Limelight Forums

Full Version: Disable VCMod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Explain your suggestion, in detail: Disable VCMod, either for a week to test or permanently

Explain why the suggestion should be implemented:
I'm aware this is an unpopular opinion but wanted to post this as a suggestion.

I've heard from a number of players that they have been experiencing more issues on the server since VCMod has been re-enabled. I can confirm from my personal experience that my old PC was completely unable to connect to the server after a VCMod update if there were more than 40 people on the server. I believe that at the least a week test should be done to test the server/player stability with only Photon/Atmos.

Why not remove Photon?
As a Photon developer (and the one who basically runs the addon now) I am fairly biased towards it, however I do believe that Photon ELS are better than the VCMod counterparts. I'd also say that having emergency lighting as opposed to standard vehicle lighting is a decent tradeoff. If Photon were to be disabled half of emergency vehicles would fail to function due to not having VCMod support.

I don't like to have to make a suggestion like this since it removes a feature that I think many players enjoy. However, sacrificing server/player performance just for the sake of headlights/brakelights on cars doesn't seem like a worthwhile tradeoff. Please understand that this post is from a technical standpoint.
+Support for trying for a week.

I know from talking to people they have just disabled it all together and some have kept it on.
+Support

have also Noticed a lot of Errors in console and a lot of micro stuttering that seems to be only since VCmod was re-activated.
There are some issues that need to be fixed with the re-addition of VCMod (such as a small script error) so +support.

As for ELS, Photon is much better in customisation and is a lot more optimised than VCMod ELS, so no chance it's getting swapped out.
I'm sad to say I support this.

While VCmod adds a ton of features to enhance the play experience, it's causing stability issues in clients. Script errors, demand, I dunno. It needs to be taken out and if a lighter or less buggy mod can fill the job, lets do that.
+Support
For a server of such popularity and with such a large player base, a large map is needed. With a large map, you can obviously expect to need vehicles to get around, as walking from one side of the map to the other quickly becomes an ache. With this said, a full server would mean possibly 80 cars on the server at the same time, all driving at the same time, with or without ELS. The amount of lag this could cause to the server id imagine would be substantial, probably making the server unplayable.

All that said, if this suggestion is trying to replace VCMod with something a lot less laggy, you have my support.
+support

It has also been reported the amount of fps drop that VCMod causes, for something that really isn't necessary.
Vcmod still have features that photon doesnt have and thats alot , but sure for test can be not permanetly
+Support

VCmod for the most parts looks ugly and hideous and looks as if the developers just grabbed all the cars and placed them into a row and then welded the lights from the light tool and made an addon about it, therefore making photon look much better

Advantages of VCmod
I don’t find anything in here
Disadvantages of VCmod
Looks Hideous
You have to pay for the addon itself

Advantages of Photon
It’s free and available on the workshop
Looks nicer
You can make configs
You can enable hazard lights and blinkers (on select cars)
Has the ability to submit your creation into the workshop

Disadvantages of Photon
I don’t think I can list any
(Feb 10, 2018, 02:23 AM)IsThisaNewFLRP? Wrote: [ -> ]+Support

VCmod for the most parts looks ugly and hideous and looks as if the developers just grabbed all the cars and placed them into a row and then welded the lights from the light tool and made an addon about it, therefore making photon look much better

Advantages of VCmod
I don’t find anything in here
Disadvantages of VCmod
Looks Hideous
You have to pay for the addon itself

Advantages of Photon
It’s free and available on the workshop
Looks nicer
You can make configs
You can enable hazard lights and blinkers (on select cars)
Has the ability to submit your creation into the workshop

Disadvantages of Photon
I don’t think I can list any

An advantage of VCMod is the regular lighting in 3D space. The headlights actually light up the ground rather than photon, but I really don't think VCMod is necessary because GMod isn't dark anyway. As long as there is headlights visible on the vehicle, I personally think it is fine.
Pushing for Staff Review.

#type:[review]
Approved.
Finished.