Limelight Forums

Full Version: Let's Discuss Arrests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So at the moment, all arrests are dealt with in-character and most of the time arrests are for things that are so simple and stupid and that you won't even get arrested for in-real life. 

And almost 30% of @ calls are about arrests and how they feel as if they weren't arrested properly or how they think its a false arrest. Thus pissing off as lot of players and not motivating them to play, and don't even get me started on players who use the excuse of "corrupt" just to intentionally piss off players as a police officer.

So here I start a discussion, not as a staff member but just as a member of the community.

My suggestion is:
Remove the feature where it teleports the arrested players straight to jail and instead have the officers take them there and then arrest them. Thus having to take the warranted/wanted player into the police car and all the way to the cells. 

This is will decrease the amount of times people will get arrested and make it more of a hassle for police officers to arrest players, thus decreasing the amounts of "bs" arrest reasons that a lot of players complain about. 

The only bad thing about this suggestion is new players are going to break FearRP and not comply, other players who aren't very well experianced will also do the same and lead to more rule-breakage, than law-breaking. 

What do you think? MAKE SURE YOU READ THE THING BETWEEN THE LINES BEFORE YOU COMMENT.
I like the idea. But the ability to drag handcuffed people would %100 be required imo. It'd basicly completely counter the fear rp dilemma.
This had me bothered alot of times aswell.
Got arrested for 15min for jaywalking, and that pisses me off
I'll still arrest people for BS even if I have to transport them, if anything It'll irritate people more and waste more of their time rather then them instantly starting their sentence. I don't see this really preventing more arrests.
(Sep 12, 2017, 05:43 PM)SourLemon Wrote: [ -> ]I'll still arrest people for BS even if I have to transport them, if anything It'll irritate people more and waste more of their time rather then them instantly starting their sentence. I don't see this really preventing more arrests.

Do you have a better solution then my suggestion? 

You bring a good point, but I'd like to hear your solution.
+Support??
if we get the dragging thing like in arma, we could do this. if we dont, we cant
Like others have said, the dragging would have to be a thing. A thing that you would not really be able to resist (looking at most handcuffs today). If not, people would stop complying to their arrest (if they were already complying) upon hearing that they are about to be transported to the PD.

Next to that, there has to be a stronger enforcement from staff on misuse of third party software/metagaming to announce where you and the officer would be driving for possible retaliation or attempts to free the suspect as having to transport them down to the PD would give them a lot of time to do that.

Other than that, the ideas sound good to me. I wouldn't have a problem doing the whole process at all. If you don't want to roleplay things out, don't join a community based on roleplay.
The issue I see with this is that this is drifting into an area where this content would be good for a serious RP server, but not for semi-serious nor dark RP. In a gamemode where there are no consequences and people's expectations are for things to be quick and easy like Dark RP but also have the substance and depth of a more serious RP server, What I see coming of this is nothing but pure boredom. What fun is being held at a crime scene as the rest of the raid commences behind you? What's going to be fun about riding in the back of a car? What's fun about adding all of these extra steps to end with the same result of sitting in a cell for 15 minutes? All of those questions were rhetorical, the answer is that none of that is fun and it's only going to cause more frustration. Without any content of a judicial system that actually takes time and is fun arguing a case for your freedom on a Roleplayer character that actually means something (like in a serious RP server) this is nothing but more frustration and boredom. This prevents nothing and only makes the gamemode less fun.

For Limelight and the CityRP gamemode and how it's conducted in general wants the best of both worlds. It's trying to do everything at once: have depth and be fast-paced. You want people to give a shit about arrests by adding on more negative sanctions and waste peoples' time while also having the most fun thing about the gamemode be shooting things (for most people). You expect for people to not commit crime by making things more tedious and time consuming when they get caught, or for people to not randomly arrest people for the exact same reason. As Sourlemon stated, he won't stop arresting people for bullshit reasons and people won't stop shooting stuff because it's the only immersive thing about the gamemode.

LimeLight attempts to provide a feeling of depth and real consequences by making it worse on the player and make the game itself frustrating and the experience not fun at all when one commits crime in hopes it deters people away from killing everyone in sight. That doesn't create an immersive and fun experience: sitting in jail isn't immersive, being dragged to prison isn't fun, driving around isn't fun, selling items isn't fun, and contrawhoring isn't fun. What is fun about the gamemode is the player interaction, the creativeness of people and what someone can make of a situation (improv/roleplay), and slowly advancing in the game as far as status among peers and wealth. So if we want to capitalize on these things, why are we making player interaction (cop and criminal in this case) feel tedious and boring? If we're going to add tedious parts to being arrested, well then let's add more to it by adding a judicial system where a judge (if the president allows a judicial branch) sentences one to a prison sentence if they commit a crime.

