Limelight Forums

Full Version: What do you think will improve or motivate PassiveRP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
PASSIVE RP
Everyone seems to be saying that there's no passive RP in limelight anymore, wither its been said on OOC, leave threads or just in general, a lot of people have been mentioning that no one passive RPs

Also I find it a bit odd that no one made a thread about this (as far as I'm aware) in the discussion section.

I'd like to ask the people who say that PassiveRP is dead or we need more of it, to recommend and suggest what ways you think will improve it or fix it, 

if you think that its dead, which I agree to, then what do YOU think would fix this problem? since people are too quick on leaving the community for these reasons I think it concerns the community as a whole. 

Let's keep things civil folks.
It's partically due to the fact that if someone sets up a Roleplay that involves others to get involved like a Walmart or Resturant, most of the time no one turns up as everyone is to busy shooting each other and doing aggressiveRP, leading to the creator of the RP getting bored and shutting it down.
If your RP is not in 190 Main Street it will most likely not get attention as that is the only street that gets attention and the only building really fit for an RP in that zone.

So partically because of the map really, EvoCity had a main street full of shops and the city wasn't so spread out meaning most RPs would go noticed
C O N T R A B A N D 

we need a money reset

Pat

When I left Limelight a few months ago the Passive RP's were decreasing, but I wouldn't really call it dieing. This I think was due to the new Contraband update where you could make around 4 million everyday. Back in late 2016, Passive RP and Aggressive RP were balanced because contraband didn't make you much money. To fix the issue we can either add more updates in Passive RP or (what we did with woodcutting) decrease the amount of money given by contra farming.

Another reason for the decrease in Passive RP was the map change. Although Evocity and Rockford are the same sizes, Rockford is more spaced out in properties. If I remember correctly, the only building getting attention for doing Passive RP was 190. Mainstreet and I remember when someone closed down an RP and sold the doors, someone would already be waiting there trying to start their RP. This issue can be solved by another map change. But since Rockford had so many votes, I don't think a map change will come anytime soon.

Another possible reason for the decrease in Passive RP might possibly be because of the Staff Team/Teacher Team. Teachers can encourage Passive RP's more by (for example) opening a shop and including other players that they might be unfamiliar with instead of whenever Teacher A would make a RP. Teacher B,C,D would join in because they are Teacher A's friends. And when a random player asks if they are hiring instead of saying no, you could say yes and opening up a few more doors. I understand the Staff Team may not have time to make/do RP's due to their administrative duties. But seriously, when there are around 5 admins on with only around 3 handling the @ calls and 2 doing fuck all is just annoying. Those 2 admins could be making RP's, encouraging RP's, helping RP's and joining in on RP's. Instead of sitting and messing around with his/her friends. A few Staff Members actually tried to do this, with his Events and Passive RP's, and  constantly try to encourage police RP and I know this because of all the hard work they do in the Private Discord. 

This is a really pressing matter LL is going through, fix it or more people are going to leave.
Rewards

Crafting NEEDED to make items

Player ran economy

Sadly none of these will happen as this topic keeps coming and nothing actually happens.

EDIT: I may go into more detail later, but this is it in a nutshell. Players needs an incentive to do things legally. I agree with passive RP ways of income, but not just pressing a button. Make woodcutting more interactive and have its own positive and negatives like trees falling or equipment breaking.
(Aug 4, 2018, 09:22 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]When I left Limelight a few months ago the Passive RP's were decreasing, but I wouldn't really call it dieing. This I think was due to the new Contraband update where you could make around 4 million everyday. Back in late 2016, Passive RP and Aggressive RP were balanced because contraband didn't make you much money. To fix the issue we can either add more updates in Passive RP or (what we did with woodcutting) decrease the amount of money given by contra farming.

Another reason for the decrease in Passive RP was the map change. Although Evocity and Rockford are the same sizes, Rockford is more spaced out in properties. If I remember correctly, the only building getting attention for doing Passive RP was 190. Mainstreet and I remember when someone closed down an RP and sold the doors, someone would already be waiting there trying to start their RP. This issue can be solved by another map change. But since Rockford had so many votes, I don't think a map change will come anytime soon.

