe.

Garry's Mod itself is also just... dying out, especially the more serious scene. You can look at steam stats, player counts steadily falling for years. There will come a point where someone is either gonna have to call it, or make some hard decisions. I mean shit, I join the server every now and again and it's always still the same 15fps, get run over and die in the first 5 seconds mess it always has been, just with more windows and downloads, and less people.

just my two cents. People tend to forget the glory days had their major problems too.
(Sep 3, 2020, 04:46 AM)Brax Wrote: [ -> ](This post was last modified: 4 hours ago by Brax. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: fuck you )

Sad
(Sep 3, 2020, 04:46 AM)Brax Wrote: [ -> ]ima pop my head in and yell at you kids on my lawn one more time

Community is toxic, has been for years. The "glory days", at least as I knew them, are long gone and so have a majority of the people from those days, staff or otherwise. Whats left is a small "community" of people who are too busy bickering and fighting, while the dev office is on fire trying to pump the water out of the ship. People claim that the staff team are the devil, and that there's so much red tape that it's coming out every hole it can; Staff team claim the exact opposite. Back in the day at least, I'd say it was 50-50 on staff members on their towers, wearing nothing but the red tape, and the ones who really didn't give a fuck, cause it's a game.

It's a fixable situation in some ways, but not forever. and the real question is how many of you, deep down want to fix it, or want LL to die? For cityrp 2 to be released or open sourced, so other servers can open up and potentially revive the gamemode? almost like a change of management in a bankrupt company can turn things around, not saying that that is what I personally believe.

Garry's Mod itself is also just... dying out, especially the more serious scene. You can look at steam stats, player counts steadily falling for years. There will come a point where someone is either gonna have to call it, or make some hard decisions. I mean shit, I join the server every now and again and it's always still the same 15fps, get run over and die in the first 5 seconds mess it always has been, just with more windows and downloads, and less people.

just my two cents. People tend to forget the glory days had their major problems too.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to save Limelight at this point. Those who used to care already left and there isn't much of a push from either side trying to save LL. Though, I must say that the 15 FPS thing is wrong. Goigle's update helped FPS a lot.
Aye. I heard you guys are struggling too? Us over at Fearless are dying too.

‍ Please either merge communities or just overthrow Divey. I am begging ya' dude. I'm begging ya'. 

If not then let's see which community that dies first. See you in the grave, lads.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5