Limelight Forums

Full Version: The Official Stance on SWAT and their Duties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After everyone seeming to have a slightly different opinion on what SWAT can and cannot do, i'd like to ask a question and hopefully get the official stance from a member of staff on what they can and cannot do.

As I currently understand it, they sit at the Nexus and wait for a call that requires their armed abilities. They can do things such as trainings to try and eliminate boredom but as it stands, the majority of SWAT is sat outside the Nexus with their Tahoes parked on the sidewalks.

Looking at the Wikipedia, which I understand is not an accurate source but is none-the-less slightly trustworthy, it mentions that SWAT have their equipment in modified police cruisers, so surely this would mean that SWAT could be on patrol? It mentions that SWAT may be deployed in high-risk areas for crime suppression, so they could situate around Corleone due to it's risk as many raid bases are situated there?

Quote:"SWAT personnel will normally be seen in crime suppression roles—specialized and more dangerous than regular patrol"

The following quote especially made me think,

Quote:"The relative infrequency of SWAT call-outs means these expensively trained and equipped officers cannot be left to sit around, waiting for an emergency. In many departments the officers are normally deployed to regular duties,"

This is what SWAT currently do, their callouts are not exactly frequent and they are therefore sat around. Surely this is a wasted asset, and as they are being paid a salary and are using extensive equipment, the government of EvoCity would see that it is better to deploy them on standard duties until the time they are called upon? After all, they do remain LEOs and apart of the police force.

Using another source, it mentions that SWAT is an additional duty meaning that they would be regular LEOs until they are called upon, suggesting that SWAT could be doing the duties of a normal LEO until it is needed that they take upon the role of SWAT?

Quote:"In most cases, SWAT team members are pooled from the ranks of patrol officers, detectives, and even supervisors and sometimes command staff.  These officers typically serve as SWAT team members as an additional duty to their regular jobs, so that SWAT is not a full-time career in itself."

As they are required to respond rather quickly due to the dangerous nature of the callouts that would require them, would it not be more efficient to have them patrolling in order to be spread out and able to get atleast one officer on scene as soon as possible?

Quote:"When the hot call comes, though, these officers respond as quickly as possible, ready to take whatever action may be necessary."

My sources used are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWAT
https://www.thebalance.com/swat-team-mem...ion-974843

Please do debate all of the above, as i'd like to see what the community thinks. I do understand that this is a game, a RP server, and not real life and there are obvious reasons against SWAT patrolling and taking on standard LEO duties that may include:

SWAT are heavily equipped, and their time would better be used elsewhere rather than in a pursuit with Trabbie.

It would make any form of criminal RP a lot harder as instead of having police to respond first, it could very well be an entire SWAT team in a Bearcat.

Being in Britain and EvoCity being based in the United States, i'm sure many of my views are wrong as they relate more to our armed police, CO19, who patrol and carry out regular duties but in cruisers that have their weaponry in, marked by some yellow dots on the vehicle.
Quote:so surely this would mean that SWAT could be on patrol? It mentions that SWAT may be deployed in high-risk areas for crime suppression, so they could situate around Corleone due to it's risk as many raid bases are situated there?

That's what I thought that we can patrol in area like Corleone but I got told off for patrolling so no you can't patrol
I am not a member of staff like you have requested, but I could share my slight bit of knowledge on the subject.
Even in The Netherlands, some special team members can normally patrol around (and so, take over basic LEO duties) until a certain call meant for them comes in. You basically hop out of your vehicle, slap that trunk open and dress yourself in your fancy super armor and grab yourself a more powerful rifle and report to the call-out.

I believe in most states in the US it's the same principle. SWAT is not a full-time job, as I've seen PLENTY of situations and videos regarding those situations where SWAT members can be seen on traffic stops and certain check-ups a ''normal'' LEO could respond and attend to, as well.

I believe someone posted a suggestion to replace the SWAT division with normal police officers ready to jump into that super armor and grab that powerful rifle when it's necessary and to add a detective division, too.

In my opinion, and from what I've seen in my own country, nearby countries, the US and during most of my roleplaying years in both Grand Theft Auto and recently in Garry's Mod, the most realistic thing would be if SWAT would indeed not be a seperate team anymore, but more of a ''normal'' LEO that can transform into a more tactical unit whenever needed. Heck, some of these are even on an ''on-call duty'' which mean they know they might have to jump into tac gear and respond somewhere almost instantly.

