Limelight Forums

Full Version: [Guide] Concise Police Pocketbook.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Apex

I understand there are other guides on the command structure of the Police etc, but this is just a comprehensive guide on other factors.

Some of you may ask who am I and what position do I stand in to make a manual?! Numerous years in Public Service Command Structure training is the answer.
Index -
1 - Rank structure.

2 - Incident procedure.

3 - Crime Prevention.

4 - Working Skills.

1 - Rank Structure.
Generally speaking each department will start out with a two tier, two section system of command, it goes like this:
---------[Section one]-------------
[Tier one] - Police Sargent 

[Tier two] - Police Officer

---------[Section two]-------------
[Tier one] SWAT Sargent

[Tier two] SWAT Officer 

Now the two sections DO NOT out rank each other in daily patrol / administrative capacity. The only time SWAT can tell the Police what to do and how to do it would be during an incident. That is it. 

It has also been noted in another guide that Police tend to assign themselves ranks such as "Captain". 
While this is relative to role play, it is not really effective when used.
By using the rank of Captain, and then having four to six tiers of ranks below that just complicates the rank structure and is pretty time consuming to manage.

Realistically you should only have a maximum of three tiers to the rank structure because beyond that it gets complicated and meaningless. 

Is there any point in giving people ranks such as Corporal?

Yes, and no. It really depend on what kind of department you plan on running; should it be really well organised then yes, yes you should as that means they can take over while you handle other duties such as meetings, etc. However if you plan to let your officers just do whatever you want then no.

2 - Incident procedure.

This is the part in which things become complicated as the procedure for incidents can depend on what kind of incident it is. But I will give a general synopsis and then list common incidents and how to handle them.

Another factor of a Incident is the term "Business Continuity" this should be imagined as "How does this effect local entities such as business?". For example a car crash in the city tunnel will prevent people from entering and exiting and thus effect business in the area.

It is this reason that means it's highly important that a minimum of one lane be opened as quickly as possible to allow for traffic to flow around the incident.

General incidents:

Casualties: Make sure any casualties are not in immediate danger, however do not put yourself at risk trying to save them.

Contain: You should try and contain the incident, put up barriers and prevent witnesses from leaving until recording their details. 

Protect: the scene: Make sure the scene is protected from outside or inside influence.

Possible risks?: Make sure before you move into a incident, you should visually asses the area to make sure that by entering you will not also become a causality; the Paramedics can not help people if they are helping you.

Road traffic collision (Car crash):

Casualties?: How many are there? Where are they? What are their injuries? All of this needs to be relayed back to radio so the paramedics know how serious the incident is.

Danger: Is there fire? Are there casualties trapped in or under vehicles? 

Location?: Where are you? What are the immediately local landmarks? (Tunnel, treeline, buildings)

Road closure: Use your vehicle to block the road at first, but be sure to make a open lane of traffic and put up barriers.

Victim of crime:

It is highly likely that as a Police Officer you will come into contact with a victim of crime, because of this a few certain criteria must be met to ensure the most information can be taken from them in order to find the offender/s.

Descriptions: 
Who committed the crime?
What were they wearing? 
What car did they drive? 
What did they look like? 
How many of them were there? 
What kind of voice did they have? 

These are all questions you can relay to all the other units to BOLO (Be on the look out) for. This is a highly effective method of finding suspects; remember the quicker you report details in the less chance they have of getting away.

Large scale incidents:

A large scale incident, while unlikely is still possible as you progress through your job as an Officer.
This is where your radio will become your main resource!

The first on-scene at the incident should NEVER get directly involved with it. You are now the Local Area Commander (Bronze Commander) and it's your job to replay information back to other officers about the type, size, location of the incident along with calling in EMS and Fire.

The other thing you need to take into account when handling a large scale incident is the amount of vehicles that will attend, if you have a full government you can expect a mass of vehicles to flock to the scene and just sort of clump in a giant mass; now this is usually fine but if for example it is in a tunnel no one else can pass through. The responsibility of vehicle organisation rests on the head of the Bronze Commander / Most senior at the scene. (Bar the political entities, I.e: President, Vice President)

THIS PART IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL HOWEVER IT WILL GREATLY ASSIST YOU SHOULD YOU NEED IT:
There is a pre-existing acronym for large scale incidents that will allow for the Bronze Commander to effectively relay the correct information back, it is SAD CHALETS:

(I used this from a website, mainly because I am too lazy to format it myself: https://incident-management.blogspot.co....alets.html)

Survey the scene.

Assess the situation and the risk implications.

Disseminate information to the correct groups in the correct sequence.

Casualties: Number, type, and condition.

Hazards: Types, severity, impacts, and status.

Access: Management control points, safe routes in, and reception centers.

Location: Specific grid reference or prominent feature of the event.

Emergency Services: What support is required.

Type: Nature and type of crisis incident.

Start Logging: Start collating information from the beginning of the event.

3 - Crime Prevention.

