Limelight Forums

Full Version: Winch for Vehicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Explain your suggestion, in detail: Add a winch to the Market that kinda works like the new photon lighting system for the cars. Only allow it for certain vehicles like trucks. Also I think the Heavy Rescue Fire Truck should automatically have a winch. It would need at least a 1 REP restriction for the truck and the winch in the market. The winch can work similar to the tow truck, except without buttons. When you pick up the hook, it has a certain distance it can go to attach to a vehicle. When it attaches, the length doesn't change. Then the vehicle can be pulled out of whatever the situation is. Or you can just have small buttons on the winch to control it.

Explain why the suggestion should be implemented: Improve RP a lot. Now with the ravine and major accidents involving it, I only see it standard to have a way to pull out a vehicle. Right now I see a lot of RPs involving the ravine using props to push a vehicle when someone "pulls it out with a vehicle", and everyone knows how dangerous moving a car with props is.
+Support
I think S.W.A.T van should have it as standard as well.
+support
Added poll, please vote.
Not all Vehicles should be able to, like Sports cars, sedans, etc.
-support. This would completely kill the popularity of the tow truck, which already gets very little use. If this were implemented, 99% of players would prefer the extra power of some of these trucks over the ability to change the length of the winch with the tow truck.
(Jan 7, 2018, 06:01 PM)Blazing Wrote: [ -> ]-support. This would completely kill the popularity of the tow truck, which already gets very little use. If this were implemented, 99% of players would prefer the extra power of some of these trucks over the ability to change the length of the winch with the tow truck.

The winch is not a way to tow vehicles, well it shouldn't be. The winch is just for getting vehicles out of situations that don't fit the tow truck. For example, a car fell down the ravine and is struggling to get back up the slope to get on to the road. A tow truck would have to drive down the slope and connect and pull the vehicle up, which makes it dangerous for the tow truck driver. With the winch, you can use a fire rescue truck and pull the vehicle up the slope with out putting another vehicle in danger.

Edit: The winch would be lower to the ground and not be able to lift a vehicle's front wheels off the ground, making it not ideal for towing.
(Jan 7, 2018, 08:56 PM)Monkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 7, 2018, 06:01 PM)Blazing Wrote: [ -> ]-support. This would completely kill the popularity of the tow truck, which already gets very little use. If this were implemented, 99% of players would prefer the extra power of some of these trucks over the ability to change the length of the winch with the tow truck.

The winch is not a way to tow vehicles, well it shouldn't be. The winch is just for getting vehicles out of situations that don't fit the tow truck. For example, a car fell down the ravine and is struggling to get back up the slope to get on to the road. A tow truck would have to drive down the slope and connect and pull the vehicle up, which makes it dangerous for the tow truck driver. With the winch, you can use a fire rescue truck and pull the vehicle up the slope with out putting another vehicle in danger.

Edit: The winch would be lower to the ground and not be able to lift a vehicle's front wheels off the ground, making it not ideal for towing.

In that case, the tow truck is actually worse than other trucks with the winch.

The problem is that in real life, you'd want the towed vehicle to be airborne for optimal towing. In Garry's Mod, this is the other way around because you cannot make the towed vehicle fully airborne, meaning it drags across the ground and is actually slower than having the towed vehicle on the ground on all wheels.
+Support
+support

Especially for cars where it makes sense, it would be really good (SWAT van, jeep, pickups)
(Jan 7, 2018, 09:57 PM)Blazing Wrote: [ -> ]

The problem is that in real life, you'd want the towed vehicle to be airborne for optimal towing. In Garry's Mod, this is the other way around because you cannot make the towed vehicle fully airborne, meaning it drags across the ground and is actually slower than having the towed vehicle on the ground on all wheels.

Actually in real life, it is optimal for just the front wheels to be off the ground, to create a pivot when turning. With all four wheels on the ground, the front wheels would scrape as the vehicle would try to go forward as the tow truck is pulling it in a different direction. In Garry's Mod, it is very possible to get the front wheels off the ground and not have the rear bumper drag along the ground. Besides, if the winch is on the front of the vehicles, it would be an almost to nearly impossible towing job unless you have a lot of experience. Because of that, I do not see the tow truck being phased out.

I feel as though I have explained myself well enough, any more concerns?
(Jan 8, 2018, 12:53 AM)Monkey Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 7, 2018, 09:57 PM)Blazing Wrote: [ -> ]

Actually in real life, it is optimal for just the front wheels to be off the ground, to create a pivot when turning. With all four wheels on the ground, the front wheels would scrape as the vehicle would try to go forward as the tow truck is pulling it in a different direction. In Garry's Mod, it is very possible to get the front wheels off the ground and not have the rear bumper drag along the ground. Besides, if the winch is on the front of the vehicles, it would be an almost to nearly impossible towing job unless you have a lot of experience. Because of that, I do not see the tow truck being phased out.

I feel as though I have explained myself well enough, any more concerns?

I made a mistake there, you're correct. However, it is still optimal in Garry's Mod for towing to occur with all wheels of the towed vehicle on the ground due to the dodgy physics engine.

Your suggestion for the winch only to be allowed on the front of vehicles would be a good solution though, so I'm willing for this to happen if that's the case.
+Support
Pushing for Staff Review.

#type:[review]
Approved.
Pages: 1 2