[Image: S1oC5EQ.jpg]

That being said: I do believe that SWAT officers should not start getting privileges to start patrolling around or to attend to basic TS', until the whole seperate team gets removed and the ability gets moved over to ''normal'' LEOs to gear up as a tactical unit/SWAT team member when necessary like the suggestion suggested.

Just my $0.02
I got told off for responding to a 3 possible men with a shotgun and we were not allowed to respond.
SWAT shouldn't respond to calls that can be dealt by police officers until backup is called. Their equipment isn't cheap, as you and Wesley said, If they only put on heavy uniforms for emergencies that would be understandable.

If SWAT go around in the city with full combat gear, it doesn't comfort the citizens like the Government should. That is my point of view.

https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-14836.html

The suggestion I linked above ties to this discussion.
At least in the US, the only places that maintain full time SWAT teams are large departments. Everywhere else is a part-time, on call basis where they do their normal duties and should a situation arise, they gear up. There isn't really more than 4-5 at the max full time SWAT teams in my state, one of the largest in the US.
Does anyone think that the standard police team should be extended and SWAT remain a donator perk that allows police to suit up?
Basically its a shit and boring job that you pay real money for because you get big boy guns and clothing.
A SWAT Bearcat being used to end a pursuit kinda demonstrates how adaptable their role is.
sometime watching video,i do see SWAT assisting pursuit legitly with the armor vest of "SWAT" with his firearm on his back but it is not allowed to patrol as a SWAT in LL,its kinda like what wesley and Venom said "Full time" job they have to be on standby until being dispatched,panic button being pressed,armed personal in a vehicle,hostage situation etc.
I think the whole idea of RP freedom needs bolstering. Make it a choice of the president.

Also in time of lockdown, SWAT may patrol city / enforce checkpoint within city.
Most city police departments have a dedicated tactical team, including SWAT. Evo city in my opinion would have their own dedicated team so I wouldn't go down the road of having all cops and then having them change into tactical gear. You only see that in places where the department does not have enough money to support a full-time team and training. Evo city is not a small town or somewhere isolated from the world fair to say. 

As for SWAT themselves, no they do not patrol unless there's a crisis such as the president issuing a lockdown, or a terrorist attack or a gun battle where police are overwhelmed.

For the argument of "I saw a call on the radio where guys had guns" that is invalid because remember not all police requests are real. However there are police codes and plans to where SWAT would be put on standby, but not officially called until a police officer can confirm the heavy firepower and call for backup.

So to put it together, SWAT are the guys that come when the police can't handle it. They do not go in first, the officer does unless they require help or the president/sergeant or person in charge deems it necessary for them to intervene. For example if the cops are getting gunned down and its obvious that there's a direct threat I would not have any issues personally with SWAT voluntarily assisting. 

Note I'm not an admin so I wouldn't take what I'm saying to heart on the server, however I use to be a super admin so I hope it helps bud.
(Apr 13, 2017, 07:18 PM)Preditor Wrote: [ -> ]Most city police departments have a dedicated tactical team, including SWAT. Evo city in my opinion would have their own dedicated team so I wouldn't go down the road of having all cops and then having them change into tactical gear. You only see that in places where the department does not have enough money to support a full-time team and training. Evo city is not a small town or somewhere isolated from the world fair to say. 

As for SWAT themselves, no they do not patrol unless there's a crisis such as the president issuing a lockdown, or a terrorist attack or a gun battle where police are overwhelmed.

For the argument of "I saw a call on the radio where guys had guns" that is invalid because remember not all police requests are real. However there are police codes and plans to where SWAT would be put on standby, but not officially called until a police officer can confirm the heavy firepower and call for backup.

So to put it together, SWAT are the guys that come when the police can't handle it. They do not go in first, the officer does unless they require help or the president/sergeant or person in charge deems it necessary for them to intervene. For example if the cops are getting gunned down and its obvious that there's a direct threat I would not have any issues personally with SWAT voluntarily assisting. 

Note I'm not an admin so I wouldn't take what I'm saying to heart on the server, however I use to be a super admin so I hope it helps bud.

Major departments have full time tact teams, but a city like EvoCity wouldn't have one in my opinion. In the two counties where I live and work, with a combined population of ~1 million, there are only three tactical teams. None of them are full time. Both sheriff departments have one and there is a regional one consisting of officers from multiple departments. The only readily available tactical units are officers in the departments that are certified SWAT operators and they are patrolling until they get a call out.
(Apr 13, 2017, 01:34 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]I think the whole idea of RP freedom needs bolstering. Make it a choice of the president.

Also in time of lockdown, SWAT may patrol city / enforce checkpoint within city.

Good idea
Pages: 1 2 3