Limelight Forums

Full Version: Toxic player report culture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Apex

When did player reports become a medium for punishing someone for breaking a minor, insignificant rule just to satisfy someones personal issue with someone.

Let's be real, 65% of player reports are petty as fuck and could have been handled in game with a mild amount of people skills.
I do agree but most times (from my experience) i prd someone for something petty i told them about the rule etc.. and they carried on doing it until it either effected my or someone elses RP which then i would PR them some people just dont wanna understand

Apex

(Jul 31, 2019, 12:01 PM)Zaidplays Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree but most times (from my experience) i prd someone for something petty i told them about the rule etc.. and they carried on doing it until it either effected my or someone elses RP which then i would PR them some people just dont wanna understand

I'm more referring to stuff like, someone breaking NLR to get their car after a firefight, etc. It's hardly a major rule break and to be honest no one was left worse off as a result.
(Jul 31, 2019, 05:00 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 31, 2019, 12:01 PM)Zaidplays Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree but most times (from my experience) i prd someone for something petty i told them about the rule etc.. and they carried on doing it until it either effected my or someone elses RP which then i would PR them some people just dont wanna understand

I'm more referring to stuff like, someone breaking NLR to get their car after a firefight, etc. It's hardly a major rule break and to be honest no one was left worse off as a result.

Some rules dont affect anyone or anyones PR but idk staffs gonna have to answer that one..

Experience... Never seen you on?
(Jul 31, 2019, 07:13 PM)Tom_ Wrote: [ -> ]

Experience... Never seen you on?

im talking past tense dumbass xD

Apex

(Jul 31, 2019, 07:13 PM)Tom_ Wrote: [ -> ]Experience... Never seen you on?
who are you fam
I myself, as staff, give a verbal warning in the circumstances which the person breaks NLR while taking their car because
  • It might become a habit that causes a major rule breakage by accident if one is not reminded
  • The person who is going to pick up the car might not know it but picking up the car could cause an interaction with people who killed him
(Jul 31, 2019, 11:27 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 31, 2019, 07:13 PM)Tom_ Wrote: [ -> ]Experience... Never seen you on?
who are you fam
Yo who the fuck are you aye
Speeding is still a crime even if no one is within a hundred miles of you. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time bucko
Experienced players don’t break rules in front of staff. We post reports on them because they deserved to be punished for the “petty” rules just like everyone else.
(Aug 1, 2019, 12:12 AM)Hungames Wrote: [ -> ]Speeding is still a crime even if no one is within a hundred miles of you. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time bucko

Technically, for a crime to take place there would have to be a victim.  A lot of "crimes" aren't really criminal in nature, they are just a way for a government to regulate your behavior.  Technically, laws like that are unconstitutional in the case of the United States.

To the main post:

It has been like that since before the split and likely before the other community existed.  It exists across the entirety of Gmod, and in many other games where similar systems exist.  You've just now said something, but I assure you that it's been a thing since the dawn of that style of system.  Player reporting is simply a way to take a jab at another person, weather it be petty or not.  I call it "slapping them on the dick."  And when you think about it, its really what is happening.  Doesn't matter if you are a non-malicious person reporting a violation that negatively impacted you, you still are calling for a "dick slap" on that person for their behavior.  It is the same as telling your sitter, supervisor, mom, boss, the police, ect.  This leads to counter PRs because "snitches get stitches."  So, its not the community's fault.  It's society's fault.
Whilst it's waned a little in recent months, remember the Del Bianco - Givens skirmish? There were some PRs in there that were extremely petty, and looking back Forceghost agreed with me there. One that especially comes to mind was a complaint about sandbags on top of a shipping crate, claiming roof defences were being used.  That one ended in a PTE blacklist if I remember correctly. 

Whilst this is an edge case and usually only crops up with giant clan wars or extreme rivalries, I smell another clan war coming soon and I wish not for people to be spamming PRs whenever they lose a fight. The system is way too open to abuse and because staff can't make a sit and tell when someone is improvising their replies at all in a attempt to make their opponent seem worse than them (because you can't expect someone to respond quickly over a forum) exaggeration can be used to fill evidenceless gaps in the PR.

Basically: If it seems petty, it likely is and staff should be ready to bite back if someone is making a malicious PR.
It's almost like the server is in a constant state of a witch hunt where the community has been told that rules must take precedence over RP, therefore that people MUST be reported against rather than dealt with IC.
I think it's fine for players to make an PR, because after telling another person they are breaking a rule, they got ignored. But then again, the way you address somebody can make a world of difference.

If you tell somebody they are breaking a rule in a friendly and calm manner, they might just listen to what you have to say. If you shout at them like an escaped chimpanzee it's a diffrent matter.

I think PR's should only be used when there is no staff member on, or if the situation requires additional evidence. PR's serve a purpose, it's just a shame certain individuals have used it to witch hunt other members and nitpicking every situation.
Pages: 1 2