Limelight Forums

Full Version: s&box plans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I personally never saw CityRP being imported straight away to S&Box. Considering it won't be released until either Q4 2021 or after, I doubt the gamemode would even make it till 2022/2023.

Would be nice to see it around thought even in a basic form.
(Jun 8, 2021, 02:18 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]So, having had some time to play Sandbox, look into the development process and tools, etc, I've got a more formed opinion.

It's currently, not feasible.
Games are always fully sent to the client.
CL -> SV networking is lacking.
External connectivity (SV -> DB) is lacking.
A lack of addons make simple additions of pre-existing content (see Prop Protection, Photon, Vehicles, etc), more difficult.
A lack of good dependency management means we end up relying on the old "just copy and paste it" method, which has in the past caused us issues (our version of CW was way out of date and missing both features and fixes).
[Image: Yp6RPUaseXQA.png]

It's a nice idea, but it's nowhere near complete enough to start considering a move.

"External connectivity (SV -> DB)" is intended to be done with HTTP.

Also the whole addon/dependency management... it is with great hopes that it is temporary, and he comes up with some package management solution. This might have worked fine in 2006-2010, but not in 2021.
(Jun 12, 2021, 12:09 AM)Rayts5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 8, 2021, 02:18 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]So, having had some time to play Sandbox, look into the development process and tools, etc, I've got a more formed opinion.

A lack of addons make simple additions of pre-existing content (see Prop Protection, Photon, Vehicles, etc), more difficult.
A lack of good dependency management means we end up relying on the old "just copy and paste it" method, which has in the past caused us issues (our version of CW was way out of date and missing both features and fixes).

It's a nice idea, but it's nowhere near complete enough to start considering a move.

Also the whole addon/dependency management... it is with great hopes that it is temporary, and he comes up with some package management solution. This might have worked fine in 2006-2010, but not in 2021.

Hence why "it's lacking". We can have developers build out entire REST APIs in JS or TS or PHP or Ruby or whatever language they want, but is that a more efficient use of time than just hooking up a direct connection to a DB?
(Jun 12, 2021, 12:12 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 12, 2021, 12:09 AM)Rayts5 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hence why "it's lacking". We can have developers build out entire REST APIs in JS or TS or PHP or Ruby or whatever language they want, but is that a more efficient use of time than just hooking up a direct connection to a DB?

It really isn't to be honest, now imagine throwing that load onto everyone developing a gamemode. I honestly don't think that approach will be a big success for the majority.
(Jun 12, 2021, 03:04 PM)Rayts5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 12, 2021, 12:12 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 12, 2021, 12:09 AM)Rayts5 Wrote: [ -> ]"External connectivity (SV -> DB)" is intended to be done with HTTP.

It really isn't to be honest, now imagine throwing that load onto everyone developing a gamemode. I honestly don't think that approach will be a big success for the majority.

Exactly, turning every Game Developer into a Web Developer / DevOps Engineer (ew) / whatever else they'd need. I don't think it's a tenable position for most developers, unless they're working in larger teams, or have enough time (working on passion projects).
<p>[Image: DY2bQzO.png]<br></p><p>meet me on the other side guys</p>
Pages: 1 2