Limelight Forums

Full Version: Remove the NLR blacklist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=open_sansregular, Arial, sans-serif]READ THE POLL CAREFULLY[/font][/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=open_sansregular, Arial, sans-serif]EDIT:
[/font]
[/font]

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=open_sansregular, Arial, sans-serif]Implement a location-based AFK timer based on if the player crosses into that area. For example, if someone dies in the forest, there could be a red text that appears when you enter the forest that says "You have 10 seconds to leave your NLR zone before receiving a 10 minute penalty". The coding isn't overly complicated, and would actually be appropriate for the violation of the rule.[/font][/font]

Right so basically I was blacklisted for breaking NLR, with that horrific 10 minute timer. I'm going to copy and paste my logic from the UBLR to this thread, and we can all discuss as a community whether or not this should exist as a punishment. I encourage everyone to have an open-mind and look past "I don't like any blacklist". Let's discuss what forms of punishment will be beneficial to our community, and what will drive players away. As far as I'm concerned, an NLR blacklist is by far the most destructive and frustrating punishment that could possibly be given. Worse than a ban, it's honestly crippling to the experience. BEYOND THAT, I've quoted my albeit sarcastic logic - below.

Quote:I'm not saying that I didn't do it, I'm saying the punishment is stupid and inappropriate for the violation. I think you sort of read past my entire post and concluded that I'm still guilty therefore the punishment stays. That's not what I'm arguing. 

Let me try to further explain my point through a small course I've put together

HOW TO DECREASE SERVER POPULATION 101

Hello and welcome to my new course, how to lower the population of a Gmod server 101.

Today, we have a special guest, and a first-hand account of a player who doesn't want to play due to over-the-top punishments. Let's welcome our guest, Vauld!

Me: Hello Vauld nice to see you today.
Me: Yes thanks for having me on, I really appreciate it.
Me: So you don't want to play the server after your blacklist?
Me: No, in fact I would actively suggest that if players receive this infuriating form of punishment, they move on elsewhere.
Me: Wow! That seems like rash decision to make...
Me: Well no it's really not, so I made a mistake in about 10 seconds worth of playtime right. I broke NLR, that's fair... But let's break this down a little further.

I die on average 2-3 times an hour, perhaps from glitching, perhaps from getting hit by a car, perhaps from aggressive RP
My blacklist was issued for 3 or 4 hours, can't remember at this point.
Doing some math we can understand if I die the maximum of 3 times an hour, that is...
30 minutes out of an hour - where I'm supposed to AFK - HALF MY PLAYTIME

Sorry for being a sarcastic dick, but seriously - No one in their right mind is going to continue playing a server where half of the time they play, they have to tab out or AFK, or stare at a grey screen? This is not how we should be treating our player base, punishing in ways that makes them waste 50% of the time they play? Are we serious? What the hell kind of punishment is that. 

Imagine joining a server and having to wait on a black screen for 30 minutes, before being granted 30 minutes of playtime. That's essentially what experience we're giving here.

And the sad part is that anyone can break NLR in a few seconds, and the result can be HOURS of lost playtime. 

This form of punishment is not only illogical, it's ludicrous. It's a fundamental mistreatment of our player base. 

I don't mean this to be a personal attack on any one admin, but I think Limelight as a whole needs to rethink their punishments scheme, and the impact it has on the player base. I know first-hand how easy it is to type !Blacklist, but let me tell you - being on the receiving end, such punishments create a horrible gaming experience, far beyond what is appropriate in my mind for an NLR violation.

Hopefully if we can come to a logical solution to dealing with NLR violations in a constructive manner - The admin team will take a look at this, and listen to the community, which at the end of the day is what should be happening with situations like this. If we all agree we'd rather shoot ourselves in the leg than get an NLR blacklist, then maybe we should find a better way of dealing with it. But that's just my opinion, I'd love to hear everyone else's input!
Just a tip: Use the template
-Support
I am fully supportive of this punishment as I have seen the effect it had on me when I received it. Basically if you can't follow the rule you should be not trusted with being able to do anything until your time is up.
A more fitting punishment would be re-spawning someone who enters their NLR zone rather than forcing people to sit AFK for 10 minutes.
Project, I'm sorry but that logic makes me cringe. "If you can't follow the rules you should not be trusted with being able to do anything until your time is up".

