Limelight Forums

Full Version: A change to Rule 6.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Explain your suggestion in detail:

Change 6.2 from:
Quote:You require staff permission to build in areas you do not own (unless it's outside the city but not on roads), or the president's permission to build if it's the Town Hall. You may spawn small, roleplay-appropriate props in areas you do not own as long as they are not frozen
To:
Quote:You require staff permission to build in areas you do not own (unless it's outside the city but not on roads), or the president's permission to build if it's the Town Hall.  You may spawn small, roleplay-appropriate dupes in areas you do not own.

The change has been emboldened.
Why should this be implemented?:
As I suddenly found out, in the eyes of some staff this includes the unused areas like the plaza in front of PD, Slums car park (Which I know some people park at but Town Hall Car Park is literally 10 metres away, and has actually defined spaces) and other areas like these. The issue is that Rockford, and the most likely future candidate Truenorth, have little to no building spaces within the city. When people need staff permission to do even the most basic of RPs like food truck or anything with a custom building involved, it tends to drive people away from doing unique RPs and the likes because it poses the risk of a) not being able to do it because a staff member is either in a bad mood or is AFK or b) not being able to do it because of a lack of online staff.
The issue with the rule currently is that it is discouraging for some who wants to do PassiveRP in the middle of the city, but are not doing a shop, meaning that the shops are useless. Building custom RP dupes out in the middle of the highways can be considered FailRP in some RP cases eg Schools, Libraries etc and also puts the RP out of the main view of other passiveRPer, who tend to be on the lookout for shops and other RPs in that area.
In conclusion the rule can be extremely limiting to passiveRP as it currently is, and should be changed to open up to variety and quality of roleplay, something this community was founded upon.
I feel your new wording of the policy actualy makes things MORE restrictive than the old one

"You require staff permission to build in  buildings you do not own/do not have government planning permission to use, roads "

Rather than simply requireing players to gain staff permission to place down larger dupes in the city zone or on roads, your new policy would completely disallow the construction of any dupe in any area that a player does not own, land as well, as the land itself is tied to the building.

Not only this, as the old policy is simply within the city itself, your new policy would be map wide, being even more restrictive on any new map we change to.

The only thing I feel needs changing with the policy is the ending 

Change:
 You may spawn small, roleplay-appropriate props in areas you do not own as long as they are not frozen.

To

You may spawn small, roleplay-appropriate dupes in areas you do not own.

As the current wording would forbid say a hotdog stand from being spawned frozen or a billboard, though this is never enforced, so we may as well correct the wording to be more in line with the policys meaning and enforcement
Edited to be worded the way ‍ has done so as it's better
Honnestly troughout my entire playtime on the server only building on roads was trully a enforced rule, public unused areas should remain completely free to be built on
I feel like the rule should only restrict roads and sidewalks infront of other properties (unless you own the property), I also feel should it should be the president's decision, not staff's.

+Support
Building in grassy areas is fine, the staff don't bug about that unless the build its self looks out of place, completely random or has no roleplay for it, but stuff like parks, food trucks and stuff are completely fine.

The rule is usually enforced when someone builds on roads, but having a rule change so people don't request to have a food truck set up sounds good.
(Jan 8, 2019, 02:32 PM)miss joley Wrote: [ -> ]Building in grassy areas is fine, the staff don't bug about that unless the build its self looks out of place, completely random or has no roleplay for it, but stuff like parks, food trucks and stuff are completely fine.

The rule is usually enforced when someone builds on roads, but having a rule change so people don't request to have a food truck set up sounds good.

Issue is, I was getting yelled at for building on a plaza, which is stupid. If we end up on TN, Buttstallion park with be a prime piece of real estate, but nobody will be able to build there without staff perms which would make it shame.
You weren't really yelled at, seeing how I was the one that spoke to you that day. Apologies if you felt otherwise.

I'm totally down for this though, but I'm concerned that people would make unrealistic structures in open areas, which is why the rule is there in my opinion, to make sure that it isn't awfully unrealistic or impacting on the roads/other players, so as long as it was phrased to prevent unrealistic structures.

+supp dependent on the addition of above stated.
(Jan 10, 2019, 02:00 PM)Night Wrote: [ -> ]You weren't really yelled at, seeing how I was the one that spoke to you that day. Apologies if you felt otherwise.

I'm totally down for this though, but I'm concerned that people would make unrealistic structures in open areas, which is why the rule is there in my opinion, to make sure that it isn't awfully unrealistic or impacting on the roads/other players, so as long as it was phrased to prevent unrealistic structures.

+supp dependent on the addition of above stated.

Yeah it came across passive aggressive really. As for unrealistic structures, surely that just comes under FailRP?
Apologies again, I'll try and be more mindful.

It could do, but better to have it written. Helps people to understand rules better, rather than having us throw it under a wildcard.
(Jan 10, 2019, 05:39 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah it came across passive aggressive really. As for unrealistic structures, surely that just comes under FailRP?

The thing about the title "Unrealistic structures" is that its kind of meaningless these days.

Modern construction allows for some insanely stupid things.
Its almost unfair to define anything players construct or do as "Unrealistic" because no matter how dumb it looks, someone in the modern building design world has done something dumber and actually had it built for the sole sake of being able to say "I built the worlds most bendy tower, or the most curvy building"
I think it is time for us to stop defining "unrealistic" in-game by how many times you've seen it and start defining it by how successful would it be. For example how well supported is it? Then again, of course, none of us are statists (people who determine how well a building would stand and what materials they should be made out of).
Yeah cause realism is the problem when we have Night rping as an unkillable flying man that kills people and gives riddles... Yah (Not hating on the RP, it's fun. Just saying that aslong as it's something that could stand and not destroy itself it should be deemed realistic)

What Markus said^
+Support
Pushing for Staff Review.

#type:[review]
Pages: 1 2