I am going to say this once, and only once:
Unmarked police cars do not work and they are bad.
A visible police presence is more effective at crime prevention than obviously unmarked cars floating around doing nothing.
Should you want to make your job easier, it's wise to begin Crime Prevention techniques to stop crime before it even happens. A few of the most basic of which are listed below:

Wanted alerts: Sending a broadcast of the description of wanted individuals is a good strategy to gain information from the public.

Regular police patrols: Police patrolling in high crime areas can prevent criminal activity.

Aligning business with Government ideals: Strangely enough criminals tend to go to gun stores, make sure the Government is on good terms with the gun dealer as they are more likely to come into contact with a criminal and report it compared to anyone else.

4 - Working Skills.
Working skills relate to the way in which you act and generally do your job; a good officer will learn to be nice to people and keep a calm and composed voice when handling even the most aggressive people. The only time you should be aggressive is in a life or death situation.

If you handle someone with a snarky and sarcastic attitude; don't be surprised when you get one back. The same goes for officers that refuse to admit they were wrong. It doesn't hurt to go "Okay, sorry I was in the wrong" and guess what? It makes everything easier in the long run. 

Closing notes:
That is all for this guide, if you have any questions feel free to either comment below or leave a message in my inbox. I will try to answer to the best of my ability but please don't expect a textbook answer with references and a small novel.
Nice Guide.
Good job! ?

I'm sure it will help the One or another player to improve his Police RP
Technically, the Police Sgt outranks the SWAT Sgt due to the SWAT Team being a piece of the PD. Seeing as the Police Sgt is named the "Police" Sgt, he has control over the whole PD, which includes the SWAT Team.
(Mar 17, 2017, 06:12 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, the Police Sgt outranks the SWAT Sgt due to the SWAT Team being a piece of the PD. Seeing as the Police Sgt is named the "Police" Sgt, he has control over the whole PD, which includes the SWAT Team.
Pretty sure their was a huge commotion over this and it was decided that they just say their separate ways, with one having no power over the other unless in a raid.

OT: Nice guide.
(Mar 17, 2017, 06:32 PM)PaulB Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 17, 2017, 06:12 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, the Police Sgt outranks the SWAT Sgt due to the SWAT Team being a piece of the PD. Seeing as the Police Sgt is named the "Police" Sgt, he has control over the whole PD, which includes the SWAT Team.
Pretty sure their was a huge commotion over this and it was decided that they just say their separate ways, with one having no power over the other unless in a raid.

OT: Nice guide.

It was and SWAT does have some power over lower ranked officers when they are called (Seeing as the team has its own Sgt) , but Police Sgt has higher authority in all scenarios seeing as he runs the whole PD. He doesn't specifically give orders to the SWAT Team, but it's expected that the orders follow the CoC.
Also, what is wrong with that: "It has also been noted in another guide that Police tend to assign themselves ranks such as "Captain". This is silly and please don't do it. "
(Mar 18, 2017, 07:58 AM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Also, what is wrong with that: "It has also been noted in another guide that Police tend to assign themselves ranks such as "Captain". This is silly and please don't do it. "

This.

If I want to make myself Lieutenant or Captain to make a few officers Sergeant, why can't I?

Apex

(Mar 18, 2017, 07:58 AM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Also, what is wrong with that: "It has also been noted in another guide that Police tend to assign themselves ranks such as "Captain". This is silly and please don't do it. "

Because calling yourself "Captain" and then having nothing in relation to your RP that Captain would have to do is pretty silly.

Lieutenant is a different matter but can also follow the same logic, if you are going to be an officer of higher rank (Such as Captain) then realistically you should never leave the nexus unless it is for political reasons or a large scale incident. I just can't imagine that happening with the kind of people that play limelight.
(Mar 18, 2017, 03:05 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]

Because calling yourself "Captain" and then having nothing in relation to your RP that Captain would have to do is pretty silly.

Lieutenant is a different matter but can also follow the same logic, if you are going to be an officer of higher rank (Such as Captain) then realistically you should never leave the nexus unless it is for political reasons or a large scale incident. I just can't imagine that happening with the kind of people that play limelight.

I would rather you try to emphasize why instead of just saying don't do it. Some players enjoy Passive RP as police officer and don't mind doing a little paperwork. Saying don't do it just discourages players to do some interesting RP's.

Apex

(Mar 18, 2017, 09:12 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]

I would rather you try to emphasize why instead of just saying don't do it. Some players enjoy Passive RP as police officer and don't mind doing a little paperwork. Saying don't do it just discourages players to do some interesting RP's.

You can do paperwork as Sergeant, I just don't understand the point of diluting the rank structure to the point that there are two Sergeants, one Officer and a Captain.
(Mar 19, 2017, 01:05 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]

You can do paperwork as Sergeant, I just don't understand the point of diluting the rank structure to the point that there are two Sergeants, one Officer and a Captain.