So where am I going with this rant?

1) The most fun thing about Limelight is the player-to-player interaction and shooting things.
2) Making player-to-player experiences more tedious and boring will not make the gamemode more fun.
3) Limelight attempts to strike that perfect balance between fast and energetic like in DarkRP and have the depth of serious RP.
4) Limelight/CityRP fails to strike that balance due to the fact that the only way it tries to provide negative sanctions to crime and one of the only fun things in the gamemode is by making it boring and tedious for the player(s).
5) Finally a bit more OT, adding this will not stop random arrests but only cause more tedious and boring sh*t that people have to go through.
6) If we do implement this, we need to add a purpose to the tediousness of the experience by adding a required courtroom sentence (or something along those lines) to add actual CONTENT to the gamemode.

I also want to make this other point:

Fearless RP seems to strike the balance more towards the the "fast and fun" idea of the gamemode while we seem to want more of that "depth" to everything, but fail miserably because we don't have that sincere seriousness to the experience. If we want to add this and make things more realistic, then let's just bloody call ourselves a serious RP server and actually capitalize on the ability to add content that will make our tediousness more fun.

Examples:
Crafting system to wood and means of production that way it's not just gather and sell.
Throw the bloody F1 menu out the window and use the means of production to create items such as weapons.
Add characters and make the consequences of death and imprisonment real.
Incentivize player interaction through means of production and business deals.
Rework everything from the ground-up by adding in-game restrictions based on how things work to prevent things like the FearRP rule and all other 100 rules from being necessary.

We want to promote a passive RP server but lack the atmosphere, map, in-game incentives, and consequences to be one. When we have 150 rules that you can be banned for, it's because of a flawed system and instead of fixing the flaws you just stick a rule on it like a band-aid. If we want the depth of a serious RP server, then just become a serious RP server. Rework the whole damn thing so we can have that depth and make it so things are actually fun. Gunfights are fun, talking to other people is fun in a RP, but nothing else is. Everything else is either a grind or tediousness with no rewards.

This kinda spiraled off into a whole other dimension, but I think it revolves around the same idea that I'm trying to convey. Hope you enjoyed reading.
I agree that bringing people to the actual PD for an arrest would be more fun (friends of the person about to be detained attacking the police car on the way to the station to free their friend comes to mind), but I don't necessarily think it will reduce random/abusive arrests.

The problem that we really have is that there is no middle ground. You either arrest someone for their crimes, or you do nothing.
I personally try to give people tickets to give them more of a choice and to understand their actions, but this is of course only possible with very minor things as a guy with a gun rarely wants to pay the fine but rather just starts shooting you.

Some kind of middle ground would be nice, like a citation to be in court at a certain time or they will have an arrest warrant put out for them.
Either way, it would require more or less a complete overhaul of how the justice system currently works.
I like the current system, but this sounds good too, dont know
The thing is, , that a court system would not do LimeLight any better, until there is a system where you can actually gather EVIDENCES and improvements to police investigation. 

As I already said in another thread: Court RP would be 2 partys - both be like "No, I didn't do it!" - "Yes, you did!" - "No, I didn't!" - "Yes, you did!" [...], etc.

Take the Detective Kit for example. You can check body bags. You can see how the victim died. You can see a bunch of seemingly random numbers that are supposed to be "blood samples". But all these things are useless, because you cannot push further investigations with it.
There is no way to take a blood sample from the suspected person and compare it with the blood samples found on the body(bag).
There is no way to take away a weapon from a suspect and compare e.g. projectile profiles / blood samples with the ones found on the body(bag).

Basically Court RP would only stretch the process of getting arrested anyway, because there are lack of evidences. Or you go "In dubio pro rea" and let everyone go as a judge, when the police / the other party cannot prove what they accuse.
I don't think we need anymore systems if I'm honest, the more systems we add the less RP there is in my opinion.

The reason why I originally suggested this is to prevent people leaving or hating the community from them being arrested by a police officer who is just going around intentionally trying to annoy people by arresting them.

I do agree with some of what Theo said but, I still think we should find a way to solve this issue as we will lose players from this.
Or just whitelist the police force so kiddos who get bullied at school don't come bully me too.
(Sep 13, 2017, 03:58 PM)monk Wrote: [ -> ]Or just whitelist the police force so kiddos who get bullied at school don't come bully me too.

stfu criminal skum
Pages: 1 2