Another possible reason for the decrease in Passive RP might possibly be because of the Staff Team/Teacher Team. Teachers can encourage Passive RP's more by (for example) opening a shop and including other players that they might be unfamiliar with instead of whenever Teacher A would make a RP. Teacher B,C,D would join in because they are Teacher A's friends. And when a random player asks if they are hiring instead of saying no, you could say yes and opening up a few more doors. I understand the Staff Team may not have time to make/do RP's due to their administrative duties. But seriously, when there are around 5 admins on with only around 3 handling the @ calls and 2 doing fuck all is just annoying. Those 2 admins could be making RP's, encouraging RP's, helping RP's and joining in on RP's. Instead of sitting and messing around with his/her friends. A few Staff Members actually tried to do this, with his Events and Passive RP's, and  constantly try to encourage police RP and I know this because of all the hard work they do in the Private Discord. 

This is a really pressing matter LL is going through, fix it or more people are going to leave.

All is right but the main focus of the thread is not the reasons why passive RP is dying or decreasing, its how to increase it.

you seem to have the right idea in terms what is wrong with the current problem with Passive RPs, I'd love to hear your suggestions around fixing this problem.
(Aug 4, 2018, 09:49 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Rewards

Player ran economy

Sadly none of these will happen as this topic keeps coming and nothing actually happens.

EDIT: I may go into more detail later, but this is it in a nutshell. Players needs an incentive to do things legally. I agree with passive RP ways of income, but not just pressing a button. Make woodcutting more interactive and have its own positive and negatives like trees falling or equipment breaking.

I would love to hear more from you, specially what you meant by crafting items cause I personally don't quite understand how it would help with PassiveRP I'd can see it be a bit more on the grindy side of things instead of passive RP side of things.

Take your time to go into detail, would love to hear more.
give REPs out more often, "hire" more teachers, have more rewards and better rewards then a piece of clothing, maybe the ability to use tool/physgun cars etc...
(Aug 4, 2018, 08:18 PM)Vimpto Wrote: [ -> ]It's partically due to the fact that if someone sets up a Roleplay that involves others to get involved like a Walmart or Resturant, most of the time no one turns up as everyone is to busy shooting each other and doing aggressiveRP, leading to the creator of the RP getting bored and shutting it down.
If your RP is not in 190 Main Street it will most likely not get attention as that is the only street that gets attention and the only building really fit for an RP in that zone.

So partically because of the map really, EvoCity had a main street full of shops and the city wasn't so spread out meaning most RPs would go noticed

Fair points but I personally see it in a different light (to some extent)

I believe that RP isn't the idea you create or the build you make, its the character you role-play as in those builds and ideas you have, for example I used to role-play as a gangster, (In the old community I have 6 RPP just from that RP alone) and normally what you'd expect from a gangster is to mug people and get involved in criminal activity, but my RP was to pretend as if I was a low life gangster and put on a very gangsterish accent to go with the RP and create funny moments and awkward interactions, I didn't role-play as a smart gangster, I role-played as a high school drop out who lacks education and intelligence, this way the idea of RP isn't with my build or anything its just with the character that I tend to play. 

Also another thing people always misunderstand is that, its not "My RP" or "his RP" its everyone's RP as it is a CityRP server which means the whole City Role Plays the current state it is in, what makes role-play actual role-play is when something happens that you or anyone else doesn't plan for, the act of YOU playing YOUR character the way he would in what ever situation he is put in is the definition of RP, to simplify it, think of RP as what your character would do, and not what your real life self would do (with following the rules of course)

You can encourage PassiveRP but not necessarily force it. Its up to the community themselves as to what choices for what RP they do and what actions they take. Sure thing like I said you can encourage and help it but at the end of the day why would someone PassiveRP with no gain whatsoever.
(Aug 4, 2018, 11:28 PM)Rocket Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 4, 2018, 08:18 PM)Vimpto Wrote: [ -> ]It's partically due to the fact that if someone sets up a Roleplay that involves others to get involved like a Walmart or Resturant, most of the time no one turns up as everyone is to busy shooting each other and doing aggressiveRP, leading to the creator of the RP getting bored and shutting it down.

Fair points but I personally see it in a different light (to some extent)

I believe that RP isn't the idea you create or the build you make, its the character you role-play as in those builds and ideas you have, for example I used to role-play as a gangster, (In the old community I have 6 RPP just from that RP alone) and normally what you'd expect from a gangster is to mug people and get involved in criminal activity, but my RP was to pretend as if I was a low life gangster and put on a very gangsterish accent to go with the RP and create funny moments and awkward interactions, I didn't role-play as a smart gangster, I role-played as a high school drop out who lacks education and intelligence, this way the idea of RP isn't with my build or anything its just with the character that I tend to play. 