The reason of adding a ranking system is simple,supervising daily work of police officer.Citizen have the right to call in supervisor if they wish to.Think of if you are the only supervisory officer(Which refers to sgt. or higher) you will busy in going to different call out at the same time which make your job messy.An other reason is that,if you are dead in a large scale of incident or raid,the police will went out of control just like the terrorist did.Then the Highest rank officer on site can take over the situation and continuous instead of going out of control and being eliminated.

Apex

(Mar 19, 2017, 02:55 PM)alan245 Wrote: [ -> ]

The reason of adding a ranking system is simple,supervising daily work of police officer.Citizen have the right to call in supervisor if they wish to.Think of if you are the only supervisory officer(Which refers to sgt. or higher) you will busy in going to different call out at the same time which make your job messy.An other reason is that,if you are dead in a large scale of incident or raid,the police will went out of control just like the terrorist did.Then the Highest rank officer on site can take over the situation and continuous instead of going out of control and being eliminated.
Okay, but surely that exact system could work with the three tier model.
(Mar 19, 2017, 03:03 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 18, 2017, 03:05 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]Because calling yourself "Captain" and then having nothing in relation to your RP that Captain would have to do is pretty silly.

a six tier will be much more better.
Captain
 Lieutenant
  Sergeant
   Corporal
    Senior officer
     Police Officer

Why?It is because you as the Captain you'd like to keep work away from you and get salary by seating in your office,so the Sgt. and Lt. will do the request for you.If the suspect didn't satisfy the explanation given by Sgt. he still have the right to supervisor which will be Lt. Next then the highest - Captain.

All these can enchant policeRP because that how our police force are currently but with more complicated structure.Why?They want to get the officer who have a lot of idea within the police department and strategies in raids so to make police department great.Although this is a guild,you should not put what you think in it and limit others roleplay,you are here to give advice but not telling him what to do and what not to do.

When you get on the busy days as Sgt. you will understand why you need a ranking system and what for.You will learn by time.

Apex

(Mar 19, 2017, 05:05 PM)alan245 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 18, 2017, 09:12 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]I would rather you try to emphasize why instead of just saying don't do it. Some players enjoy Passive RP as police officer and don't mind doing a little paperwork. Saying don't do it just discourages players to do some interesting RP's.

Captain
 Lieutenant
  Sergeant
   Corporal
    Senior officer
     Police Officer

Why?It is because you as the Captain you'd like to keep work away from you and get salary by seating in your office,so the Sgt. and Lt. will do the request for you.If the suspect didn't satisfy the explanation given by Sgt. he still have the right to supervisor which will be Lt. Next then the highest - Captain.

All these can enchant policeRP because that how our police force are currently but with more complicated structure.Why?They want to get the officer who have a lot of idea within the police department and strategies in raids so to make police department great.Although this is a guild,you should not put what you think in it and limit others roleplay,you are here to give advice but not telling him what to do and what not to do.

When you get on the busy days as Sgt. you will understand why you need a ranking system and what for.You will learn by time.

I've been on as Sgt during the busy days. It's really not a massive task. Just assign two people who have clear understand of the role and can be responsible and assign them the rank of Corporal. Give them tasks as they come in and handle it so forth. 

Also it's unlikely you will ever have more than 6 officers, even during the busy days so having a six tier system just makes things overly complicated and as previously stated dilutes the rank structure. Realistically you should be reinforcing independence with officers to handle their own cases and manage their own duties; only stepping in when it becomes an issue or there are unusual circumstances.

And no Captain could just shift work and get away with it. They have clear and set responsibilities they have to meet; if they don't meet those they get made either redundant or fired.
(Mar 19, 2017, 05:12 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 19, 2017, 05:05 PM)alan245 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 19, 2017, 01:05 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]You can do paperwork as Sergeant, I just don't understand the point of diluting the rank structure to the point that there are two Sergeants, one Officer and a Captain.

Captain
 Lieutenant
  Sergeant
   Corporal
    Senior officer
     Police Officer

I've been on as Sgt during the busy days. It's really not a massive task. Just assign two people who have clear understand of the role and can be responsible and assign them the rank of Corporal. Give them tasks as they come in and handle it so forth. 

Also it's unlikely you will ever have more than 6 officers, even during the busy days so having a six tier system just makes things overly complicated and as previously stated dilutes the rank structure. Realistically you should be reinforcing independence with officers to handle their own cases and manage their own duties; only stepping in when it becomes an issue or there are unusual circumstances.

And no Captain could just shift work and get away with it. They have clear and set responsibilities they have to meet; if they don't meet those they get made either redundant or fired.

No matter what you think about the ranking system.It is all personal prefernce you shouldn't say

Quote:"It has also been noted in another guide that Police tend to assign themselves ranks such as "Captain". This is silly and please don't do it. "
This only limit their thinking just like China did,don't be selfish and allow others to make a decision on having a ranking system or not,just don't limit others.
Pages: 1 2