Limelight Forums

Full Version: Florida school shooting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A shooting at Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School left 17 people dead and injured many others on February 14. Former student Nikolas Cruz, 19, was detained in connection with the mass shooting.

A lone attacker opened fire outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida near the end of the school day, then proceeded inside and continued shooting. He left 17 people dead and at least a dozen injured, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed to the media.

Twelve of the deceased victims were found inside the school building, two were found just outside and one in the street nearby. Two more people have succumbed to their wounds in the hospital.

The injured victims were taken to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital.

RT
https://www.rt.com/usa/418825-florida-shooting-high-school/

Social media videos showed terror Florida shooting

Students and passersby alike were in a state of panic when gunfire erupted at a South Florida high school on Wednesday — and the internet was able to watch in almost real time.

Social media users shared heart-rending scenes, including one recorded from within his classroom that shows several students sitting or lying down on the floor in between desks. (Link below)

NBC
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/soc...ad-n848176 Disturbing content
The fact that the media are blowing this up is interesting. There have been around 32 school shootings in the U.S. this year and the fact that the media showcases this one is interesting to say the least. Don't get me wrong, it's all really fucked up, yet the media has so much control over things like this, which isn't necessarily a good thing. This shooting is a tragedy. Rest In Peace.
(Feb 15, 2018, 06:52 PM)Falcon Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that the media are blowing this up is interesting. There have been around 32 school shootings in the U.S. this year and the fact that the media showcases this one is interesting to say the least. Don't get me wrong, it's all really fucked up, yet the media has so much control over things like this, which isn't necessarily a good thing. This shooting is a tragedy. Rest In Peace.

I don't understand how this wouldn't be news-worthy - Must be an American thing when 17+ kids are killed and it's not 'big news'...as opposed to trumps twitter comments or a thought piece on how Bitcoin causes hurricanes? 

:L
(Feb 15, 2018, 07:19 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 15, 2018, 06:52 PM)Falcon Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that the media are blowing this up is interesting. There have been around 32 school shootings in the U.S. this year and the fact that the media showcases this one is interesting to say the least. Don't get me wrong, it's all really fucked up, yet the media has so much control over things like this, which isn't necessarily a good thing. This shooting is a tragedy. Rest In Peace.

I don't understand how this wouldn't be news-worthy - Must be an American thing when 17+ kids are killed and it's not 'big news'...as opposed to trumps twitter comments or a thought piece on how Bitcoin causes hurricanes? 

:L

What I'm saying is I'm surprised the other 32 school shootings weren't newsworthy. I definitely think they should be newsworthy.
This is what happens when your country allows everyone to carry a gun.

>inb4 other crazy gunheads on ll want to bash me, but deep down they now I am right
Pretty awful that the shooter was able to get his hands on an AR-15.
(Feb 15, 2018, 09:01 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty awful that the shooter was able to get his hands on an AR-15.

I don't necessarily think that gun control has anything to do with this. Shootings are bound to happen. All over Europe there are shootings in countries that ban firearms. There's nothing you can do really, maybe just hype up security but still that results in a need for more jobs, more expenditures, etc.
(Feb 15, 2018, 08:47 PM)Fly Wrote: [ -> ]This is what happens when your country allows everyone to carry a gun.

>inb4 other crazy gunheads on ll want to bash me, but deep down they now I am right

I'm just saying that this man having possession of a firearm did not directly lead to this event. Of course it offered the man an opportunity, yet owning guns didn't cause this.
(Feb 15, 2018, 09:16 PM)Falcon Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 15, 2018, 09:01 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty awful that the shooter was able to get his hands on an AR-15.

I don't necessarily think that gun control has anything to do with this. Shootings are bound to happen. All over Europe there are shootings in countries that ban firearms. There's nothing you can do really, maybe just hype up security but still that results in a need for more jobs, more expenditures, etc.

Sort of true but the extent of shootings in the US far outweighs EU countries. 

Not an easy argument though as even if there was a blanket ban on guns, it would take decades to have any meaningful impact...Although if it stops one nutter getting his hands on it then it's arguably worth it...

What matters more, lives or protection against your own government? I think if I was a yank, i'd selfishly want my guns..