Also another thing people always misunderstand is that, its not "My RP" or "his RP" its everyone's RP as it is a CityRP server which means the whole City Role Plays the current state it is in, what makes role-play actual role-play is when something happens that you or anyone else doesn't plan for, the act of YOU playing YOUR character the way he would in what ever situation he is put in is the definition of RP, to simplify it, think of RP as what your character would do, and not what your real life self would do (with following the rules of course)

I see what you mean but it’s hard to do a Roleplay like a shop when no one gets involved, I was doing an ASDA Roleplay yesterday and it wasn’t great for the first few minutes thanks to & as they got involved and pretended to be drunk angry shoppers. But for the rest of the rp the only visitor(s) I got where A37 who came to shoot it up once in a while for their own enjoyment. Then John Jong Molotoved the whole build cause he thought it would be funny to ruin the RP.
(Aug 4, 2018, 11:34 PM)Vadar Wrote: [ -> ]You can encourage PassiveRP but not necessarily force it. Its up to the community themselves as to what choices for what RP they do and what actions they take. Sure thing like I said you can encourage and help it but at the end of the day why would someone PassiveRP with no gain whatsoever.

Because it used to be fun when you got a lot of interaction and the cool builds that were involved in good quality passive RP.
Nerf contraband, remove the tranq, add more REP rewards, switch back to evocity (any version providing it has a main street with plenty of shops), increase the frequency of REPs
Ive been wanting to make a similar thread in discussions for some time and have been trying to think of ways for the server to return back to being a peaceful (not rude and toxic) and role playing server. Some of my ideas off the top would be these:
     - Bring back the rule that 'contra-farmer' jobs arent allowed: Either the earlier days of LL or maybe even long ago when i played FL, there was a rule stating that you could not just be someone who camps out in one room and farms money. Not only does this encourage more rp but discourages people from accepting that sitting in a fortified base to make money all day and kill any intruder is ok. This feeds right into the cops and robbers theme.

- Enforce rules regarding criminals: All to often are criminals (thugs now) doing things out side their range of rp. Will either that's stealing cars and never owning a chop shop or being a car thief (a daily thing) or just running around in a band of Militarized robbers. Things like this should not be an accepted norm.

- Enforce Rules with punishment: Kind of following the one above but just to be more general, enforce rules with punishments more often. All to often are players with high hours and reps breaking simple rules and are very obviously aware. These players often get no ban and maybe a short black list at best, whether an ig admin deals with it or not. This just reinforces the idea that its ok to do what their doing. If I go mass cdm with my 750hrs and 8 reps, i plan to be banned at least for a week or so but if i just get a 2hr vehicle blacklist what does that tell me? I feel like if players realized minging and nnot following the rules would get you removed then theyd be less likely to do it obviously.

-*Only allow Steamnames/IDs and IC player descriptions visible to other ig players until they show that player /showID: While just an idea to forcefully help meta gaming and forcefully require rp to figure out who people are, its just an idea. This could insanely hard or next to impossible to implement or might not even work since you could still just look at the tab menu.

-Player Report Section: We need to add to the player report template to repel the immense amount of pettiness we experience in the thread on a daily basis. Im not sure what needs to happen here or be added, maybe under 'Summary' and 'Evidence' add something like "How did this effect you or your Rp" and just like the other two boxes for 'Summary' and 'Evidence' if someone puts a dumb or bad reason it can get denied. I feel like this or something like this would get rid of a lot of unnecessary and toxic PRs. Because too often do player reports have little to no effect on the person reporting or their rp.

These are all the ideas ive recently had, feel free to discuss, build on, or criticize any of em'
(Aug 4, 2018, 09:49 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Rewards

Player ran economy

Agreed, likes it been said in this thread already passiveRps are up to the player and when theirs no benefit to passiveRp other than fun. well thats shit because with the map were on no one visits passiveRps so its just yourself in a shop with no one.. takes the fun right out of passiveRp (usually). But if you gave another reason or benefit to running passiveRps it would attract more players i think, or hope. And the player interaction is what makes a passiveRp fun and an actual Rp. The food farming system that was never added (we still have the models for though) would make the chef job and farmers a usuful and profitable Rp if the farming system was implemented right. Along with crafting ammos and maybe even guns or just some guns would make gun dealers useful. Follow this them with most jobs, adding some smaller interactive economic systems into a few of the merchant jobs should make it attractive enough to a general player base.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5