Limelight Forums

Full Version: No more loading screen music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Suggestion for <in-game/forum/teamspeak etc.>
Game loading screen

In detail, explain your suggestion:
I want the music that's being played during the loading screen to be gone. I know how to mute the music. Not everyone has it muted before they join the server for the first time (READ BELOW OR DON'T COMMENT)

Why should this be implemented?
Having loading screen music does turn some people away from the server.
I believe having (loud, yes it is loud according to me and a couple of my friends, maybe our volume settings are fucked up. If so, let me know) music in loading screen isn't a good idea since it's basically forcing people to listen to music they may not like. Not everyone has the same music preferences. For example I'm not in to rap music or most electronic music genres.

In addition the music I've heard so far doesn't fit the theme, athmosphere or anything on the server if you ask me. The pretty quiet (low volume) jazz on FL was okay since I could just put my own music over it easily(when I wanted to) and could hear my friends on voice chat and it seemed to fit the slow paced tempo and athmosphere FL used to have, especially when passive rping. At least in most games the music has been made to fit the game or give it a soul. Think of music on an action movie's car chase scene in the middle of a metropolis.

I assume we all agree that gmod's optimizations aren't that good and loading screen seems to be usually the worst time to alt tab out of the game (to mute the music). Also some people have slower pcs so it's even a worse idea to alt tab out to mute awesomium core and it takes quite long to download the content even when using a connection with a good bandwidth. In other words some people have to risk the game crashing or risk prolonging the already long loading screen by making the game freeze for example. It seems to be the same case for more powerful pcs, as far as I know though with less crashes, just short freezes, except on fullscreen when alt tabbing is a no no.

Someone told me that you can't please everyone. I agree on that which is why loading screen shouldn't have any music other than your own music. I'm quite sure the majority's pcs can handle a music player in the background and nowadays most keyboards have those media hotkeys so you can even change songs easily, so why not just play your own music instead, watch youtube or whatever it is you do.
Or they just fix and continue using the old /music system that Another Community used so you can turn it off for you.

edit: here you go https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1399495
(Oct 28, 2015, 03:32 AM)LivKX link Wrote: [ -> ]Or they just fix and continue using the old /music system that Another Community used so you can turn it off for you.

edit: here you go https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1399495

It's not about turning it off, it's about being turned off by default or not even existing.
Some people like it some people don't hence why an option to turn it off is the best solution, with the /music command which could easily be added.

If you hate all loading music, use that link I just added to disable all.
(Oct 28, 2015, 03:52 AM)LivKX link Wrote: [ -> ]Some people like it some people don't hence why an option to turn it off is the best solution, with the /music command which could easily be added.

Then we come to the point that I believe the loading screen music will turn some people away from the server, especially since it doesn't seem to fit the athmosphere of the server. That loud dubstep was fkin annoying the first time I joined, instant alt tab and mute awesomium core. Couldn't even hear my friend on skype.
(Oct 28, 2015, 03:55 AM)Joulle link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=LivKX link=topic=2493.msg24234#msg24234 date=1445997167]
Some people like it some people don't hence why an option to turn it off is the best solution, with the /music command which could easily be added.

Then we come to the point that I believe the loading screen music will turn some people away from the server, especially since it doesn't seem to fit the athmosphere of the server. That loud dubstep was fkin annoying the first time I joined, instant alt tab and mute awesomium core.
[/quote]

v33x has changed to piano/jazz stuff I think?
(Oct 28, 2015, 04:03 AM)LivKX link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Joulle link=topic=2493.msg24237#msg24237 date=1445997323]
[quote author=LivKX link=topic=2493.msg24234#msg24234 date=1445997167]

Then we come to the point that I believe the loading screen music will turn some people away from the server, especially since it doesn't seem to fit the athmosphere of the server. That loud dubstep was fkin annoying the first time I joined, instant alt tab and mute awesomium core.
[/quote]

v33x has changed to piano/jazz stuff I think?
[/quote]

Whatever it is, it's still loud as fuck, lower the volume so low so I can hear my own music over it please.

