Limelight Forums

Full Version: Contributor Subforum - Add Stickied FAQ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Explain your suggestion, in detail: Add a stickied FAQ in the Contributor Sub-Forum.  List information that is useful to potential contributors: What gamemode is closest to correct for how to code the LUA?  *Insert Gamemode here*  What all is required for a script to be considered "converted" to the gamemode? *Insert Detailed and Definitive Requirements*  Are there other ways to Contribute other than creating via lua?  *Insert Anything Yall Need*

Explain why the suggestion should be implemented:

To the point, I have knowledge with HTML5, CSS, and DB.  I've seen things I want that aren't scripted for here.  I'm sure I can work through altering it, given some time, or altering current things to suit similar purpose.  I don't know what all is different between the gamemodes other than maybe layout, but apparently people make a big deal out it so it really helps to know what I need to study.  Also, you could provide links to sample code, as I couldn't find anything to look at out there on teh googlez, except for some stolen GM files for what looks like years old "CityRP1".
There will be similar gamemodes floating around which you could refer to when creating whatever you indend to code. Cant give any more info regarding that.

Regarding "I've seen things I want that aren't scripted for here" are suggestion threads for these currently made ? If not feel free to post them, Id like to hear what ideas you have !

Its nice to see someone taking an active interest to the point of asking information like this.
I've talked to Dr.Internet since making this post and provided him with a ton of follow on questions that will assist in the creation of this process, as it took him a few replies to help me understand some of these things. Like I told him, telling a potential contributor that they should seek files elsewhere, that admittedly aren't even near close to one another, is very offputting. I suggested that yall create a sample shell for which contributors can work with, that is laid out in a similar fashion to how we need to have it laid out.

The idea that I should have to seek a sample code that isn't the same, from a 3rd party, isn't a good one, too many security and copyrights issues.

He also has been informed of what all pieces of the code I'm interested and what I want to do with them. Sadly, I'm not allowed to look at the code, and your team admittedly is very busy with current and future tasks. I've since found similar code that I can use as a template to build what I'm after, but this is going to be prone to issues because I'm going to have to submit what I have, progressively, for feedback on how I need to alter things, make those revisions, then resubmit, over and over till the project gets done.

I understand why some aspects of your coding are guarded and hope that perhaps some of the code strings could be isolated so that they could be reviewed for potential salvaging. Specifically, the Coffee Pot and parts of the Meth System can be used to create other entities that could be of equal or greater value to the general FULL population, regardless of rp style preference.

Only stupid question is the unasked one. To some this project seems simple and almost pointless. To me, I see it as a bridge to get you the people whom don't know how to do the task more interested in said task. I want to be the change, not talk about it.
Regards to the nature of CityRP there is alot of "complicated" reasoning for the core gamemode and or parts of it being available to the public even if your intention is true that you would like to contribute to Limelight.

In my last reply I forgot to put that you would be best to speak to the Contrib. Liason (Dr. Internet) but you have spoke to him since.

I understand your view of what you are saying but there are alot of things that could end up being vunerable if a said sample shell was created, such as security issues for our gamemode aswell as other backend things that should never be visible.

I'll tag here as he may be able to give you a better response but personally thats what I can see the reasoning/reasons as to why (I dont do coding).

Thanks,
Vadar.
Pushing for Staff Review.

#type:[review]

This is currently being discussed internally, so expect a response in a week or two.
Approved.