Limelight Forums

Full Version: My Son's Surgery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Instead of continuing on the Feeling Down topic, which was really about my mild depression, I thought it best to start a separate topic on what is to come.

First, a few have expressed interest in donating for the little guy, which I appreciate.  I did finally give in and created a GoFundMe account.

So, for those that don't know.  I am the father of three children.  Our youngest is now 2.5 years old.  He is a 'heart baby'.  At two weeks it was discovered that he had a heart murmur which lead into a full scan investigation.  He was diagnosed with a Congenital Bilateral Heart Defect.

Long story short, instead of two valves, one one each side of the heart, he has one giant valve sticking in lopsided, cheating the right side of the heart and leaving a lot of holes and extra vessels connected to nothing.  We spent 4 months in the Hospital before he was released.  After that, he has been thru a ton of tests, check-ups and more surgeries to keep things going.

In 2.5 months he will be going thru his 9th Surgery on Tuesday.  This will be his 3rd Open Heart Surgery.

This is known as the Fontan Procedure which will repair his arch.  I won't go into detail, but it'll be his last chance.  The Doctors have told us that there is nothing else to do after this.  And, this will fail.  The Fontan will not last and his heart will give out.  What they don't know is when.  They have cases that it lasted 6 months, and cases where it lasted 30 years.

We are scared as hell.  First, it is an open heart surgery.  His 3rd one, each time you have one, the greater chance of the heart not starting back up.  Second, will it be a success, will there be any infections or rejections from the procedure?  Third, when will this give out?  Will he need a heart transplant for this 3rd birthday, or 30th?  So many unknowns.  And on that day, we'll be locked into a little room by ourselves just waiting for updates.

We leave Monday morning, very early.  The Children's Hospital is three hours away.  He has a Pre-OP so that the surgeon will have pictures, an idea of what he has to work with.  Then we all spend a night in a hotel room until we have to be back at 4:30 in the morning Tuesday, his surgery is at 5:30am.  Once done, he has a 7-10 day window for recovery, if everything goes well.

I'll have my phone on me.  I'll have steam chat on it, and this forums for me to stare at during all of this.  But I'll be away from home for awhile.

It is finally becoming real, it makes me nervous yet.... relieved that we can get this over with.  I've been there before, it was hell.  And want this over with.  The next few days is all I have left.

So, if you don't see me in the game for awhile, you all know why.

And... just because I feel in the need to show off, here is a few shots of the little guy thru his years:

[Image: dfq8cDf.jpg][Image: ndUVlRh.jpg][Image: YU27gca.jpg][Image: T8x21f7.jpg][Image: JpKPmxS.jpg][Image: t6nTZw0.jpg][Image: 81DgHOm.jpg][Image: yaBIXQX.jpg]

Thanks for reading,

SirWulf
I wish you, your family and him luck throughout the procedures.
He looks adorable. I wish the best of luck and strength to you and your family Wulf. Take your time, no one will blame you for not being here.
Family comes first. Thank you for keeping us updated, will be crossing my fingers for you. Your not alone, and shadow passes, light remains.
Best of luck to you, your son, and the rest of your family during these hard times. Sincerely hope the procedure goes as well as it possibly can.
Hope all goes well man for you and your family, especially your little man. Take as much time as you need man.
Keep your head up high man, hoping nothing but the best outcome for you over here.
Nothing but good vibes from down here. We're all here for you if you need to let off steam.
Best of Luck, Wulf. Always open to talk... If you like weird British text. We're all here with you.
(Jan 29, 2017, 05:31 AM)Lieutenant Sours Wrote: [ -> ]Best of Luck, Wulf. Always open to talk... If you like weird British text. We're all here with you.
Don't worry Wulf, He is a fighter and will pull through, Good luck to your family and your son
Sending all of our warm feelings from the cold north. I wish nothing but the best for you, your son and the rest of your family.
I haven't known you, but i wish you the best of luck for the surgery.
I really do hope this goes well for you, he looks like a great little dude. The whole community looks to be here supporting you.
I wish you the absolute best SirWulf. I'm sure I speak for the entire team and community here that if you need absolutely anything let us know!
Hope all goes well, Wulf. It is truly sad to hear, but I am sure your kid will pull through - he has come this far and I am certain he'll go even further.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8