No, I'd still rather listen to my own music, even though it's not that bad imo, but someone else might hate it. The whole point of this thread is to help others. I've muted awesomium core permanently anyways so it doesn't matter to me really, it's about doing what I think is beneficial for the community.
You know, I was about to comment with my usual sarcastic remark and say something along the lines of "lol /music exists" but actually being a person who has music on loading screen turned off permanently, I actually kind of have to agree. For new players who have to spend a good 5+ minutes downloading all the content when they log in for the first time the loud music may be a bit of a turnoff. Decreasing volume in loading screen might be an okay idea, or a volume slider. So, +support for that, I guess. No need to completely remove music though.
I'm not going to get into a long winded discussion about this as I don't really have the time I do probably won't reply to an "counter arguments".

The music is there to set the mood for the server. It's the first thing that the player hears and before the music was decided a number of people were asked of their opinions about it and many seemed to like it and said it was 'catchy'.  You are correct in what you are saying that everyone has their own tastes etc etc, however this was considered.

The theme of the music is Electro Swing Jazz and sets the mood for a modern style player base while keep the classic aspect of the gamemode. As our overall player base is fairlyyoung, I did a little bit of research while asking people of their tastes and I came to conclusion outcome and feel myself that this genre is pretty damn catchy! Over all sets a happy, fast pace atmospher and personally feel it is pretty original and gives our community a little bit of character, not just myself but others as well!

As for the "I want to listen to my own music" and "it's too loud", you have choice of turn your game down you game and turn your music up via the "volume mixer" on your sound drive. Once you are in game, you can do /music which allows YOU to have the option to turn it off at your own command

You might argue that some peoples computers are slow, and you can't tab out at certain points of the loading. You are responsible to set your volume to what you feel is comfortable before entering our server.

your suggestion is to remove the music because YOU think it will turn people a way, however this is only your opinion and YOU think is not the correct type of music for the pace of the server, this is the matter of your own opinion.  However, as a community, we feel like setting the mood before joining the server is important, and if you don't enjoy it, you have other ways from which you can control it.
(Oct 28, 2015, 02:48 PM)Obay link Wrote: [ -> ]The music is there to set the mood for the server. It's the first thing that the player hears and before the music was decided a number of people were asked of their opinions about it and many seemed to like it and said it was 'catchy'.  You are correct in what you are saying that everyone has their own tastes etc etc, however this was considered.

The theme of the music is Electro Swing Jazz and sets the mood for a modern style player base while keep the classic aspect of the gamemode. As our overall player base is fairlyyoung, I did a little bit of research while asking people of their tastes and I came to conclusion outcome and feel myself that this genre is pretty damn catchy! Over all sets a happy, fast pace atmospher and personally feel it is pretty original and gives our community a little bit of character, not just myself but others as well!

The first time I joined around 1,5 weeks ago the music was definitely not the same as it's now. It was first that guy talking about workshop things not set up properly yet following with dubstep or whatever it was. The music then didn't seem to fit the server at all imo. Now it's way better, but I'd still have it muted or at least have the volume turned down by default.

(Oct 28, 2015, 02:48 PM)Obay link Wrote: [ -> ]As for the "I want to listen to my own music" and "it's too loud", you have choice of turn your game down you game and turn your music up via the "volume mixer" on your sound drive. Once you are in game, you can do /music which allows YOU to have the option to turn it off at your own command

You might argue that some peoples computers are slow, and you can't tab out at certain points of the loading. You are responsible to set your volume to what you feel is comfortable before entering our server.

Except a process not playing any audio won't pop up on your volume mixer untill it begins to play audio so you have to go on to that loading screen and then mute it. Can't do it before and even if you could I don't think a new player would even think about it.

(Oct 28, 2015, 02:48 PM)Obay link Wrote: [ -> ]As for the "I want to listen to my own music" and "it's too loud", you have choice of turn your game down you game and turn your music up via the "volume mixer" on your sound drive. Once you are in game, you can do /music which allows YOU to have the option to turn it off at your own command

I ran the test through 2 of my friends already and both of them thought the music was way too loud. Loud as in I would never listen to my own music that loud since it almost hurts my ears. Maybe our sound settings were way too loud, if so, let me know.
I'd appreciate if you could at least lower the volume on the server side so people won't have to turn down the volume themselves since to be honest, it felt like an ear rape to me, and it still does.
Approved.
Music will stay, as community tests have been ran and has a useful purpose and current music fits the the gamemode well.

The old music is irrelevant as it was just a place holder until the current music was decided on

Server side volume was will be optimised and lowered to a safe level.
Finished, loading screen pulls music from EvoRadio.