Limelight Forums

Full Version: A weekly log.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Suggestion for a weekly-updated log for the server staff and developers.

In detail, explain your suggestion: A log which details activities of the staff and development team. If the new donation initiative is brought in, the idea of dynamic sliders, then it'd be good to actually know what the activity of the staff and development team is.

I propose a weekly changelog for developers, which can detail exactly what they've done personally over the last week, and any bug fixes etc. (Similar to update tab, but also allows the unseen work of the development team to be aired, and as such the community would be able to reward them.)

There would also be a weekly activity log from the staff team, which would detail anything the staff team has done which is beyond the norm, so once again it can be recognized.

Why should this be implemented?With fearless, admins would constantly say in OOC, (Well maybe not constantly,) about the work the developers do behind the scenes whenever people complain about lack of content. This would allow them to be directly accountable to what they've done for the server. This also works hand in hand with the donation proposal, as if a activity in a particular week is above the 'norm', people can choose to donate extra obviously, which may act as an incentive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A side suggestion to this could be a dynamic activity log, which shows how active admins are on the server, in terms of how many hours they've been on the server weekly. I don't wish to expand too much on this, as I understand it could be seen as an invasion of privacy, and that they may feel as if they are obliged to come on the servers etc.
Hmm.

I see where you're going and agree that we should look at increasing transparency, I'm just not sure what could be included within the log.

Hours on the server, yes. Bans/Blacklists done, maybe. But the risk which could run is that it turns into a reward system for the admins: ban lots of people and then players think you're doing a good job = profit

In regards to developers, they might be working on updates/content which isn't meant for the public to know about yet, so that's another factor.

I'm staying neutral for now.
This is semi-based on what I have seen on a minecraft server a few years ago.

Not wanting to advertise, but click https://www.massivecraft.com/category/weekly-changelog to see what I mean.

And yes, I agree with what you said in regard to the server activity, which was why i added it as a small 'side' suggestion, as i'm personally debating that myself.
[move]
[Image: 14w7fat.png]
[/move]
Neutral
If you are going to allow us to donate money to administrators, then I think you should indeed be transparent about what has been done by them.

It is infact one of the keystones where LimeLight was built upon, transparancy.

+Support
I've put forward the idea of a public trello which will list public development activity. We could also add a blog perhaps in which administrators can make entries regarding certain events/giveaways etc.
This works for many things, but not for everything. While we can start writing bug fixes and back-end code in the changelog, most players won't appreciate how long certain things take to code and how important they are, and will only focus on gameplay updates; as such they might protest when their favourite gameplay developer isn't paid more than a back-end developer. That said, it'd be good to list more development in the changelog.

However, a huge amount of work is put in onto the dedi by security, and for that we can only really list hours, if that (back on FL we put in a huge amount of hours of custom modifications, alterations, etc.) and commonly checked the firewall and logs 4-5 times a day, as well as updated the firewall rules on the fly. But we can't reveal what systems we use, what rules we use, and so on, so it'd just be marked "Security did work."

Admin projects can be revealed a little easier, for example, if Dig spends 4-5 hours planning out an economy suggestion that the dev team can implement, that can be made transparent once it's ready for release (we don't want to spoil hype and trailer updates) and put into the log.

Thats why exist a topic called updates , anyway not all things should be showed or announcement , some can may be a suprise
(Aug 4, 2015, 02:16 PM)Doodleh link Wrote: [ -> ]If you are going to allow us to donate money to administrators, then I think you should indeed be transparent about what has been done by them.

+Support

+Support What he Said
(Aug 4, 2015, 06:56 PM)Faustie link Wrote: [ -> ]as such they might protest when their favourite gameplay developer isn't paid more than a back-end developer.

The donations go to the team, not to an individual. When donating you should understand that.

It is a team effort, not something done by an individual.
(Aug 4, 2015, 02:16 PM)Doodleh link Wrote: [ -> ]If you are going to allow us to donate money to administrators, then I think you should indeed be transparent about what has been done by them.

+Support

^ This.

+Support
Thanks to Wood our developer he has made a development twitter that informs players about the upcoming updates!
you can find the development twitter here. https://twitter.com/LimeLight_Dev

Finished.