Limelight Forums

Full Version: New FearRP changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:2.1 - You are considered to be under FearRP when you are in line of sight of a visibly armed person, who is within default microphone range of you and is able to harm your character at that moment. You must act afraid of armed people and life-threatening situations.

So the change states that the person must be within default microphone range, why is this and how are players supposed to know the default range? Also, why would this not apply to yelling? Whispering, doesn't really make sense.

Yea when i was informed of this today I dont quite get why it was changed?

If bob is telling me to get on the ground and has a gun at 10meters, why is that different than if he had done it at 20 meters?

If bob sneaks up to me at 1 meter, and puts a gun into my back and says "Hands up or yourdead" I suddenly dont have to abide by fearRP?
#ScrapFearRP
Hasn't it always been default microphone range? Also, default means the range you can speak at when you haven't run any commands like /y or /w, because then you are no longer in default microphone range, but an extended/shortened microphone range. Default is with no extensions/shortenings/changes, by definition of "default":

"a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."

... the alternative here being /w or /y. The preselected option here being the in-between (the mic. range which you spawn with).

I just realised the flaw myself. I think your original post didn't really make your point very obvious, but I do see the point now that I've realised it.
(Examples) Default mic range: 10 meters
Yelling mic range: 30 meters
Bob (sorry Blackdog) asks you to get on the ground from 25 meters, how do you know whether you are under fear RP or not, since you don't actually know if you're out of the "default" microphone range. How do you know if you can hear him solely because he's using /y. If I'm getting shouted at to get on the ground, I have to know how far he is, and how far default microphone range is, to be able to conclude whether I'm obliged to get on the ground or not. If I know how far 10 meters is, and if he is outside of that range (25 meters), and is shouting at me, I could be like "well yeah you're not close enough to tell me to do that", but there's no clear indicator as to how far mic ranges are whilst you're actually playing.

I get it, now.
(Jan 16, 2019, 06:36 PM)Cole_ Wrote: [ -> ]1. ...within default microphone range, why is this and how are players supposed to know the default range? Also, why would this not apply to yelling? 2. Whispering, doesn't really make sense.

All due respect, ...
  1. Chances are if you can hear the other player you're within microphone range...
  2. Sure it does, if you're trying to be stealthy in a crowd or in an apartment with thin walls (Such as the Slums.) where you can be easily heard and want to avoid that, you'd whisper.
(Jan 16, 2019, 10:23 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 16, 2019, 06:36 PM)Cole_ Wrote: [ -> ]1. ...within default microphone range, why is this and how are players supposed to know the default range? Also, why would this not apply to yelling? 2. Whispering, doesn't really make sense.

All due respect, ...
  1. Chances are if you can hear the other player you're within microphone range...
  2. Sure it does, if you're trying to be stealthy in a crowd or in an apartment with thin walls (Such as the Slums.) where you can be easily heard and want to avoid that, you'd whisper.

What about police yelling from outside a building with /y to tell the occupants to come outside, and they can see them and are able to cause damage/harm to the character? That's all within the rule, and a new player would think they'd have to come outside, when they wouldn't because they're outside of default microphone range, but inside of yelling microphone range.
There's three voice ranges: yelling, whispering and normal. I don't see how a player is expected to know where the end of the default voice range is, and where the start of the yelling voice range is.

If jim was trying to put me under FearRP and he's on yelling, how am I supposed to know? There's literally no difference in voice tones or whatever, just the range to which his voice is projected is changed.
Ye ‍, I'm not the best at wording things :L

All due respect, ...

Reebs, the issue is not that you can or cant hear them, but the fact the wording of the rule now states that if your talking and they can hear you within 10m, fearRP applies, if they are 20m away, it does not apply, if they are 1-5m away, it does not apply.

What sense does this make? How can a player be expected to know the voice setting they are set to at that very moment, and why is that relevent?

