Limelight Forums

Full Version: Transparency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:16 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:14 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 11:59 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, but ok.

Your boss has stated and I quote: "Should they have been warned? Probably, yep. Were they? Nope." My question is why? At the time my warning was issued: Cole, ForceGhost and Decay had all violated the forum rules in one way or another, granted the rules have now been changed, but at the time they posted the old rules were still in place.

Notice how all 3 of them have been apart of the team in one way or another, but none of them punished?

I'm afraid my LL staff hivemind isn't working right now. Mind giving me a link so I know what you're talking about please?

Lord Octagon’s thread on Abortion.
(Jun 1, 2020, 06:19 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:16 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:14 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]Your boss has stated and I quote: "Should they have been warned? Probably, yep. Were they? Nope." My question is why? At the time my warning was issued: Cole, ForceGhost and Decay had all violated the forum rules in one way or another, granted the rules have now been changed, but at the time they posted the old rules were still in place.

Notice how all 3 of them have been apart of the team in one way or another, but none of them punished?

I'm afraid my LL staff hivemind isn't working right now. Mind giving me a link so I know what you're talking about please?

Okay, that's great, but I've never seen that quote before.
My boss could refer to like 12 different people.
That's why I asked for a link, I'm assuming your quoting from a thread that I haven't seen, so I'd like to see it and the context around it.
(Jun 1, 2020, 07:00 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 06:19 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 04:16 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]I'm afraid my LL staff hivemind isn't working right now. Mind giving me a link so I know what you're talking about please?

That's why I asked for a link, I'm assuming your quoting from a thread that I haven't seen, so I'd like to see it and the context around it.

My bad, thought you were referring to the thread where Cole, Force and Decay broke the rules.

The quote came from a discord DM
(Jun 1, 2020, 07:01 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 07:00 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 1, 2020, 06:19 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]Lord Octagon’s thread on Abortion.

My bad, thought you were referring to the thread where Cole, Force and Decay broke the rules.

The quote came from a discord DM

Uhuh, a quote with no context from a DM?

(Jun 1, 2020, 04:15 PM)Faustie Wrote: [ -> ]Secrecy

Most staff members are happy to chat to you personally, at least I am, and I try to make sure there's always a route open to speak to HR etc. too. They just don't like being dragged into loaded conversations where every chat is recorded and used as ammo down the line. I've experienced this a few too many times for comfort, but I still continue best as I can to offer an ear. 

I afraid I can't speak about a single quote, from a DM, most likely out of context.
If that's what he things, so be it. I didn't go into that absolute dumpster-fire of a thread, because I've got better things to lose brain cells over. My opinion has been based on the vast majority of cases on the server. Are there outliers? Probably, but I can't speak to those.

Sorry I can't answer that, I'll just have to refer you back to Faustie on that one.
In terms of bureaucracy and development:

Ever since we upgraded our entire infrastructure, back in November 2019, the acitvity in development has increased.
Not only is developing more fun, but also more independent and consistent. Each and every 'live' update has to be reviewed and approved by other core developers, leading to better and more stable updates.
Developers are free to help each other and been doing this for a long time now.

Recently, we have further improved the relations among contributors and developers, by linking the developers workflow to the contributors workflow and vice-versa. Lua-Contributors are now able to access their own/requested code freely without relying on a developer. They can also submit their changes for review, fully automated. Those changes can then be reviewed by developers and be applied on to the beta server. In addition, Contributors have received a bunch of useful dev-commands (such as /restart, bot commands) that aid in their development.

I understand that a lot of development is being done behind closed doors, mainly because these are either backend/infrastructure related services, or don't add much value in terms of information.

We've been transparent from the get-go when it comes to development.

Our first approach was the changelog-thread which was created by ‍ back in 2015.
We then slowly shifted to providing a changelog-viewer (V1 and V2, V3 currently in Development).
Internet then provided the community with additional insights into development, by hosting the changelogs Discord bots, that are responsible for logging Web and other non-cityrp updates.
Last year, Internet and Bambo then setup a Blog, that further helped getting the word out in terms of updates related to HR, Limelight, Development and Co.
Not to forget our public Github Organization where we provide our opensource software and/or styleguides.
The Limelight Twitter Account is  being updated regularly too.
Last but not least, there also is our Info-Site where we regularly update major development milestones.

Taking all these sources of information + the roadmap + our public Github Organization with Opensource Software + the limelightgaming.info site, I can't see how development is not transparent enough.

Now in terms of the hype:

I understand that this is something we all would love to see, yet it failed miserably in the past.
Whenever we hyped huge projects, they either died or caused major issues.
That is why nowadays we rarely hype projects and if we do, we are 99% certain those are functional and ready.

These are the dev stats of May alone:

[Image: VRXT4Rs.png]

I understand these stats don't add much value information-wise, but just so you can get an overview
how active development really is.
Yes, appoint me owner. Total transparency. As, I and my LimeLight persona believes in. 

We will create the CCP of LimeLight, and it will flourish.
I will personally change the staff teams IOR to that of vodka. A nice transparent 1.363. 
But on a more serious note. I think the transparency isn't massively convoluted. I feel as though, or at least from my personal interactions. The staff base gives us enough insight into what we need to know concerning community relations etc. 

The problem is, maybe there isn't much for the staff to disclose. Its abundantly clear not enough is happening to keep the community alive, despite some of the best efforts.

Edit: For reason that Burnett says quite well. The need to discuss things like large projects yields great issues. I've seen lots of positive development. But I see no real reason to publish it until its finished, all things considered.
Pages: 1 2