Limelight Forums

Full Version: Pride Month + LGBT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The way I see it, I really don't care what people identify as because it doesn't affect me whatsoever. Want to be gay, bi or trans? Go ahead, not bothered by it in the slightest.

What I want to know in this thread is why people consider being transexual a mental illness? All I'm seeing is certain people saying they don't support it, yet no-one's provided a reason to explain why?
(Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]The way I see it, I really don't care what people identify as because it doesn't affect me whatsoever. Want to be gay, bi or trans? Go ahead, not bothered by it in the slightest.

What I want to know in this thread is why people consider being transexual a mental illness? All I'm seeing is certain people saying they don't support it, yet no-one's provided a reason to explain why?

No-one? I said why in my statement, because it's gender dysphoria and body mutilation - two things linked to mental illness. It is unnatural and people shouldn't be glorifying such illnesses.

On another note, why should people accept them for who they are when they can't even accept themselves for who they are?
this is disgusting, the lord doesn't accept gays. get a bible!
(Jun 15, 2019, 03:46 PM)Luvbunny Wrote: [ -> ]Octagon, i love who i want and i do as i wish, can you kindly piss off with your God, thanks

Please don't attack the person, if you have a counter arguement speak it, Dont start an arguement you can't finish.
(Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]What I want to know in this thread is why people consider being transexual a mental illness? All I'm seeing is certain people saying they don't support it, yet no-one's provided a reason to explain why?

People consider being transgender or transsexual (transsexual referring to someone who seeks or has undergone gender reassignment surgery) a mental illness because it is included in the DSM-5, the diagnostic manual for mental disorders. It is known as "gender dysphoria".

Here is the article from APA: https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-fami...-dysphoria
Here is a PDF of the DSM-5: https://files.pegia.se/dsm/DSM5.pdf

One of the main reasons why I think many consider it a mental disorder is the suicide rate. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, "More than half of transgender male teens who participated in the survey reported attempting suicide in their lifetime, while 29.9 percent of transgender female teens said they attempted suicide. Among non-binary youth, 41.8 percent of respondents stated that they had attempted suicide at some point in their lives."
https://www.hrc.org/blog/new-study-revea...-adolescen

If the suicide rate is that high, you can't just blame it on "transphobia" or other social factors.

Away from your post, I hate the whole idea of "transphobia" and "homophobia" and anything else like that. People aren't afraid of homosexuals or transgenders. If you don't like someone because of who or what they are, that makes you an asshole. You aren't afraid of them.
(Jun 15, 2019, 07:25 PM)Rydolph Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]The way I see it, I really don't care what people identify as because it doesn't affect me whatsoever. Want to be gay, bi or trans? Go ahead, not bothered by it in the slightest.

No-one? I said why in my statement, because it's gender dismorphia and body mutilation - two things linked to mental illness. It is unnatural and people shouldn't be glorifying such illnesses.

On another note, why should people accept them for who they are when they can't even accept themselves for who they are?

Do you mean gender dysphoria? No idea what dismorphia is? A lot of transgender people live happy lives without modifying their body. An whether people like it or not, in the UK it's not classified as a mental illness as far as I'm aware.

The thing is, they do accept who they are, it's other people who aren't transgender that can't seem to see it.
What i've sort of been reading about on this thread is that LGB arent the problem but more so the T my opinions of trans is i don't mind them but i don't think it should be allowed if you were for example born a boy then wanted to be a girl, All of a sudden identify as a girl, It's basic Biology it doesn't work like that, as i can't go identify as a Lion so why should i be able to identify as another form of a Human.
(Jun 15, 2019, 07:42 PM)Hungames Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]What I want to know in this thread is why people consider being transexual a mental illness? All I'm seeing is certain people saying they don't support it, yet no-one's provided a reason to explain why?

People consider being transgender or transsexual (transsexual referring to someone who seeks or has undergone gender reassignment surgery) a mental illness because it is included in the DSM-5, the diagnostic manual for mental disorders. It is known as "gender dysphoria".

Here is the article from APA: https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-fami...-dysphoria

One of the main reasons why I think many consider it a mental disorder is the suicide rate. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, "More than half of transgender male teens who participated in the survey reported attempting suicide in their lifetime, while 29.9 percent of transgender female teens said they attempted suicide. Among non-binary youth, 41.8 percent of respondents stated that they had attempted suicide at some point in their lives."

If the suicide rate is that high, you can't just blame it on "transphobia" or other social factors.

Away from your post, I hate the whole idea of "transphobia" and "homophobia" and anything else like that. People aren't afraid of homosexuals or transgenders. If you don't like someone because of who or what they are, that makes you an asshole. You aren't afraid of them.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the high suicide rate could be due to the lack of support for the trans community and inividuals that need it to be able become who they want to be?
(Jun 15, 2019, 07:49 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the high suicide rate could be due to the lack of support for the trans community and inividuals that need it to be able become who they want to be?

Believe it or not, everybody gets bullied, but that doesn't mean everyone attempts to commits suicide. This isn't the result of transphobia, it's the result of their mental illness and cowardice.
(Jun 15, 2019, 07:49 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 15, 2019, 06:59 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]-snip-

Social acceptance is definitely a factor, but I don't think it's the primary reason by any means. Those statistics were released in 2018 I believe. Especially with all the media coverage with Bruce Jenner and other new TV shows, the acceptance is pretty much widespread already. I don't know about in Europe, but in liberal areas in America, such as in NJ where I live, expressing any disagreement with the idea is met with a lot of hate. Even just saying you don't believe in it, but don't care is hardly acceptable anymore.

It's been proven to be a mental disorder, it's called gender dysphoria.
(Jun 15, 2019, 03:05 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 15, 2019, 02:54 PM)Cole_ Wrote: [ -> ]From the great Ben Shapiro:

Ahhh Ben Shapiro, the only person who can use playground arguments and think he sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. He takes a childish standpoint and prefers to insult and demonise his opponents by taking their viewpoints to the extremes. He uses enough straw men to fund a scarecrow shop.

His argument with the “If I call you a moose are you a moose?” is ridiculous because he’s simply projecting. He isn’t a debater he rants at the person without giving them a chance to speak. He gives this illusion of dominating the “debate” by doing this but all he ends up doing is talking louder than his opponent.

He might make illusions, but what he says is factual. He is saying that you CANNOT magically change your gender, it's not how biology works, which is completely true. I'm not saying I don't agree with transexuals, but merely stating that it is physically not possible to just change your gender on the flick of a switch.
(Jun 15, 2019, 08:19 PM)Cole_ Wrote: [ -> ]

It's been proven to be a mental disorder, it's called gender dysphoria.

If you're in the UK, no it isn't.

"This mismatch between sex and gender identity can lead to distressing and uncomfortable feelings that are called gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is a recognised medical condition, for which treatment is sometimes appropriate. It's not a mental illness."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/
so in conclusion:

hoes mad
Am I allowed to say I identify as a 60 year old so I can retire early and have a pension and free public transport?

Is an elder allowed to identify as a 16 year old so they can have sex with under-18s?

The context is the same. If someone "feels" like they're the different gender, then it means people can also say they "feel" like a different age - both have a lot to be abused.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7