Limelight Forums

Full Version: The Impossible Roleplay Question (Metagaming Discussion)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now I've been thinking about this for a while now and it is a bit annoying to see it happen allot and so far I don't think there is any salution to it at all. So what I hope to achivie with this discussion is to hopefully find a salutation to this question and problem.

To make the question easily understood this is a scenario that happens allot. 

You walk on the street as a normal citizen and see someone with the job name as "Citizen" and he asks you to follow him somewhere, you follow him and you don't expect him to do anything to you because if he does he will be breaking the server rules, so you follow him and he does nothing.

But if you walk on the street and see a player with the job name as Criminal who looks just like the citizen before and doesn't look like a threat at all, you woudln't follow him. Not because you metagamed his job name its because psychologically your mind knows that he'll probably mug you or kill you so you wouldn't follow him. Now you didn't really metagame but your mind did. 

So goes if you see a Corrupt Police officer and a normal police officer you know who stay away from just from acknowleging his job name. As well asi if you a criminal was in a car and a citizen was with you the police officer would search you first. 

This kind of thing really bothers me as sometimes if you try to role-play as a criminal or any type of criminal RP or anything like that people would avoid you just because of your job name. 

So I'd like to hear from the communtiy.
That is a good question. Overall I've learned to not trust anyone, especially if they want you, a stranger, to follow them somewhere. So in essence I treat everyone like a criminal unless they gain my trust.
There is no way to solve this besides completely removing job titles, which is too extreme of a solution. I think it could be argued that this kind of subconscious metagaming helps imitate the usual vibe you can get from shady looking people. It is also a nice balance to the fact that everyone potentially has an assault rifle in their pocket in this gamemode.

As a side note I wouldn't go to an alleyway with anyone I don't know, both IC and IRL.
I don't follow complete strangers in the first place. The thing with serious roleplays is that they don't have a /job to set one's own job, so one is completely clueless on someone's intentions until they are made abundantly clear. Currently it's more or less trusting that someone won't meta game your job when you're a 'thug' or a 'criminal'.
The whole Criminal job and mugging thing was just an example I meant for the whole thing in generanl not just about who you follow where.
I'm aware that you were making an example, my post is still on point.
I would rather the server have it so you can't see their job? Or something just to stop the amount of meta gaming.
remove job titles as they allowed metagaming.

On that note, remove cars guns props toolgun/physgun and people as they can all cause rule breakages

edit: *sarcasm intended*
(Feb 15, 2016, 11:53 PM)Tails Wrote: [ -> ]remove job titles as they allowed metagaming.

On that note, remove cars guns props toolgun/physgun and people as they can all cause rule breakages

He did not suggest that, but it would be nice to find a solution you know.
This is a form of metagaming that I believe places a huge disruption on the flow of role-play and, as mentioned, leads to individuals using OOC information. 

I believe the only logical solution to this would be to remove the visibility players have of job titles in the scoreboard and instead make it something that only staff members are able to see. Why? Because this information in no way is needed in an IC situation. You don't look at someone and assume they are a criminal, unless they fit that 'description' and it should be up to them to set their /description in a way that fits their character. If they wish to be seen as a criminal and incite suspicion then they can describe their character as someone who dresses in sketchy clothes. 

The issue with having job titles visible is because, as mentioned by Rocket, people will use this OOC information whether they intend to or not. Someone playing as a police officer can simply hold TAB and see people roleplaying as Criminals and have an idea of how many criminals are on the server and that information will be in the back of his head and will influence him to either go out and patrol or simply make him more cautious. 

If you think job titles should remain, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that. What purpose do they serve? To advertise a custom role-play? That is surely not the purpose of the job title and is instead the duty of the person to do so via /advert, word of mouth and simply making a sign for their business. 

Typically the only case where someone would like to keep job titles is when they are using it to advertise their clan name and rank, for example the job title [Fumuku Security Officer - Class A] or someone in a mafia family who likes people to see [The Lucchese Family]. This is great and all and looks nice in the scoreboard but really it does nothing IC and only opens up the possibility of metagaming. 

TL;DR - Make job titles only visible by staff and possibly make a better system that allows you to better describe your character when looking at them
^Fact of the matter is that you'll recognize a police officer just about anywhere but won't know whether he's a straight arrow or corrupt; your example with FUMUKU security as well, with uniforms and IDs.  Really the only hint of intentions for the citizen class - or anyone for that matter - is through the way they behave. The way someone dresses doesn't always suggest criminal behavior more so than suggesting they have no fashion sense.
Well here is where the character options become a bit of an issue. There are mannerisms, clothing and behavior that would be typical in the role that someone plays.

There are some people in real life that you look at and want to cross the street. Fair or not, there is a vibe that makes that person uncomfortable to be around. In the game, you just don't have that. A citizen is like any other citizen, and without the tag you couldn't tell one from another.

If a character is marked 'Criminal' for example, you can assume that they are a bit shifty, maybe a bit nervous and fidgety. As such, you get this sense that something isn't quite right with him/her. Now you don't want to go too far and call the police as soon as you see the title, but you could remain a bit on guard because of this vibe that you get.

So I don't think removing the titles would be a good idea. It also makes making a PR more difficult, as you can't prove that the man that just robbed you is a 'Criminal' or not. I'd be making tons of reports to verify if they were actually roleplaying properly.
From how I always have viewed it your job title is OOC information only. Its more for admin situations than anything to sort out things for instance if a citizen was mugging.

Things that you could determine in the real life like the description of the player just based soley off of looks is the only things that belong as IC information.

People misuse the information that is given to them a huge majority of the time, I honestly think we should only have a players name and description only available when you look at a person. Players name only for the fact that there is not enough unique faces in game to tell people apart.

If everyone just took into perspective how they would act in real life, our server would be a lot cleaner and our RPs a LOT better.
How about this as a suggestion.

All players job's (Other than Government) are not able to be seen unless the player says the name of the job in the chat within talking distance. So this means that if I was walking around the street and I heard someone say the name of their job in the chat it would now display for me his job name until I die. After I die I will lose the ability to know what his job is.

With that suggestion, I do feel as if it would be harder for the admins unless they have a access to see all job names without that feature which would give a sort of unfair advantage for admins but they are trusted so it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

The other downfall in that suggestion is that I do feel that this will encourge players to bring more rules and using "YOU DON'T KNOW MY JOB NAME" as an excuse to mug or kill someone and then change their jobs to fit their role-play.

It is an idea nonetheless. I do feel that my suggestion would work better for in-character names more than it would for jobs.
They could be lying about their job.
Pages: 1 2