Limelight Forums

Full Version: Your opinion on drugs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Recreational use of psychoactive substances

Stimulants, tranquilizers, (semi-)psychedelics, dissociatives, depressants, opioids, benzodiazepines/barbiturates and so on are often subject of recreational use/abuse.

These substances may induce different states of mind, and are therefore often sought after due to their potential of really just putting you in a 'dis pretty good mayneee' type of state. 

Some are physically harmful. Some are mentally harmful. Some aren't harmful at all. Some are highly addictive. Some are euphoric. Some are hallucinogenic. Some makes you question our universe. Some makes you question yourself.

Some make a change.

So roll up a blunt, smoke a cig or simply stare into your screen while you form an educated opinion in this thread.

Apex

Well, my opinions on drugs are somewhat open minded.

While I do not agree with regular drug use, such as recreational drugs. I also don't see the issue with using them from time to time, I mean if the government would lax on drugs such Marijuana as a legal drug (Like tobacco) I feel it could have good impacts in place that it might not be expected; like Prisons. Due to the fact Marijuana takes time to pass through the system many offenders in the UK turn to stronger and more addictive drugs in order to have the benefits of still getting high but also passing unexpected drug tests.

This can be statistically seen in prisons that have implemented (Under pressure from H.M.I.P) regular drugs testing; where prisoners have turned to Class A Drugs like Heroine as a weed alternative. This is basically condemning them to a life of addiction and if that not, possible relapsing. This could also significantly lower the number of Youth Offenders (Of which just take up massive resources by utilizing facilities like the Youth Offending Team, or Youth Offenders Prisons; which cost almost twice as much to run as a normal prison)

Then again it's not all sunshine and rainbows because you would still have the issues of unregulated product that has not been held to even the lightest levels of quality control. I suppose all in all it's just swings and roundabouts.
A long time ago, I was depressed from years of bullying and was almost prescribed antidepressants. I declined them because of I didn't want to become depenent on drugs to be happy and I wanted to feel as if my emotions were genuine, and not what the drugs were making me feel. I am in no way against others taking drugs for meantal issues as some people really do need them. Is there a small minority who takes them but don't really need to? Yes, but that is no reason to criticize the whole people who take them for that only hurts the ones that need medication for depression, ADHD, ADD, etc.

As for drugs made to combat infectious disease, I try to avoid them as much as possible and only take them as a last resort. I don't want to contribute to creating the world of antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

As for other drugs,

Coffee: Avoid it to prevent tolerance and dependancy, but use occasionally
Alcohol: Have tried it before, and I have no need for it in my life. 
Marijuana: Am interested in trying it once, but other than that I see no need to have it in my life. 
Tobacco: Fuck this shit. Kills 200k Americans every year, and I don't want to be a part of the list. Never tried it, never wil.
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:30 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]Well, my opinions on drugs are somewhat open minded.

While I do not agree with regular drug use, such as recreational drugs. I also don't see the issue with using them from time to time, I mean if the government would lax on drugs such Marijuana as a legal drug (Like tobacco) I feel it could have good impacts in place that it might not be expected; like Prisons. Due to the fact Marijuana takes time to pass through the system many offenders in the UK turn to stronger and more addictive drugs in order to have the benefits of still getting high but also passing unexpected drug tests.

This can be statistically seen in prisons that have implemented (Under pressure from H.M.I.P) regular drugs testing; where prisoners have turned to Class A Drugs like Heroine as a weed alternative. This is basically condemning them to a life of addiction and if that not, possible relapsing. This could also significantly lower the number of Youth Offenders (Of which just take up massive resources by utilizing facilities like the Youth Offending Team, or Youth Offenders Prisons; which cost almost twice as much to run as a normal prison)

Then again it's not all sunshine and rainbows because you would still have the issues of unregulated product that has not been held to even the lightest levels of quality control. I suppose all in all it's just swings and roundabouts.

