Limelight Forums

Full Version: Transparency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It doesn't take an idiot to see that the staff team has failed to provide the levels of transparency that were once promised.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see less secrecy. Why can't we get a view into what's in development? What ever happened to building up hype? Sure the details of X project might change, but the fundamental core is going to stay the same, no? If you're going to release a "mining" update, for example, we don't care about massively about how each system is going to work, we care about knowing that you guys are working on it. It's not a lot to ask, ultimately it just comes down to laziness.

Feel free to vote and/or discuss, the more recognition this issue gets the more likely something is to be done about it.
The whole split was ultimately due to a lack of transparency in the hierarchy, and we were promised a fair alternative to that. But I guess this is another example that proves: "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Expect a long measured rant tomorrow or some time when I can be arsed, but suffice to say here's my opinion: 

- Too much fucking bureaucracy, it's stifling.
- Staff are, however, happy to ignore that bureaucracy when they want to get their friends off the hook for breaking the rules or want to punish someone for something they don't like.
- Too much fucking secrecy. Sometimes, it feels like the staff team are the fucking KGB trying to talk to them.
- Transparency. There fucking is none. What the fuck goes on in the ivory towers of the staff forums/discord? Fuck knows
- Ivory Towers - the superadmins literally never fucking play and have no idea what's going on (still happy to weigh in when someone does something they don't like or the givens need to get off from breaking a rule again though!) 
- Community Feedback are just the friends of the admins, and half of them barely ever fucking play
- Too many fucking rules, I hear my university is starting a degree course just to understand the 100000 page long rules, rule clarifications and case law

ForceGhost

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Expect a long measured rant tomorrow or some time when I can be arsed, but suffice to say here's my opinion: 

- Ivory Towers - the superadmins literally never fucking play and have no idea what's going on (still happy to weigh in when someone does something they don't like or the givens need to get off from breaking a rule again though!)

Yeah, all those damn SAs getting us off from breaking the rules... can you just remind me of their names as i've forgotten them and I would like to re-add them on Steam for urh... reasons.

Overall great points, even agree with the majority of Judge's points which is a rare occurrence and am genuinely looking forward to this rant tomorrow.
Fuck me. Is a thread made every time someone hates a single statement given by a staff member? Like fuck me.

ForceGhost

(Jun 1, 2020, 02:47 AM)Dick Wrote: [ -> ]Fuck me. Is a thread made every time someone hates a single statement given by a staff member? Like fuck me.

Welcome to Limelight where the forums are more active than the server.
(Jun 1, 2020, 01:42 AM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see less secrecy. Why can't we get a view into what's in development? What ever happened to building up hype?
Because every time we did, we had unforeseen issues which prevented or delayed it.

You remember Operation Refresh?
You remember the US server?
You remember Florida?

The projects where we said we were working on them?
And what did we get each time?
One of two things.
why did the team hype people up for shit which didn't work?
and
oh man, the staff lied to us again.
Funny how we stopped bothering to do that when every time we got shit for it.
Real head-scratcher there.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:42 AM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]Sure the details of X project might change, but the fundamental core is going to stay the same, no? If you're going to release a "mining" update, for example, we don't care about massively about how each system is going to work, we care about knowing that you guys are working on it. It's not a lot to ask, ultimately it just comes down to laziness.
Okay, we were working on a mining update. It's in the roadmap, so that's a pretty pointless argument, but sure. Let's go with it. We're not really working on it anymore because the developer working on it doesn't have time to finish it.
Oh look, another case of the LL staff lying to the community.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Too much fucking bureaucracy, it's stifling.
Where, what?
The bureaucracy in administration because people kept complaining about the laxer way we ran it before?
Or in development, which isn't really bureaucratic?

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Staff are, however, happy to ignore that bureaucracy when they want to get their friends off the hook for breaking the rules or want to punish someone for something they don't like.
Not really, but ok.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Too much fucking secrecy. Sometimes, it feels like the staff team are the fucking KGB trying to talk to them.
Almost like anything we ever say gets taken out of context, and twisted so hard I'm surprised the forums don't split apart, with goalposts that move so much they're fucking motorised now.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Transparency. There fucking is none. What the fuck goes on in the ivory towers of the staff forums/discord? Fuck knows
I'll tell you.

In development, votes on specific implementational details of features, and votes on the development standards.
In mod, votes on rule changes, and the odd extension request.
In admin, votes on specific higher level proposals (which don't happen often), discussion on how to enforce specific rules in a fair way, and the odd promotion vote.