You really can't compare the states to anywhere else in terms of gun violence, it's simply not applicable imo.
(Feb 15, 2018, 09:19 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]

Sort of true but the extent of shootings in the US far outweighs EU countries...

You really can't compare the states to anywhere else in terms of gun violence, it's simply not applicable imo.

It all depends on how this shooter was able to get ahold of this weapon also. Was it a mishandling issue of relative that owns weapons? Did this teenager go to the black market and purchase this weapon?

Gun control is definately a hot topic within the United States, but this country was founded on the basis of weapony and revolt. Those deep roots are not bound to change anytime soon.

As an American myself, I believe in the right to purchase and own firearms. Its a definate security benefit against those who illegally obain weapons or want to hurt you our your property. What is left out of most of these arguments is other statistics about weapons in the U.S. Many robberies and such have been halted due to weapons, and some of those situations have ended without a single cartridge being fired.

Regardless, if someone truely wants to execute something with a weapon, they will find a way to get it.
(Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 PM)Firav Wrote: [ -> ]

Sort of true but the extent of shootings in the US far outweighs EU countries...

It all depends on how this shooter was able to get ahold of this weapon also. Was it a mishandling issue of relative that owns weapons? Did this teenager go to the black market and purchase this weapon?

Gun control is definately a hot topic within the United States, but this country was founded on the basis of weapony and revolt. Those deep roots are not bound to change anytime soon.

As an American myself, I believe in the right to purchase and own firearms. Its a definate security benefit against those who illegally obain weapons or want to hurt you our your property. What is left out of most of these arguments is other statistics about weapons in the U.S. Many robberies and such have been halted due to weapons, and some of those situations have ended without a single cartridge being fired.

Regardless, if someone truely wants to execute something with a weapon, they will find a way to get it.

Yeah right, it's a definite security benefit against other people who've bought guns for the exact same reason. Ugh, maybe if you guys in the US weren't such assholes to eachother, and actually learned not to jump people just because they're saying something you don't like.

Sort of true but the extent of shootings in the US far outweighs EU countries. 
The extent of terrorist attacks in the EU far outweighs the US. 

Not an easy argument though as even if there was a blanket ban on guns, it would take decades to have any meaningful impact...Although if it stops one nutter getting his hands on it then it's arguably worth it...
A blanket ban on guns doesn't do anything to stop criminals from acquiring weapons. It only affects legal gun owners since once you go outside the bounds of the law, you are committing a criminal act. 

What matters more, lives or protection against your own government? I think if I was a yank, i'd selfishly want my guns..
And it's not just protection against our own government. It's protection against criminals and others who want to do harm to you or others.

Gun violence is an issue as much as terrorism in EU countries. They both take lives, but the solutions are 

In the case of this shooting, no gun control acts would have stopped it besides a complete ban on weapons, which is unconstitutional and would never happen.
(Feb 15, 2018, 10:19 PM)Fly Wrote: [ -> ]

It all depends on how this shooter was able to get ahold of this weapon also...

Yeah right, it's a definite security benefit against other people who've bought guns for the exact same reason. Ugh, maybe if you guys in the US weren't such assholes to eachother, and actually learned not to jump people just because they're saying something you don't like.
You're automatically assuming that every American is out for blood and hates each other. If you weren't completely biased on stereotypes, you may be able to understand actual facts about weapons within the United States.
(Feb 15, 2018, 10:19 PM)Fly Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe he is 19 and purchased the weapon legally. He had no criminal record. 

We don't just go out and shoot people because they offend us. Please find me a source that says Americans regularly shoot each other cause someone else said a bad word. 
I dont think gun control would help much. Theres still so many fuckin guns that sure, maybe that guy couldn't get his own, but he probably has 15 relatives with safes full of guns that he would be able to take. Everyone has guns. It's basically impossible to just take them away from everyone. I do support mild gun control, though. A couple weeks ago all I had to do was sign a paper and check a few boxes saying im not a felon or addicted to drugs and got an AR-15. I also bought a glock completely paper-free and with a cash payment. (guns dont need to be re-registered here). I think those things should be a little more strict. Definitely wouldn't stop the shootings though. Lock your fucking cars too, thats how so many people get stolen guns. Or dont leave it in your car.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5