If bob can see, and hear Jim with a rifle shouting at him to get off his damn lawn, under current policy, because Jim has to shout to let bob hear him, bob does not have to follow fearRP, because it is NOT the DEFAULT voice setting

I quote the rule itself:

2.1 - You are considered to be under FearRP when you are in line of sight of a visibly armed person, who is within default microphone range of you and is able to harm your character at that moment. You must act afraid of armed people and life-threatening situations.

Because Jim is at 20m away, armed, but i can only hear him because he is useing the shout voice option, Bob does not have to abide by his orders under current policy and  if Jim snuck up and whispered not to move to bob, Bob also does not have to follow fearRP as policy states in its exact wording, that because it is not the DEFAULT microphone range, fearRP does not apply.

I can almost guarantee that if a player abided by the exact wording of this policy, they would STILL get in trouble for breaking fearRP, due to fearRP being a subjective policy enforced at the whim of the staff handling the case, and not an objective policy that is enforced in an identical way to all other enforcements.
(Jan 16, 2019, 10:38 PM)BlackDog Wrote: [ -> ]

All due respect, ...

Reebs, the issue is not that you can or cant hear them, but the fact the wording of the rule now states that if your talking and they can hear you within 10m, fearRP applies, if they are 20m away, it does not apply, if they are 1-5m away, it does not apply.

What sense does this make? How can a player be expected to know the voice setting they are set to at that very moment, and why is that relevent?

If bob can see, and hear Jim with a rifle shouting at him to get off his damn lawn, under current policy, because Jim has to shout to let bob hear him, bob does not have to follow fearRP, because it is NOT the DEFAULT voice setting

I quote the rule itself:

2.1 - You are considered to be under FearRP when you are in line of sight of a visibly armed person, who is within default microphone range of you and is able to harm your character at that moment.

Because Jim is at 20m away, armed, but i can only hear him because he is useing the shout voice option, Bob does not have to abide by his orders under current policy and  if Jim snuck up and whispered not to move to bob, Bob also does not have to follow fearRP as policy states in its exact wording, that because it is not the DEFAULT microphone range, fearRP does not apply.

Ah. I gotcha. Seems I misunderstood something. My apologies.
I don't know. I had to come up with a rule change in like 5 minutes after I found out about the voice change thing because I realized it wasn't consistent with the rule. Default microphone range is just an arbitrary distance number. It wouldn't make sense to make it longer if someone was shouting vs not shouting or shorter if they were whispering so it was changed to just be default cause of the update. No you can't know for sure if someone is yelling or not which sucks but it's the same if someone isn't talking but decides to type instead. If you aren't sure if you are out of default voice range you should default to abiding by FearRP.

Also didn't want everyone and their mother to change their voice ranges to yell because it would carry 0 disadvantage and just give them a FearRP advantage permanently if FearRP range scaled with voice.

Quote:if they are 1-5m away, it does not apply.
Excuse me, what? Which part of WITHIN default range makes you think that 1-5m is not within default range? Can you not hear me from 1-5m away at default range? I'm confused.
(Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 PM)Cole_ Wrote: [ -> ]There's three voice ranges: yelling, whispering and normal. I don't see how a player is expected to know where the end of the default voice range is, and where the start of the yelling voice range is.

If jim was trying to put me under FearRP and he's on yelling, how am I supposed to know? There's literally no difference in voice tones or whatever, just the range to which his voice is projected is changed.

Unfortunately you can't, which sucks. For now, estimate distance and default to under FearRP if not sure. Going to see if it's possible to get some sort of indicator to make it not a guessing game.

We had no official FearRP range for years and we seemed to manage I'm sure it's not the end of the world until we find a better solution :>
Just change it to “you can hear them”
(Jan 16, 2019, 11:41 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]Just change it to “you can hear them”

Once again, in that case, we'd have everyone and their mother switching to yell to have a FearRP advantage. Plus in my opinion yell range is too long to be a "fun and intuitive" FearRP range. But that is certainly one of the possible solutions.
If you hover your mouse over the character, if you see their details you are within default microphone range, I think that was pointed out to me a while back
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5