Bans on lesser controlled substances such as the non-dangerous psychedelics (gonna include MDMA on this one) does more worse than it does good. First of all, you are not guaranteed to be given a safe product, the risk of it being cut with some dangerous stuff is high (pun not intended), and especially MDMA has been concentrated or cut with hazardous substances and a lot of people have suffered overdoses or death from other unwanted contents.
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:36 PM)Theo Wrote: [ -> ]A long time ago, I was depressed from years of bullying and was almost prescribed antidepressants. I declined them because of I didn't want to become depenent on drugs to be happy and I wanted to feel as if my emotions were genuine, and not what the drugs were making me feel. I am in no way against others taking drugs for meantal issues as some people really do need them. Is there a small minority who takes them but don't really need to? Yes, but that is no reason to criticize the whole people who take them for that only hurts the ones that need medication for depression, ADHD, ADD, etc.

As for drugs made to combat infectious disease, I try to avoid them as much as possible and only take them as a last resort. I don't want to contribute to creating the world of antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

As for other drugs,

Coffee: Avoid it to prevent tolerance and dependancy, but use occasionally
Alcohol: Have tried it before, and I have no need for it in my life. 
Marijuana: Am interested in trying it once, but other than that I see no need to have it in my life. 
Tobacco: Fuck this shit. Kills 200k Americans every year, and I don't want to be a part of the list. Never tried it, never wil.

I might drink 0-3 cups of coffee every week, which is pretty low actually, but only if i absolutely need the caffeine. Most alcohol i've ingested has been for the sake of the social functions and the taste of course. I rarely get drunk, i don't like the feeling of my liver hating me. 

Marijuana, only tried twice and it was interesting and i had some very bizarre experiences, won't do it again. I am interested in CBD oil to avoid nausea while attempting Ayahuasca, LSA or Yopo (Cebil seeds - won't snort this shit)

Tobacco, i took one "hit" off a cigarette, the taste alone could kill. Mate, nicotine should be a Class A controlled substance.

EDIT: I understand why some people might need benzodiazepines, and i also know how many people have become addicted to Xanax because of anxiety. It absolutely sucks.

Apex

(Feb 7, 2017, 09:37 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:30 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]Well, my opinions on drugs are somewhat open minded.

Bans on lesser controlled substances such as the non-dangerous psychedelics (gonna include MDMA on this one) does more worse than it does good. First of all, you are not guaranteed to be given a safe product, the risk of it being cut with some dangerous stuff is high (pun not intended), and especially MDMA has been concentrated or cut with hazardous substances and a lot of people have suffered overdoses or death from other unwanted contents.

Well, I was more referring to Class C drugs, but it's like the current wave of legal highs (As a result of almost total drug bans in the U.K bar prescribed) which are basically just whatever chemicals thrown into a tub and mixed up, only to be smoked by college students who have no idea how much danger they are in. So I guess it's either go commercial and have trading standards or keep pushing the dealers underground and keep letting them dominate the market with whatever deadly substance they feel like.
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:42 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, I was more referring to Class C drugs, but it's like the current wave of legal highs (As a result of almost total drug bans in the U.K bar prescribed) which are basically just whatever chemicals thrown into a tub and mixed up, only to be smoked by college students who have no idea how much danger they are in. So I guess it's either go commercial and have trading standards or keep pushing the dealers underground and keep letting them dominate the market with whatever deadly substance they feel like.

You're goddamn right. I dislike the fact that people abuse serious drugs as "party drugs" and literally go bonkers. You are guaranteed a bad trip, HPPD or serious illness (or death) if you mix MAOi's or SSRi's with alcohol, which is not a very unusual sight in a big club.
And is anybody claims that THC isn't addictive, have a talk with or

Apex

(Feb 7, 2017, 09:47 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]

You're goddamn right. I dislike the fact that people abuse serious drugs as "party drugs" and literally go bonkers. You are guaranteed a bad trip, HPPD or serious illness (or death) if you mix MAOi's or SSRi's with alcohol, which is not a very unusual sight in a big club.

Frankly I feel the government is taking the completely wrong approach to anti-drugs campaigns. 

All they are doing is pushing people away from getting help or asking for advice; you'll find it almost impossible to get advice on safety when using drugs without being told about how only instant death awaits beyond the gates of that first puff. So it just puts young people off getting advice.
(Feb 7, 2017, 10:01 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]

Frankly I feel the government is taking the completely wrong approach to anti-drugs campaigns. 

