Limelight Forums

Full Version: Gunshot Residue Test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Suggestion for <in-game/forum/teamspeak etc.>
In-game
In detail, explain your suggestion:
Give police/swat officers a tool or a command that allows them to see whether a person has fired a gun in the last <suitable IC time, for example 1 in-game day, or a few hours>.
Why should this be implemented?
The holster function is currently extremely OP in a way that you can shoot someone, then run behind a corner use /holster in 5 seconds and then poof "I have no gun so I couldn't shoot anyone no evidence". Sometimes you search an apartment as a cop because of reports of gunfire, to have the owner holster their gun seconds before opening the door to "comply with the police like a good citizen". 
Adding this will add to police roleplay and nerf the completely unrealistic vanishing weaponry.

Edit 29/05/16 - Additional Information:
Activated via command such as /guntest, /residuetest while looking at the player. 
The receiving player must remain stationary for at least 10 (or longer) seconds after the command is used for it to work.
After the test is concluded, a /it will display such as "Gunshot residue test result: Negative/Positive". If the receiving player has shot from a firearm in the last 10 OOC minutes or so, the test comes back positive, regardless of whether they have any weapons equipped. If not, it comes back negative.
The test kit should be available via the inventory/resupply cabinet in the same slot as smoke grenades aid kits and spike strips, so we can have a more diverse set of loadouts depending on what the officers want their role in the force to be. If the officer didn't equip a test kit from the cabinet then the activation command gives an error of "You do not have the required equipment for this".
The test kit may be locked behind 1-2 government REPs so police officers don't abuse it by randomly testing people.
Range - right next to them, like handcuff/search range.
-support.

Would just act as incentive for the detainee to shoot the police officer to escape the situation.

I'd rather there be a system which leaves bullet shells, or something similar.
(Feb 3, 2016, 02:05 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]-support.

Would just act as incentive for the detainee to shoot the police officer to escape the situation.

That is completely irrelevant, this test is only useful in situations where the gun is already holstered. The criminal would be under FearRP and/or in handcuffs in most of these scenarios. They won't be doing much shooting from there.
In the case where they holster a weapon and see an officer approaching, I doubt they will want to pull out their weapon again or have the time to do so (or be unable to do so because once again FearRP if the officer approaches with gun pointed). When they holster the gun while indoors it's because they are already scared of the SWAT team standing outside the door.
Besides, bullet shells alone won't help identify who shot the gun.
OMG

YES

+support
(Feb 3, 2016, 02:39 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 3, 2016, 02:05 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]-support.

That is completely irrelevant, this test is only useful in situations where the gun is already holstered. The criminal would be under FearRP and/or in handcuffs in most of these scenarios. They won't be doing much shooting from there.
In the case where they holster a weapon and see an officer approaching, I doubt they will want to pull out their weapon again or have the time to do so (or be unable to do so because once again FearRP if the officer approaches with gun pointed). When they holster the gun while indoors it's because they are already scared of the SWAT team standing outside the door.
Besides, bullet shells alone won't help identify who shot the gun.

I see what you meant. I assumed you meant that anyone whom had shot at all, in which the obvious reaction would be to either fight or flight, rather than be guaranteed a prison sentence.

Not sure if this system is the best, but something like it could be decent. 

Will change to +/- support, I see where you're going with it.
+support I especially agree on the ridiculousness on being able to shoot someone and then holstering your weapon so the police can't suspect you of the crime
-Support
In real life you can just throw your gun away in 5 seconds
(Feb 4, 2016, 04:01 PM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]-Support

And it just disappears in to the void, never to be found again... Oh wait, it doesn't. In real life the police are able to look for the weapon after it's been thrown away. And in real life, the police perform a residue test just like this to see if you have shot a gun recently.
You can frisk/search criminals via R-key
(Feb 4, 2016, 04:52 PM)Burnett Wrote: [ -> ]You can frisk/search criminals via R-key

You missunderstood

when you catched them or they are a suspect.
Then you search them.
But what have you found?
nothing.
Because the Sh*thead holstered his gun and is like "whooo random search"
even though you saw him shooting and its the only guy in the area.
(Feb 4, 2016, 04:52 PM)Burnett Wrote: [ -> ]You can frisk/search criminals via R-key

Yea what Space Glitch said. You must have misunderstood, I know that you can search them but a lot of the time they have done /holster and don't have the weapon anymore, after which they proceed to shout "no evidence fail arrest" even if they are the only person who could have done it. This test is meant to show that the person in question has fired a gun recently, even if they don't have it equipped anymore.
-support
(Feb 4, 2016, 04:01 PM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]-Support

You don't need the murder weapon to perform a residue test. A residue test is when they just search you clothing for gunpowder residue that you would get from firing a gun.
+Support
Perhaps there's an alternative to this. Players should be able to be searched for any ammo equipped as well as any weapons equipped; this would make a lot more sense.

Furthermore, it would discourage aggressiveRP, which is a growing concern in terms of the overproportion, as people would no longer be able to freely equip ammo without being caught [people often equip ammo in preparation so they can take out their gun and mug somebody/apply FearRP without ammo being heard equipped at the time, without consequence as it cannot be detected].
Pages: 1 2 3