Limelight Forums

Full Version: Your opinion on homophobia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I remember back on FL when I copied a PM that someone sent me intentionally to harm me into OOC and I got blacklisted. 

[Image: 086902736568508B89FABC4CAE71BCDF0F89B369]

But your opinions on homophobia? Like, what punishments do you think should be held out?
If it can be linked to OOC in any way then its not allowed. We are incredibly strict on this and we will be.

We dont want IC actions to turn OOC since beeing called that kind of thing can be damaging to people over time when its obviously directed at the person behind the screen and not the IC character.

EDIT: Me personally wouldnt punish for that particular incident, but that doesnt mean im not going to be strict about homophobia in general down the line.
I just think its funny how you are the one who got blacklisted not whoever called you a "f***" but meh, anyways. 

Its just another word, if anyone calls you that it just shows what kind of personality they are and not what you are. Same goes with every other insult or disrespectful words and such.
Yup, it was bullshit and put up a fight against it
That was quite funny ahah
Dependent on the context I don't really see the word 'faggot' as homophobic. It's sorta like how curse words such as 'bitch', 'asshole', 'bastard' etc. are used as general insults but not as their actual definitions.

But hey, if staff members want to go SJW mode that's up to them.
To answer the topic:

I am a Social Democratic (believe it or not) and I value equality. I see all people equal in my eyes because we are all humans after all. I don't know why people are phobic against homosexuals, they're just people like us that like their own gender. What is wrong with that? Doesn't free love belong to freedom?

Calling people for an insult as a homosexual is stuck in some cultures and cultures don't change easily. But if the person is actually a homosexual and he thinks that you insulted him seriously?

And to comment on the picture I'd say that would more likely be "Cursing in OOC" than Homophobic since you weren't really. But here is the problem how we know who is homophobic and who isnt.
There is a very fine line between what is homophobic and what is not, however leniency is required and a bit o' common sense.
There are some admins in the world of Gmod who feel it is their duty to punish.
They follow a very narrow path with no room to turn around; almost like an auto-ban system: if=faggot;true then ban'apply. (Here we witness the reason why Saf is not a Dev)
I'm not targeting the admin who did this to you at all, but rather explain that this is the mindset of some.

For me, this is not homophobic at all. The world is becoming far too Politically Correct to the point where it is detrimental. Simply stating 'you're black' can be taken to be racist, or pointing out the incompetency of a person is assumed to be derived from their gender.

Yes, we need some moral limitations so that everyone can feel included and accepted, however you cannot define an entire form of prejudice by deducing it to a couple of words alone.

[On the topic, I'm going to move this to Serious Discussions, as the OP could certainly act as a catalyst for a proper discussion & debate]
Personally I don't give a shit about the word 'Faggot', to me it's just another swear word like 'cunt' and 'asshole' etc.

But hey rules are rules and we have to be 100% politically correct to not offend anyone in 2016 on the internet.

Edit:

To add, I don't care about any swearing online or at all. It's up to the individual to choose to get offended by it or not. If you can't deal with an "offensive" word in a line of text said by someone with an online name, behind a screen, then you should take a good look at yourself. The world isn't sunshine and rainbows, especially not the internet. If you consider the internet a safe haven from meanies and bullies, and get offended by the slightest cursing, oh boy how I feel bad for you.

Sorry for formatting, phone is a bitch
I'm against homophobia and I don't understand why anyone would be homophobic but as far as "faggot" go, if you ever seen the episode on southpark where they sorta "define" the word as not homophobic and more of a curse word. That's whete I stand.

That being said, I'm also glad that the word is considered homophobic in OOC chats as we live in 2016 and someone might actually get offended by it
I have a philosophy in life. As long as it is legal, do whatever you want. Just don't get me involved. What you believe, like, do or feel is your own. This is good.

I might not agree but that is only because I have a whole different mindset just like everyone else.

Does it hurt me that someone is gay, religious, political? No. Not one bit. As such, it is not my concern that they are.

It is wrong for people to harass someone for being different from themselves. It is pointless.

Now I do agree that certain words have devolved into just curse words. They no longer have a meaning other than an insult. Faggot I think is one of them. If it slips out once or twice fine, as long as it doesn't get excessive.

Just my two cents.
In my opinion, I don't care if you're black,white,green,blue,purple, like sticks, like holes, like both, who cares? We're all human. The amount of political correctness that this world is getting used to is sickening.

As for the OOC blacklist. My Administrative mindset is obviously different than that Administrator, I would have not issued a blacklist, but talked to the guy who said it first.
Another think I'd like to say is that there is absolutely no difference between talking IC and OOC. I could tell someone to die IC, but when I type it as .// It's suddenly an offense. Even though the same point has been made, it's not bannable when it's said "In character". We all know most insults IC are meant OOCly, and it's just a way to circumvent the rules.

I don't exactly know how to bring my point across since I don't see banning all insults as a solution, but I think everyone knows what I'm trying to say.
(Apr 18, 2016, 05:48 PM)Maniac Wrote: [ -> ]Another think I'd like to say is that there is absolutely no difference between talking IC and OOC. I could tell someone to die IC, but when I type it as .// It's suddenly an offense. Even though the same point has been made, it's not bannable when it's said "In character". We all know most insults IC are meant OOCly, and it's just a way to circumvent the rules.

I don't exactly know how to bring my point across since I don't see banning all insults as a solution, but I think everyone knows what I'm trying to say.

Maniac I'm sure that we don't need to sit with you and explain the very basic elements of role-play. There's a very big and clear difference between insulting someone from an In-Character (IC) perspective as opposed to an Out-Of-Character (OOC) one. People have always been able to insult another character but when they decide to use our OOC chats to insult others is when it becomes a rule violation and a direct insult to the other player.

There's a clear difference between insulting someone In-Character and Out-Of-Character and the two must stay separate.
Pages: 1 2