Limelight Forums

Full Version: Add more Less-Lethal Weapons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Suggestion for <in-game/forum/teamspeak etc.>: Ingame

In detail, explain your suggestion: Add more Less Lethal options for use in the server.

1a) X12 Shotgun with TASER XREP rounds
The X12 is a specially designed Mossberg shotgun that can only fire Less Lethal rounds. These rounds are basically just mini wireless TASERs fired from the shotgun for situations where the standard TASER is out of range. Ingame it should work similar to a TASER, but with 1 chance to hit before reloading instead of the current cross between a cartridge and a stun gun.

1b) Shotgun Bean Bag Rounds
Bean bags fired from a shotgun. They hurt like hell but don't do much lasting damage, at least when compared to a bullet. They are often fired from dedicated shotguns with special markings to designate that it has Less Lethal rounds in it, so Officers can tell at a glance which weapon kills, and which one just incapacitates.
Getting a decently realistic version of this ingame could be difficult, but a possible idea is to have each bean bag round do 5-10 health damage, a large amount of stamina damage (like 2 or 3 shots would remove all stamina), and have a small chance to knockout very briefly (like ragdoll for 1second max), with that chance growing if the target has low/no stamina.

Southland was a Police drama that received praise for its accurate portrayal of Police, and their use of equipment, including praise from TASER International for a scene that showed appropriate use of a TASER instead of lethal force. This scene shows them using a beanbag round fired from a dedicated less lethal shotgun to subdue a knife wielding suspect.

2) Pepperball Gun
Pepperball Guns are basically paintball guns, but instead of paint, the balls are filled with a powder that acts similar to pepperspray when it is dispersed as the ball impacts something. This creates a small cloud which affects those who are in the area or enter the area shortly afterwards. It's effects include closing of the eyes, coughing, runny nose, and difficulty breathing.

Ingame I could see each projectile creating a small, short lived (5-10 seconds) cloud that affects all who enter the cloud by blurring their vision, reducing stamina, and slowing stamina regeneration. I figure the effects should grow the longer someone is 'breathing' it, and should take a few minutes to go away on their own, with the exception of losing stamina, which should be a constant, but small, loss while in the cloud. Gas Mask suits should block out the affect, but only if equipped prior to deployment. If equipped while being affected, the inside of the suit would end up contaminated and useless. I see these as the most appropriate simulation of the real life effects.

3) SWAT Only: 40mm Grenade Launcher with Tear Gas and Baton Rounds.
A 37mm or 40mm grenade launcher, such as the M-32, can fire a wide variety of rounds. Tear Gas and Baton Rounds (AKA Rubber Bullets) are commonly fired from these for crowd control or other situations. Just this Sunday, my Police Department was involved in an 8+ hour standoff with a barricaded suspect. Eventually SWAT deployed their M-32 and fired tear gas rounds into the house, and the suspect exited and surrendered.

Ingame, the Tear Gas grenades should be beefed-up versions of the pepperballs, with a much wider area, and a longer lasting cloud (same or slightly stronger affects, though). The Baton Rounds should work like stronger versions of the bean bags, doing more damage and with a high chance to knock out.

1a and 1b are extremely similar, and therefore are rarely both used by the same agency. I prefer 1a because it looks cool, but included 1b in case people prefer it more. 

Why should this be implemented? Right now there is approximately 1 and a half Less Lethal options. The TASER is obviously one, and the baton is kind of an option, but not a very good one because of the low knock out chance. Adding these would allow for more realistic takedowns of criminals, and reduce Officer Death/Injury, while also adding a unique aspect to Law Enforcement not found on other servers.
(Feb 28, 2017, 04:18 PM)ICEKILLER_99 Wrote: [ -> ]https://limelightgaming.net/forums/threa...ght=rubber

My suggestion does overlap slightly with your suggestion, but involves more options for Less Lethal and is significantly different, enough so that I feel a seperate suggestion is warranted.
+Support
+Support

Take S.W.A.T 4 as a example of this.
[Image: MhNnfml.jpg]
All what I am saying.
+Support

I think that we should add more weapons that doesn't kill you instantly.
+Support

Yes please.
+ Support
BUT:
- Make bean-bag rounds a shotgun modification instead of a different weapon, and allow them also for civilians.
- The taser shotgun should have a full 6-round clip, be restricted to 1-2 government reps and be able to drain all the opponent's stamina and immobilise him for at least double the time of a taser. Also be ineffective against armour.
- The baton gun should lower the target's health by 50%.
- All projectiles should disarm the target.
I need to recast my vote, wrong button pressed.
+Support
(Feb 28, 2017, 05:43 PM)francysol3c Wrote: [ -> ]+ Support
BUT:
- Make bean-bag rounds a shotgun modification instead of a different weapon, and allow them also for civilians.
I am fine with this being offered to civilians, but Police NEED to have a dedicated weapon for Less Lethal rounds. Less Lethal weapons have identifying colors (like yellow on TASERs, the green shotgun in the Southland clip, sometimes it's just an orange strap)

- The taser shotgun should have a full 6-round clip, be restricted to 1-2 government reps and be able to drain all the opponent's stamina and immobilise him for at least double the time of a taser. Also be ineffective against armour.
Further reading has led me to realize that they have discontinued production of both the X12 and the XREP 12 gauage rounds, so I will be striking that out.
I can get behind this, those things are YUUUUUGE.
Not so sure about this one. Maybe add a CHANCE to disarm them (like the chance to knockout briefly I mentioned with beanbags, it'd have a similar effect), but not a guarantee. Maybe also add in the chance for the subject to accidentally pull the trigger when he's hit (if the gun isn't in safe mode) because that is a very real concern.
+1 Supportatini and meatballs
(Feb 28, 2017, 06:51 PM)Stomm Wrote: [ -> ]
BUT:
I am fine with this being offered to civilians, but Police NEED to have a dedicated weapon for Less Lethal rounds. Less Lethal weapons have identifying colors (like yellow on TASERs, the green shotgun in the Southland clip, sometimes it's just an orange strap)

Further reading has led me to realize that they have discontinued production of both the X12 and the XREP 12 gauage rounds, so I will be striking that out.
It should also knock them out. I could possibly find a video about how it knocks you down to the ground so possibly get knocked out for  2-5 seconds?

Not so sure about this one. Maybe add a CHANCE to disarm them (like the chance to knockout briefly I mentioned with beanbags, it'd have a similar effect), but not a guarantee. Maybe also add in the chance for the subject to accidentally pull the trigger when he's hit (if the gun isn't in safe mode) because that is a very real concern.
(Mar 1, 2017, 12:37 AM)Stell90 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 28, 2017, 06:51 PM)Stomm Wrote: [ -> ]
BUT:

It should also knock them out. I could possibly find a video about how it knocks you down to the ground so possibly get knocked out for  2-5 seconds?

Maybe have a "Shock" meter such in dayz, giving you impaired movement and vision, and when it fills up knocks you out?
Pages: 1 2