Limelight Forums

Full Version: s&box plans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed that the s&box twitter account started posting not too long ago and I went to check on the status of the project and came up with this on their website:

"The current status is 'heavy development'. The aim is to give some people access in the first half of 2021, and give everyone else access in the second half of 2021."

They said in the past and still do that it won't be garry's mod 2 but more like an eclipse of what's possible in garry's mod instead of being a modern version of it. Well that's what garry hopes it to be.

What's limelight's take on the subject? Have you considered trying out an rp server on s&box in the future?

https://sbox.facepunch.com/about/
https://sbox.facepunch.com/news
https://twitter.com/sboxgame?lang=fi
It's exciting to see that it's now being developed on Source 2 instead of unreal engine. I didn't think valve would give face punch access to it
(Apr 8, 2021, 04:40 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]It's exciting to see that it's now being developed on Source 2 instead of unreal engine. I didn't think valve would give face punch access to it

Yeah. I despiced the whole unreal engine approach from the beginning but that was pretty much the only choice they had as you know, source 2 wasn't present then.
As S&Box is starting to give out keys to developers this month, is it likely that Limelight will get their hands on one and start developing a CityRP game mode for S&Box?
(Apr 19, 2021, 04:59 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]As S&Box is starting to give out keys to developers this month, is it likely that Limelight will get their hands on one and start developing a CityRP game mode for S&Box?

lol
(Apr 26, 2021, 07:31 PM)livkx Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 19, 2021, 04:59 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]As S&Box is starting to give out keys to developers this month, is it likely that Limelight will get their hands on one and start developing a CityRP game mode for S&Box?

lol

I'll take that as a no then lol
(Apr 26, 2021, 10:02 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 26, 2021, 07:31 PM)livkx Wrote: [ -> ]

lol

There isn't much info to off of right now anyways. If you look at the updates it has a long way to being a complete game.
(Apr 27, 2021, 02:51 AM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 26, 2021, 10:02 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 26, 2021, 07:31 PM)livkx Wrote: [ -> ]lol

There isn't much info to off of right now anyways. If you look at the updates it has a long way to being a complete game.

If you read the Dev blog which was released at the end of March it says that they are planning to give keys out to developers, which is why I was interested.
Some people already have keys apparently
They do, but there's no official way of getting them. You just get lucky.
(May 2, 2021, 05:45 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]They do, but there's no official way of getting them. You just get lucky.

If you post on the S&Box forums about your previous work etc I think there's a chance you can get one. They should be giving out more keys in the coming months though, the new set of Source 2 tools look really exciting to use.
(May 2, 2021, 07:54 PM)Quest Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 2, 2021, 05:45 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]They do, but there's no official way of getting them. You just get lucky.

If you post on the S&Box forums about your previous work etc I think there's a chance you can get one. They should be giving out more keys in the coming months though, the new set of Source 2 tools look really exciting to use.

They've given out access mostly to modders but if I remember right those same people were also given keys they can give out to others. 

But hey, no pressure Smile good work you've been doing here with the gamemode itself. Hope to see it sometime in the future in s&box too and more importantly can't wait to get banned for the new 'rape rp' for having picked someone's ear without their consent due to the VR support
It is still in very early development, it will be a while before it gets anywhere you can really use it in production. At this point it is even lacking dedicated servers plus Linux support so yea...
Considering S&Box is basically what Garry's mod couldn't be, I hope to see CityRP developed into something new and interesting. There is a chance to keep the style of CityRP but to a FiveM scale. Especially with level loading and much more.
So, having had some time to play Sandbox, look into the development process and tools, etc, I've got a more formed opinion.

It's currently, not feasible.
Games are always fully sent to the client.
CL -> SV networking is lacking.
External connectivity (SV -> DB) is lacking.
A lack of addons make simple additions of pre-existing content (see Prop Protection, Photon, Vehicles, etc), more difficult.
A lack of good dependency management means we end up relying on the old "just copy and paste it" method, which has in the past caused us issues (our version of CW was way out of date and missing both features and fixes).
[Image: Yp6RPUaseXQA.png]

It's a nice idea, but it's nowhere near complete enough to start considering a move.
Pages: 1 2