All they are doing is pushing people away from getting help or asking for advice; you'll find it almost impossible to get advice on safety when using drugs without being told about how only instant death awaits beyond the gates of that first puff. So it just peoples young people off getting advice.

Absolutely retarded to march 5 armed cops into some building scaring the shit out of 10 heroin addicts, then hit them with batons, destroy their lives even more and throw them behind bars where they will develop 50 mental disorders and eventually die from an overdose.

Apex

(Feb 7, 2017, 10:03 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:37 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]Bans on lesser controlled substances such as the non-dangerous psychedelics (gonna include MDMA on this one) does more worse than it does good. First of all, you are not guaranteed to be given a safe product, the risk of it being cut with some dangerous stuff is high (pun not intended), and especially MDMA has been concentrated or cut with hazardous substances and a lot of people have suffered overdoses or death from other unwanted contents.

All they are doing is pushing people away from getting help or asking for advice; you'll find it almost impossible to get advice on safety when using drugs without being told about how only instant death awaits beyond the gates of that first puff. So it just peoples young people off getting advice.

Absolutely retarded to march 5 armed cops into some building scaring the shit out of 10 heroin addicts, then hit them with batons, destroy their lives even more and throw them behind bars where they will develop 50 mental disorders and eventually die from an overdose.
The prison service needs to do so much more in terms of offender management when it comes to drugs; plus hiring private firms to do Prison Management was and is one of the worst ideas as they are only interested in money and not prisoner welfare. I will not say which firms but the major one made quite a mess in 2012. The point is; drug users are either ignored or directly targeted.
(Feb 7, 2017, 10:08 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:42 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I was more referring to Class C drugs, but it's like the current wave of legal highs (As a result of almost total drug bans in the U.K bar prescribed) which are basically just whatever chemicals thrown into a tub and mixed up, only to be smoked by college students who have no idea how much danger they are in. So I guess it's either go commercial and have trading standards or keep pushing the dealers underground and keep letting them dominate the market with whatever deadly substance they feel like.

The prison service needs to do so much more in terms of offender management when it comes to drugs; plus hiring private firms to do Prison Management was and is one of the worst ideas as they are only interested in money and not prisoner welfare. I will not say which firms but the major one made quite a mess in 2012. The point is; drug users are either ignored or directly targeted.

You are correct on your statements. When it comes to correctional facilities, USA isn't quite developed. Countries in Scandinavia have started implementing some more resources on rehabilitation, our system here still sucks though.

Also, what in the heck is USA doing. They charge thousands of dollars for rehabilitation of heroin addicts, are they out of their mind? I wonder how a money-deprived addict will go about having to pay more money to stop losing money.

Apex

(Feb 7, 2017, 10:14 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 09:47 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]You're goddamn right. I dislike the fact that people abuse serious drugs as "party drugs" and literally go bonkers. You are guaranteed a bad trip, HPPD or serious illness (or death) if you mix MAOi's or SSRi's with alcohol, which is not a very unusual sight in a big club.

You are correct on your statements. When it comes to correctional facilities, USA isn't quite developed. Countries in Scandinavia have started implementing some more resources on rehabilitation, our system here still sucks though.

Also, what in the heck is USA doing. They charge thousands of dollars for rehabilitation of heroin addicts, are they out of their mind? I wonder how a money-deprived addict will go about having to pay more money to stop losing money.

From what I understand the U.S just sit on their hands when it comes to drug users in prisons.
(Feb 7, 2017, 10:21 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 10:14 PM)Arach Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 7, 2017, 10:01 PM)Trus_me_daddi Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly I feel the government is taking the completely wrong approach to anti-drugs campaigns. 

From what I understand the U.S just sit on their hands when it comes to drug users in prisons.

It's ironic how they complain about the amount of lethal drug abuse even though they created a specialized anti-drug environment where the "user" is objectified and literally regarded as a criminal and not a breathing human being.
Two cents: The less you do, the longer you'll live.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8