There's no secret discord channel for selling your data to china, or fucking idk. ddosing FL.
It's boring shit that you don't get told because it'll affect how you act.

You get told you have a promotion vote, and suddenly you start keeping your act squeaky clean.
We've seen it before with teachers. People who have questionable background suddenly start cleaning up their act when they post their application.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Ivory Towers - the superadmins literally never fucking play and have no idea what's going on (still happy to weigh in when someone does something they don't like or the givens need to get off from breaking a rule again though!) 
Ah yes, the old fallback. The Givens. Somehow hated by the entire server, but loved by the admin team. Ignoring the majority of the team who can't stand their bullshit.
I won't weigh in to this, since I'm just part of the establishment, part of Big Pharma Givens

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Community Feedback are just the friends of the admins, and half of them barely ever fucking play
1. It's an open group, anyone can apply. If you don't want it to be "just the friends of the admins", then apply for it? Hell, the guidelines for denial are on that page.
Quote:Reasons for - supports are:

Aggressive and/or insulting people regularly,
Showing of Community and Rule Disregard, (Showing rule disregard is not the same as breaking a rule, it's intentionally going against it.)
Known to troll in serious discussions.
2. Friends of the admins, sure. Like BlackDog and Vauld? Both of whom are disliked in the group (at least by me) for their discussion style that feels like smacking your head into a fucking wall repeatedly? (no offence guys, you're fine outside the group talking about literally anything else, but god your discussion style is painful sometimes).
3. And yeah, your last point is true. That's something which could and probably should be fixed.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Too many fucking rules, I hear my university is starting a degree course just to understand the 100000 page long rules, rule clarifications and case law
I agree here too, which is why I support the work that Faustie is doing to improve that.
(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Expect a long measured rant tomorrow or some time when I can be arsed, but suffice to say here's my opinion: 

- Staff are, however, happy to ignore that bureaucracy when they want to get their friends off the hook for breaking the rules or want to punish someone for something they don't like.
- Too much fucking secrecy. Sometimes, it feels like the staff team are the fucking KGB trying to talk to them.
- Transparency. There fucking is none. What the fuck goes on in the ivory towers of the staff forums/discord? Fuck knows
- Community Feedback are just the friends of the admins, and half of them barely ever fucking play
- Too many fucking rules, I hear my university is starting a degree course just to understand the 100000 page long rules, rule clarifications and case law

edit: I should add the Givens was overt scarcasm and even Force picked up on that one lol

You hit the nail on the head here. All these issues are completely accurate and highlight how Limelight sold its soul to the devil and became the very thing it was born out of initially to break away from the nonsense. Sad to see.
If i could post a PogFish in here, i would.

I can understand some frustration but its important to be precise here. I feel like everytime we get a low playercount for a month or two suddenly everything is percieved as evil and malfunctioning - though in reality not much has changed.

A good example is the issue with "bureaucracy". Where exactly do you see that? The only places were you gotta fill out forms or abide by certain formal standards are suggestions (simply to make it easier to handle them properly), prs (that can seriously impact everyone involved in it and thus require certain proceedings), appeals (for the same reason as prs) and applications (its pretty self explanatory why an application requires a little "bureaucracy").
I can understand that certain processes (eg. the implementation of a suggestion) or matters dealt with in the courthouse-section can feel unescessarily complicated. But certain forms and conduct are nescessary there and have been there for years.

Staff
Trust me, it is not nearly as simple as that. A single appeal or pr can actually be quite time consuming as we want to become absolutetly certain that punishments are handed our or lifted for the right reasons. Yes this may sound like PR-Talk but from my own experience i can assure you that you that we take great precautions with  all penalties and courthouse matters. My longest appeal/staff report has been going on for little over a week including pages and pages of conversation, documentation and taking up several hours of investigations. 
Luckily Staff are human and as such they occasionaly make misstakes. They are quite rare but when they occur we are not hesitant to correct them. In said appeal for example i managed to overlook a single dot ("."). Though that did not impact the rule violation itself and changed very little about the context to the situation (context is something ill get to in a second) i consulted with HR to alter said penalty in the end.
Its safe to say that could do things a lot easier - but it could easily lead to great harm or negligence as we are well aware of the impact some of our decisions will have.

