Limelight Forums

Full Version: [No-priority] Skill System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Suggestion:

Create a level based skill system

Reasons:

Reward players who do a specific skill
          Reward the people playing hours on the server doing laboring tasks
          Make the game-mode interesting when playing with or without friends

Details:

List of current skill categories:

1. Fishing
          2. Woodcutting
          3. Crafting
          4. <Additional>

How the system would work:

The system can easily be configured so that there is an assigned 'Experience' amount you get from retrieving items from these tasks.

ie: 

[Woodcutting] Pine-timber would give you 25 experience points
[Woodcutting] Strong wood would give you 75 experience points
[Fishing] Fish would give you 25 experience points
[Fishing] Goldfish would give you 100 experience points
[Crafting] Manufacturing Ceramic Plates would give you 100 experience points

Of course this all would need to be structured to be logical and make sense based on the difficulty of the task and the investment put into it. We need to make a system like this because it gives a reason for people to grind and grind for hours. You add unlockable items at certain levels that simply increase the efficiency of said task.

For example, a number of different axes that increase efficiency and reduce stamina usage as you continue to upgrade. Higher tier axes could also have random chances of giving you different types of wood, or simply make it so you can cut different types of trees around the map. This may sound a bit like Runescape and MMORPG style game modes but it is a really great thing to have because it will give people incentive to do those things and also add more diversity to the player market. There would be certain skill levels you have to have in order to Craft things for example and if you can't do it then you would have to pay someone to do it for you. This gives opportunities for people to make businesses out of these skills!

You can find new RP's, such as but not limited to:

Local Blacksmiths
          Logging Camps
          Fisheries

In addition to a new basis for Clan Recruitment. Fishing Clans may, for example, require that you have a certain fishing level reached in order to join because they would want people who can be efficient and be able to offer more to the company.

You want to make it so that people with hundreds/thousands of hours still have things to level up, things to unlock. And this being achieved by their hard work and not in the sense of RP'ing and trying to get REP points for things such as clothing and/or vehicles. This rewards players with tools that can be used to make more profit and even get new items as mentioned above (Different types of wood, Different fish, Unlocked Tools, Reducing crafting material requirements)

TL;DR
Add a minimal skill system to offer unlockable items and tools. 
For example, a higher woodcutting level would allow you to cut different trees around the map, different types of wood from trees and/or allow you to get the wood faster.
Gives incentive to doing a certain skill
Expanding PassiveRP and making it fun/profitable both with friends and without
+Support
+ Support
Give people an incentive to stand there chopping trees for hours? Uhhh, not a big fan to be honest, there is enough of that just for the money. Also you say there will be logging camp RP and fisheries RP but I don't really see how this suggestion will make that happen. I think nothing will change, people will do the same thing they've been doing but now with even more incentive to just stand hitting trees than before. If this was tied in to another update that overhauled the woodcutting/fishing/manufacturing systems (such as in a system of one of your other suggestions), maybe. But as it stands it would be, in my opinion, a waste of development time. -support
(May 4, 2016, 10:00 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]Give people an incentive to stand there chopping trees for hours? Uhhh, not a big fan to be honest, there is enough of that just for the money. Also you say there will be logging camp RP and fisheries RP but I don't really see how this suggestion will make that happen. I think nothing will change, people will do the same thing they've been doing but now with even more incentive to just stand hitting trees than before. If this was tied in to another update that overhauled the woodcutting/fishing/manufacturing systems (such as in a system of one of your other suggestions), maybe. But as it stands it would be, in my opinion, a waste of development time. -support
-support
It gives people the incentive to only partake in one type of RP in order to boost themselves over others, rather than getting people to partake in a variety of RP's
How does this force them to partake in one type of RP?

It is not your choice what people decide to do. If someone wishes to go and cut trees for hours on end, so be it.

- Please elaborate on how this would take away from other types of RP's? What types of RP's, exactly?

- Of course there would be Fisheries and Logging Camps with an update like this. People would see these PassiveRP tasks as actually being profitable. Do you see any Clans being formed that relate to Woodcutting and/or Fishing? No. Do you know why? Because there isn't any reason to do so. They are boring tasks where all you do is stand and grind, however this update would offer diversity to that and make it much more enjoyable and be skill based so that the people who DO these things for hours on end can actually be incentivized since they'll be progressing towards something
(May 4, 2016, 10:47 PM)Nevy Wrote: [ -> ]How does this force them to partake in one type of RP?

It is not your choice what people decide to do. If someone wishes to go and cut trees for hours on end, so be it.

- Please elaborate on how this would take away from other types of RP's? What types of RP's, exactly?

- Of course there would be Fisheries and Logging Camps with an update like this. People would see these PassiveRP tasks as actually being profitable. Do you see any Clans being formed that relate to Woodcutting and/or Fishing? No. Do you know why? Because there isn't any reason to do so. They are boring tasks where all you do is stand and grind, however this update would offer diversity to that and make it much more enjoyable
People don't form clans relating to woodcutting and/or fishing because woodcutting and fishing are boring. I don't see how your proposed update makes it any less grindy and boring. It's the same grind except now you can maybe watch your experience bar get bigger. And no, getting a new axe or a new tree type every once in a while doesn't really make it less boring. Fishing allows pretty much no roleplay because if you want to use /me's regularly you are doomed to miss a lot of catches. Woodcutting is a bit different but it also results in a net decrease of potential money gained if you try to roleplay it out more. The proposed update doesn't change those things, and making these activities more profitable won't be enough to cause something like woodcutting clans to appear. People who are motivated by RP will do logging camps/fisheries already if they want. People who are motivated by profit will keep grinding without making the camps and fisheries.

Also technically woodcutting is already the most profitable thing in the game besides cooking meth with a good recipe.
+support.

also add a leaderboard of skills, gives something to do in the time where RP is down.

Needs more skills though, but i've always wanted a system like this.

(May 4, 2016, 09:28 PM)Nevy Wrote: [ -> ]We need to make a system like this because it gives a reason for people to grind and grind for hours. 

People will most likely grind that skill, rather than going and interacting with others except when they have to i.e. to replace a tool.

Can't remember if you were around on the woodcutting release, but that alone managed to pull everyone into the single area and grind the trees until the stamina nerf was implemented. Making it beneficial to grind a task, could result in this again.
Can't wait for the release of LimeScape!

+Support
I would love to cut yews and fish shark

+Support make limescape happen
(May 4, 2016, 11:39 PM)Maniac Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to cut yews and fish shark

+Support make limescape happen

Welcome to Limelight2007scape
+Support
+Support
Pages: 1 2