So with this logic:

If you prop-kill, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you spawn a prop.

If you disrespect someone in OOC, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you type.

If you break Fear RP, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you see a gun.

If you CDM you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you try to spawn a car.

It's a terrible form of punishment. If you want something effective, make them wait 10 minutes once they've re-entered their NLR zone. Our players aren't even gonna be able to play the damn server if we just have the logic "WELP, IF THEY BREAK THE RULES, THEY SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT VIOLATION FOR 3 HOURS"
(May 28, 2017, 08:29 PM)PaulB Wrote: [ -> ]A more fitting punishment would be re-spawning someone who enters their NLR zone rather than forcing people to sit AFK for 10 minutes.

And showing areas where you are not allowed to go, for example if you die at Fish avenue, you cant enter there.
OT +Support
+support, if an alternative method of enforcing the rule is added.
(May 28, 2017, 08:31 PM)Vauld Wrote: [ -> ]Project, I'm sorry but that logic makes me cringe. "If you can't follow the rules you should not be trusted with being able to do anything until your time is up".
I honestly dont understand why you take my comment completely out of context? I never said all punishments should be the same?

So with this logic:

If you prop-kill, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you spawn a prop.
If you prop-kill, your tools are removed as you cant be trusted with them. If you do the same, you loose them for an even longer time or lose access to the server.

If you disrespect someone in OOC, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you type.
Again, if you can't follow the rules, you can't be trusted with having access to OOC. If you do it again, you lose it for even more time or lose access to the server.

If you break Fear RP, you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you see a gun.
You either lose your guns as you cant be trusted to use them properly or you loose access to the server as you can't follow the rules and roleplay being afraid of a gun.

If you CDM you should have to wait 10 minutes on a black screen every time you try to spawn a car.
Again, you can't be trusted with a car so you are not allowed to drive one.

It's a terrible form of punishment. If you want something effective, make them wait 10 minutes once they've re-entered their NLR zone. Our players aren't even gonna be able to play the damn server if we just have the logic "WELP, IF THEY BREAK THE RULES, THEY SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING RELATED TO THAT VIOLATION FOR 3 HOURS"
It is super effective. It is practically a 2-point system most of the time. You lose your access to a said ability and if you violate the rules again you possibly lose your access to the server again. If you are unable to follow the rules you should not have access to them. They are supposed not to be an enjoyable experience so as to deter you from breaking the rules again. After all they are called punishments for a reason.

(May 28, 2017, 08:29 PM)PaulB Wrote: [ -> ]A more fitting punishment would be re-spawning someone who enters their NLR zone rather than forcing people to sit AFK for 10 minutes.
So if you are going after someone and he goes into his NLR zone? He gets teleported mid-chase? Or even if you block them from going back there, how would you implement that?

If you go into the zone you should get the 10min afk force. But if you don't, everything should be fine.
So if you are going after someone and he goes into his NLR zone? He gets teleported mid-chase? Or even if you block them from going back there, how would you implement that?
I believe it could be done by checking if they are in the zone (using location system) and if they are teleport them back X paces until they are no longer in the zone, then the punishment is the fact that if they die at e.g city tunnel they have to stay in the city but can still roleplay.
Project I agree with you to some degree, but I don't think you're looking at this in the right way. We all agree if you CDM you should lose access to your car, if you RDM you lose access to guns.

My point is that right now, if you break NLR - You lose access to the entire game for 10 minutes every time you die. You should lose access to your NLR zone, not the entire game.
Seriously though, walking back to the NLR zone has to be one of the most minor rules you can break. You RDM'd? Lose your weapons or get banned. You walked back to where you died? Guess what buddy have fun enjoying the game for the next several hours.
Alright, the purpose of punishment shouldn't be to invalidate someone and make them a non-functioning part of society, rather take away some of their regular rights, while still having them being able to contribute to the gameplay.

NLR ban is appropriate in very rare cases, just like ptk blacklist for bs causing you to turn into aggroRP with weapons (because no props duh)
Yeah I'd rather get permabanned xddd lololol xjajasdhjasd asd asd FUCK
Pages: 1 2 3 4