As for the alleged doublestandard. I think this again is dangerously oversimplified: YES we do have some freedom when it comes to the enforcement of the rules. And believe me we absolutetly need that freedom or things would be alot worse. As matter of fact im fairly confident you have benefited from said freedom as well as most people reading this.
If i see complete rookie with 0h making minor misstakes i will obviously not go for the banhammer right away. If a see a long time player with an otherwise clean record (like you for example) making a similar misstake i too would likely be a bit more lenient. Its common sense and common decency. If see a repeat offender giving me an attitude, lying/dcing or simply repeating the same thing over and over again we have to be a lot more severe with the penalty.
Often times people moan about how the (relatively compact) rules should be made simpler and staff decisions become more standarised, expecting greater freedom or to generally be better of, when instead that same demand would litterarly make them slaves to a very stiff and ill equipped machine. The more mechanical we get the worse we can adapt to certain situations. Context is vital to every single penalty. If i see Chong lee testing his chinese space programm im not gonna ban for him that (unless he decides to intentionally harm/harass people) if someone on the other hand throws train cars around the city (both cases technicly beeing failrRP/prop abuse) i obviously have to intervene.

In the end of the day everyone deserve to be heared out and treated as a human. And for us to be able to treat people humanely we need to be able to make humane and reasonable decisions. Decisions a standarised code does not allow.

I remember Daley waay back in the day making a oversized human grinder one very late night. We had about 10 people left online and all were having a pretty good laugh getting chopped up or throwing stuff in there. Yes it was stupid - but would you rather demote a staff member of some banter or live in the knowledge that we do have the freedom to goof of everyonce in a while. Community work requires some forms of leniency.

Another thing i would like to add here is that we have change pretty much nothing (other then minor changes to the ig-ruleset over time) about our rules or the way in which we enforce them. And all of a sudden its now becoming an issue.... that is a little hard to understand.
Im all open for suggestions regarding individual rules or general efforts to revamp them. But i dont see any recent or infact distant deterioration in the way rules have been enforced etc.

As for the secrecy part i can understand that at times things can feel that way. Often times it may depend a little on the staff member too. This is something we could likely try to improve a little. Though at times this too is a little random or dependend on the circumstances (eg. im much more talktive if im not handling a report or building sth time critical). But generally that is feedback we can work with.

As for the community feedback team i too can understand that impression. Though in the end of the day any efforts like this input team require a certain frame for things not to get lost, overcrowded or generally inefficient. Every peer reviewed process gets increasingly complicated the more people take part. In order for things to stay efficient and thus fulfill the purpouse of a feedback group that group has to maintain a certain maximum size. This however does not exclude anyone else from making suggestions or providing us with feedback. We recently changed the map based on a suggestion and a general poll. Feedback is important and any form of input is appreciated. Thats why we have our suggestion forum - thats why we occasionaly do server side polls etc.

As for the rules that is probably a bit subjective so ill keep this short. As i explained above my general concern is that with a thinner rule set staff would be forced to rely more heavily on circumstances and context which again would feed your concern about staff beeing corrupt. A less specific rule will require less specific/predictable enforcement. The broader something is the broader one can interpret a thing.
Though that at times could be quite beneficiary i doubt that you can meet a perfect mix between less rules and a more predicitble staff response as those two options can often be contradictary.
In the end though i can understand your point (and trust me so does the rest of the team) Though it is not that simple to cut back on rules.

As for the transperency i guess we could imrpove a little on that. But generally speeking some things need to stay secret. I know this sucks and trust me i too was quite eager to see the behind the scenes area of LL when i first became staff. But most of that stuff is fairly irelevant. We do not hide aliens and though the cocaine lounge has been leaked to the public - i can assure you that all the blow has been used up by one very eager admin. In all seriousness though there is nothing hidden that you wouldnt expect to be hidden (as is the case in every major community): Obviously certain security aspects can not be made public and some internal decisions need to be kept internal. Nothing (except some stuff regarding developement) in there is really that interesting. And developement wise doc probably put it best. It is rather pointless if not problematic to announce an update before you can safely know the exact release date. And sometimes it can be very hard to precisely predict that.

In the end of the day i can understand some of the frustation and concerns but I think it is important to stay focused and precise. Some of the things you bring up are not new by any means. It is alright to ctiticise sth. It is perfectly alright to be pissed off everyonce in a while but in oder to change things we need to stay productive, and precise.
Im worried that especially in times like these (where the playercount has been down for a while) people are getting a bit to vague, bring up clichees and fight each other where no fight is nescessary.

We dont need a bunch of "guess im leaving now" " i told you LL gon die" etc. threads or stuff like "the staff team is too corrupt". None of this has the potential to significantly or efficiently change things but only makes things worse feeding into self fulfilling prophecy of gmods eventual and long predicted decline.

