Limelight Forums

Full Version: Add limit to laws.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Reopened from 's suggestion, due to circumstances ingame.

Explain your suggestion, in detail: Add a limit to the number of laws which can be in-place, of around 250/300 laws.
Explain why the suggestion should be implemented: Currently, there is a President on with over 700 laws. This causes the F1 menu to break for an unknown reason, with no error messages. /laws takes around 25/30 seconds to load.

These excessive amounts of laws aren't actually read by Police, as evidenced by the radio calls at the time, and 's comments in OOC.
They aren't read by the citizens, as evidenced by multiple complaints in OOC, including from , and others.
They cause the gamemode to break, as evidenced by F1 breaking.
They cause lag issues, as evidenced by the huge delay in /laws.

They cause issues, and aren't used. Let's limit them.
+support for an amount like this
yus.
+Support
+Support

My biggest problem with a lot of laws is that unless I was online when they were posted, they don't show up in the F1 menu for me.

That means I have to view them using /laws, which is hard to read in the chat box or through console.
+support

I'm simple so reading loads of laws is boring
Biggest +support I’ve ever given
-Support

I said it the last time, I will say it again. You don't need to know all laws. Even if there are 1000 laws, You might have to read like 5-10%. We shouldn't limit players because others don't want to read as much.

Instead there should be a focus to fix bugs regarding the visibility of laws instead of forcing users to circumvent said bug via the /law command. We should update the law section of the F1 menu to include tabs made by the president, so users can find the catagorized laws easier or a search bar where people can find what they want or when the [TITLE] is used, it is added in a table of contents on the top of the laws thus making easier to find sections required by the player.

Unless you are a lawyer you don't need to know every single law in existance. Let's not forget the fact that presidents with so many laws, most of the time categorise them and title them accordingly to assist the public into finding it already.
Until a proper search function is added for laws I think they should be limited, not to mention bugs should be fixed before it is possible again. +support for a 300 law cap.

In the future when it is fixed I honestly could see it be added as a rep reward even possibly.

I do understand the "Just cause people do not want to read does not mean we should limit others" But in this case it is 1 player impacting the whole server, it is something to keep in mind. When theres 500-1000 laws, even though I might not NEED to know all of them, I don't know that until I have read them all. It is excessive in my opinion.
(Oct 28, 2018, 08:10 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]-Support

I said it the last time, I will say it again. You don't need to know all laws. Even if there are 1000 laws, You might have to read like 5-10%. We shouldn't limit players because others don't want to read as much.

On LL you more or less DO need to know all the laws to avoid having your RP's ruined by the police.

Law 574.5: Windows that are blocked will result in the search and arrest of the owner of the property

Law 207.9: Vehicles going 20mph under the speed limit will result in the arrest of the driver

Law 385.3: Weapons above 9mm are illigal to own, but legal to sell.

These are examples, but the point is, if your flooding the laws tab with useless laws like

Law 194.1: All citizens are required to have an emergecy kit within their homes at all times

or

Law 389-425: (Insert the entire protocall for the nation going to war, and how diplomacy is to be held while at war)
(This one was actualy there today)

All it does is bloat a list of laws that are there to more or less for the sole reason to dictate how, when, and why you are to be arrested, and how it is to be handled, and what you can, and cannot do.

Includeing laws that have no effect on the activity on the server does nothing but bloat the list to the point where it is nearly impossible to actualy abide by the laws as even if you feel you dont need to know them all, there will be officers who DID spend the long amount of time to learn them all, and who WILL hit every citizen up they find in breach of said law, no matter how small, and no matter how much you yourself forgot you even had the law written like that.

Bloated laws prevent players acting as the police from learning them all to be able to enforce them, and if the police have a difficult time actualy learning the laws to enforce them, how are the regular players supposed to be able to actualy abide by them?
+Support
Have your Government Procedures on a hosted Document or a Forum thread, or suggest such addition.

Laws above the number 200, excluding titles etc is extreme.

For one, people have to read it.
For another, police officers have to read it.

The "laws" mostly seen are actually not laws but procedures.

+support
-support

I personally didn't complain about the laws on the OOC. I actually said I appreciate those who spend time to detail their roleplay, however, I did say I understand some people aren't interested in reading laws that might state some vital things that will decide whether or not they will get a citation or spend time in the correctional facility.

What I think that should be done, as named before, is to make a proper Laws window, seperate from the F1 menu so that it loads the current custom-made laws as well as the permanent laws whether or not x-user has loaded into the game along with a proper search function on simple things like ''Weapons'', ''Munitions'', ''Traffic'', ''General'', etc.

The argument that you need to know each and every law out of the top of your head is, in my opinion, invalid when you would have the tools to search specific laws for whatever x-action you're planning to do, buy, drive, etc.
-support  if there's errors, surely just fix them not change the whole fucking law limit that's stupid
(Oct 28, 2018, 10:31 PM)IVNT Wrote: [ -> ]-support Doctor Internet if there's errors, surely just fix them not change the whole fucking law limit that's stupid

I'm sure your read the entire OP, but just to re-iterate.
(Oct 28, 2018, 07:08 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]...for an unknown reason, with no error messages.

We can't really fix something where we don't know why it broke.
Pages: 1 2