Limelight Forums

Full Version: What is the actual purpose of OOC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Apex

See title.

Every now and again convos will get shut down in OOC for one reason or another. Usually some highly lame and very flimsy excuse along the lines of "Keep it IC", so if anyone could actually specifically outline to me the purpose of OOC, the apparent unwritten rules regarding it that'd be epic.
People bashing at eachother about IC situations that should be kept out of OOC because the rest of the community doesn't have to see two guys arguing about who did that and so on.

A short summary is, what you write in OOC should be common sense.
OOC is normally generic things like asking questions about the server // Anyone else experiencing lag? 
or just saying hello to everyone or goodbye. You might just want to laugh about something that happened in-character for example. 

When people say to keep it in-character it's often referring to when people just want to bitch about the roleplay and question if something is within the rules. This can often make the entire situation worse which is why it's best just to /pm them maybe or call an admin if warranted.
OOC Chat is for Out-Of-Character conversations, flaming and such excluded obviously. It doesn’t make sense to argue over OOC all the time hence in those cases it gets shut. OOC is a nice feature of almost every Gmod Server but abuse has to be prevented, hence not everything can or should be dealt with in OOC chat. 

And as Mr. Sir already said, Common Sense should be enough to understand that insulting or annoying other people via OOC shouldn’t be a thing. Also, here’s the rule that covers your request quite nicely:

1.4 - Do not swear excessively, argue or insult in OOC chat, and do not write caps-locked messages. 
I remember last time I was asking a question about a rule in OOC some fucknuggets shut me down saying 'gO aSk oN tHe FoRumS ThIs IsN'T ThE PlAcE' like wtf is it for then?
(Feb 3, 2020, 02:24 PM)iDankCai Wrote: [ -> ]I remember last time I was asking a question about a rule in OOC some fucknuggets shut me down saying 'gO aSk oN tHe FoRumS ThIs IsN'T ThE PlAcE' like wtf is it for then?

cause you have a history of starting toxic arguements there.
(Feb 3, 2020, 02:24 PM)iDankCai Wrote: [ -> ]I remember last time I was asking a question about a rule in OOC some fucknuggets shut me down saying 'gO aSk oN tHe FoRumS ThIs IsN'T ThE PlAcE' like wtf is it for then?

Wonder who that was!
any further questions?

Apex

All you guys citing written rules please re-read the question. Or if your heart burns to cite those make a new thread Smile
"The apparent unwritten rules regarding (the OOC Chat)" is what you wrote, I didn't see OOC conversations being stopped on any other basis than rule 1.4, 1.6.1 and 1.11, so I am not sure what you mean with that, could you specify it a bit please?
Its literally just out of character chat for misc questions etc, staff have the authority to shut down any nonsense conversations or arguments. 

The authority of staff isn't limited to written rules, they are here to manage and maintain a friendly and calm environment so all players can enjoy it.

OOC is not your personal chatroom, take discussions to discord or steam messaging.
OOC imo is a place for people to talk about things they wanna talk about, discussions, questions and whatnot

You always see discussions on OOC daily, yes you could move it to discord or PMs, but that could ruin the flow of a conversation while you try and get everyones details, what their discord ID is and stuff.

It's also a good thing to watch while doing some farming

Basically, OOC is for OOC topics, doesn't matter if its not their personal chat-room, they're free to talk on it if they want

Apex

Lets not forget it's not just admins shutting stuff down guys. There's a lot of people that feel entitled to decide what can and cannot be discussed in OOC and will become very vocal about it.

Hence why I am confused, as there appears to be an official rule and then some weird unwritten social rule that people will check others in line for.
(Feb 4, 2020, 01:16 AM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not forget it's not just admins shutting stuff down guys. There's a lot of people that feel entitled to decide what can and cannot be discussed in OOC and will become very vocal about it.

Hence why I am confused, as there appears to be an official rule and then some weird unwritten social rule that people will check others in line for.

We probably do need more concrete rules for OOC on what you can talk about and what you cant talk about, but a lot of it's about common sense
Imo as long as the player asks kindly (because he’s kinda annoyed of it) or just names the rule and states that this probably shouldn’t be done via OOC it’s fine... If it doesn’t stop though one can just turn off those messages, quite simple actually.

Usually when I see people asking to stop it’s pretty alright as people are throwing shit at each other via OOC, sometimes it goes into Backseat Moderating though (messages like „No metas“ sound like a command, not like a mention of a rule), the line is not even that thin I think.
Pages: 1 2