You made some good points so that last part is not explicitly directed at you. Though i take it as a general reminder to us all to stay contstructive and productive.

_____

As with any larger community change can take some time. And some stuff will not allways be publicly accesible. I can assure you though that we are self aware and as eager as you are to get things going and maintain the best possible quality. We do not get paid - we all have a real life. We do this because we want to. We too grew quite close with this community and we too have great appreciation for it. And we too wish to do anything to maintain and improve this community as best as humanly possible.
Yeah, development could probably show a bit more I think that's a fair point. do you think something like a blog post showcasing what we're working on would help or what kind of communication are you looking for? I'm not sure about something weekly but maybe a very short biweekly or monthly update on what we've been doing could work. Unfortunately a lot of things we've been doing lately aren't really great to "see" as they're backend improvements and changes.

(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Too many fucking rules, I hear my university is starting a degree course just to understand the 100000 page long rules, rule clarifications and case law

I get it as it stands, but that's a bit disingenuous considering the SAs in response to that other recent serious discussion actually made some pretty major changes reducing rules from 78 down to 37 by removing and reducing rules. A bunch of the ones being kept are the boilerplate don't scam, don't hack, etc as well.
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/threa...#pid299790
(Jun 1, 2020, 11:59 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 01:53 AM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]- Staff are, however, happy to ignore that bureaucracy when they want to get their friends off the hook for breaking the rules or want to punish someone for something they don't like.
Not really, but ok.

Your boss has stated and I quote: "Should they have been warned? Probably, yep. Were they? Nope." My question is why? At the time my warning was issued: Cole, ForceGhost and Decay had all violated the forum rules in one way or another, granted the rules have now been changed, but at the time they posted the old rules were still in place.

Notice how all 3 of them have been apart of the team in one way or another, but none of them punished?

(Jun 1, 2020, 03:31 PM)goigle Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, development could probably show a bit more I think that's a fair point. do you think something like a blog post showcasing what we're working on would help or what kind of communication are you looking for? I'm not sure about something weekly but maybe a very short biweekly or monthly update on what we've been doing could work. Unfortunately a lot of things we've been doing lately aren't really great to "see" as they're backend improvements and changes.

Anything really, just something to show off that can get the older players (that are getting more and more bored of the server) to be excited for something new.
Quite a few points, will do my best to answer each in turn..

The main topic - update transparency

We still have the roadmap - it's easily accessible, up to date, and announced clearly on top of the forums. It may not always be completely up to date in regards to optimisation or back-end work, needed to sort technical debt, but that's mainly because we've received some pretty poor reactions in the past to saying we need to focus optimisation over content. This is steadily changing as the optimisation stuff is starting to work.

Had a quick chat about this with Doc and Goigle, Doc reiterating his point and Goigle pointing out we could update the roadmap to include further details and examples of what we're working on, or potentially link the changemap to pushes to beta server, not just live too, as a sneak preview.

The problem with this is Doc's points. They ring very, very true. Every dev here has dealt with it, and we've had way too many cases of devs/contribs losing motivation or even leaving because a few particularly loud members of this community can be very toxic and will have nothing but harsh criticism to offer whenever an update doesn't work out as planned, or if plans change, or if something has to be dropped. 

Think, for a second, why do you think we're in the current situation we're in now? Naturally you'd assume that most devs want to be proud of their work and want to get credit for it. This is true, for most. So surely there must be a reason why devs have resorted to being a bit more guarded over their work until it's ready to show? Read my previous paragraph and you'll have the answer. We're here because of experiencing far too much toxicity that has eroded dev motivation, and I'll be honest, from past experience it tends to come from the same group who also demand more information. Not always, don't get me wrong, some of you have very fair points - but from experience, it's loosely the same group shouting in both cases.

So, we had to adopt a more balanced approach. Make sure we're announcing updates and our general plans, and occasionally dev blogs also to give you more insight, but also making sure that updates are planned and somewhat tested before we announce them lest we open ourselves up to a barrage of bullshit because our updates didn't work out quite as planned. If you think we're being too dramatic about this, again, ask yourselves: why would a group of people who are keen to show off their work possibly not want to do so prematurely? You guessed it, toxic responses. If people learned to chill a bit more and have some leniency when part-time, resource-limited developers didn't manage to perfectly implement an update first try, then perhaps you'd see a lot more on-going progress updates.

That said, we are still considering putting more information on the roadmap with more in-depth progress reports, etc., just bear in mind it takes a fair amount of already limited dev time and if it's just going to lead to more negative toxicity, ask yourselves if you think this is really worth it. If the answer is genuinely yes, we'll try, but don't be surprised when the individual devs responsible stop doing it if the toxicity returns. This is on community, not just devs.

Secrecy

Most staff members are happy to chat to you personally, at least I am, and I try to make sure there's always a route open to speak to HR etc. too. They just don't like being dragged into loaded conversations where every chat is recorded and used as ammo down the line. I've experienced this a few too many times for comfort, but I still continue best as I can to offer an ear. 

Staff aren't just some big robotic entity, they're a group of people. The community members who treat them as such tend to have a much better time getting feedback.

Besides, it's not as if we're hiding much, as Doc said. Some votes which are necessary to be hidden otherwise people act completely differently and we can't vote on promotions fairly anymore. Early-stage dev planning which is either highly technical and doesn't get much engagement if we do release it, or which is premature to release lest we get the dreaded "devs lied to us!" bullshit. And in general, just a few discussions like rule changes that are best had with a smaller group otherwise we end up with a too-many-cooks type situation.

Bureaucracy

On the whole, agreed, but most community shouldn't need to worry about this. Honestly, things have gotten a lot better in this regard, but where there's still a lot of bureaucracy is generally where, due to past experience, we've needed some better form of process to prevent shit hitting the fan, yet again.

"Ivory towers"

Yes, of course staff are Illuminati, conspiring against the community and even their fellow mod and admin underlings. Give me a fucking break, this kind of crap is exactly why some people withdraw from taking part in the community. Guarantee it's zero fun to put effort into trying to improve a gamemode and community, only to get a fuckton of flak for it every time you make a wrong decision, even if you try to put it right after. Is it any wonder I don't play LL when I've had so many experiences of this?

I can't speak for the rest of the staff, but I can give my own perspective: those community members who still treat me like an individual and not some idiot sitting atop of an ivory tower will get my undivided attention when I'm available, and I'm more than happy to involve them in discussions about the team, about updates, the gamemode and community in general, etc. This includes people who are banned or even disliked by the rest of the team; treat me like a person, not some SA figure you love to hate, and you'll get my time and respect. Those who don't and adopt some retarded "us vs them" policy I start to completely ignore because it's toxic and demotivating, and to be honest it comes across as pathetic.

Finally, it's a small gaming community. I put the remainder of my increasingly limited spare time into trying to help out because the staff and dev team have made it clear my input and help is still welcome. I like what LL is, and I'd like to continue helping out the dev team and wider community etc. even if I don't have much time to take part in it. If you want to have only full-time people helping out spending all their time, then we're never going to retain devs long-term because that's not feasible when people have a life to deal with, too.

If the dev team makes it clear to me I'm no longer welcome and they'd do better without me, I'd gladly step aside - I've made this point clear to them a couple of times now.

I do try and mitigate my inactivity by making sure I'm not planning/pushing updates without wider staff and community support now because it means I can get feedback from active players.

Community feedback

CF was designed to be easy to join and leave. It's open to public applications, anyone can take part. We are changing the rules so that people have to be more active as it's useful, if that helps. 

Too many rules

Agreed, that's why I've been pushing to try and change this and it's almost finished. This has been made clear several times now in community feedback, in serious discussion threads, etc. 

TL;DR

- We have the roadmap; could consider updating; but current stance is due to ridiculous levels of toxicity and negativity whenever an update doesn't go as planned. If community chills, transparency will increase.
- Treat people nicer, you'll get to talk more. Also, we're not guarding nuclear launch codes.
- Bureaucracy - I guess, yeah. We're working to improve this. Some bits necessary due to past experience though.
- "Ivory towers" - Chill the fuck out and stop treating staff like robots, Christ. If you think you're not being listened to much by staff, it's normally because you're part of the problem.
- Community feedback is open to join, and designed to be a quick in/out type situation.
- Too many rules, agreed. We've said numerous times this is being worked on and is almost ready.
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:14 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 11:59 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
Not really, but ok.

Your boss has stated and I quote: "Should they have been warned? Probably, yep. Were they? Nope." My question is why? At the time my warning was issued: Cole, ForceGhost and Decay had all violated the forum rules in one way or another, granted the rules have now been changed, but at the time they posted the old rules were still in place.

Notice how all 3 of them have been apart of the team in one way or another, but none of them punished?

I'm afraid my LL staff hivemind isn't working right now. Mind giving me a link so I know what you're talking about please?

I can confirm I have just finished my PhD on FearRP.
Pages: 1 2