Limelight Forums

Full Version: Saiye's Rant on Trigger-Happy Police
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Before I start, I want to say that anything and everything you read in this post is entirely in my opinion, and if you don't agree with it then feel free to post something in the comments but that would be your opinion, and I hope that everyone can respect each other for their opinions.

The Police Department on this server is (in my opinion) horribly trigger happy. I've found this ever since I've been doing more aggressive RP, but I can understand why you'd 'Oh, you're doing aggressive RP so the Police have a reason to be aggressive towards you'. This is true, yes, but when I run a red light at 30 MPH in my RV outside of the city past a Police Officer, the first thing he does is pull out his pistol and start shooting at me. Usually, I would utilise the radar gun and scan the vehicle, making a warrant for it, then request via the radio that all units BOLO (be on look-out) for the subject vehicle. This is so that when I pass the car, the automatic camera tells me that the car is wanted for passing a red light, or whatever law they broke in the car.

Okay, I can agree that when you're in a pursuit and you're being chased by the Police inside the city that they have a reason to shoot at you. Understood. But when it's a) outside the city, and b) not even 30 seconds into the pursuit, the Police have close to no reason to shoot at you. If you've been getting chased for the past 5 minutes and you've already caused 2 Police cars to crash and explode, then yes, shoot at me, but when I'm driving an RV that can drive at 30 MPH tops and it's 2 minutes into the pursuit, please try to actually pull me over, 'pit' my vehicle, call for backup and set up intercepting blockades.

I've seen some really decent RP where I've been driving past the Corleone district and approaching the Corleone tunnel, to find two cop cars at the end of the tunnel waiting for me, and the police cars behind me actually trap me in the tunnel. This is an example of some really good organisation from the Police, and allow you to just enjoy the RP more, instead of driving out of the city at 30 MPH in an RV and getting shot by the Police. There have been so many times where I've been killed because I was getting shot at, and it's stupid at this point. You might find me to be whining about the Police at this point and say 'Well you shouldn't be breaking the law' or 'Well you shouldn't be speeding around and causing danger to the lives of others'. Yes, that's completely understood however the problem arises when it becomes unrealistic. The Police, whether it be in America, the UK, or Europe, will not shoot at your car if you've been in pursuit for 60 seconds. The UK police don't even have firearms, and I'm sure many other countries don't issue their Police firearms either because it means putting a firearm in the hands of a trigger-happy psycho who can't tell the difference between a murder and a simple run-of-a red light.

TLDR - Police, stop shooting at people unless they're a danger and haven't been in pursuit for longer than 3-5 minutes. If I've caused Police cars to crash and explode, then you can start shooting, but to kill somebody who has only ran a red light is ludicrous.
+support

ikr
they're trigger happy as fuck today especially
+ support
I have to say, though, I've encountered many situations in which officers had to use lethal force during a pursuit.
For example: A subject seemingly stopping and my fellow officers getting out of their car to apprehend them; then having them drive off (or reverse) in the direction of civilians, vehicles or even the fellow officers. At that point, a suspicion of the subject using their vehicle as a weapon will rise; and the officer (in real life, too) would have permission to end the threat. (Vehicular assault/manslaughter|homicide upon sight is often met with lethal force).

Now keep in mind there's still a difference between engaging in lethal action towards a vehicle in real life (in which glass will shatter and metal parts will be ripped by bullets) and in-game (in which the bullets go straight into the person and kills them nearly instantly).

All I am trying to say is that if I would be in a pursuit with a subject that seems to stop (or doesn't stop) and goes into the direction of other civilians, vehicles or LEOs, bringing their lives in danger, I will use lethal means or at least stop the threat from happening.

Mostly it's up to the subject's choices in a pursuit to decide what fate his/her life will have.

( Not to forget, some LEOs do need some additional training in when (and how) to use lethal force and engage in pursuits. Fair enough. ).
(Sep 25, 2016, 07:04 PM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]I have to say, though, I've encountered many situations in which officers had to use lethal force during a pursuit.
For example: A subject seemingly stopping and my fellow officers getting out of their car to apprehend them; then having them drive off (or reverse) in the direction of civilians, vehicles or even the fellow officers. At that point, a suspicion of the subject using their vehicle as a weapon will rise; and the officer (in real life, too) would have permission to end the threat. (Vehicular assault/manslaughter|homicide upon sight is often met with lethal force).

Now keep in mind there's still a difference between engaging in lethal action towards a vehicle in real life (in which glass will shatter and metal parts will be ripped by bullets) and in-game (in which the bullets go straight into the person and kills them nearly instantly).

All I am trying to say is that if I would be in a pursuit with a subject that seems to stop (or doesn't stop) and goes into the direction of other civilians, vehicles or LEOs, bringing their lives in danger, I will use lethal means or at least stop the threat from happening.

Mostly it's up to the subject's choices in a pursuit to decide what fate his/her life will have.

( Not to forget, some LEOs do need some additional training in when (and how) to use lethal force and engage in pursuits. Fair enough. ).

As said in the rant, I agree with the fact that when you're putting other's lives in danger, then that warrants the Police officers to start shooting, but when the only thing you've done is run a red light or drive on the wrong side of the road, Police will start shooting at you anyway and it's getting to a point where it's Fail RP.
(Sep 25, 2016, 07:04 PM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]A subject seemingly stopping and my fellow officers getting out of their car to apprehend them; then having them drive off (or reverse) in the direction of civilians, vehicles or even the fellow officers. At that point, a suspicion of the subject using their vehicle as a weapon will rise;

Try typing guy in an RV is trynna CDM me >:(
fuck the police
(Sep 25, 2016, 08:15 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 25, 2016, 07:04 PM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]A subject seemingly stopping and my fellow officers getting out of their car to apprehend them; then having them drive off (or reverse) in the direction of civilians, vehicles or even the fellow officers. At that point, a suspicion of the subject using their vehicle as a weapon will rise;

Try typing guy in an RV is trynna CDM me >Sad

Not sure what you're trying to get at? I didn't mention a RV or CDM anywhere in my response.

(Sep 25, 2016, 08:58 PM)thefaketaco Wrote: [ -> ]fuck the police

I don't see how both of your replies add anything useful to the discussion of this problem.

I'd say we keep it on-topic and focussed on the issue of officers discharging their firearms unnecessarily or too soon.
(Sep 25, 2016, 10:16 PM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure what you're trying to get at? I didn't  mention a RV or CDM anywhere in my response.

I don't see how both of your replies add anything useful to the discussion of this problem.

I'd say we keep it on-topic and focussed on the issue of officers discharging their firearms unnecessarily or too soon.

You stated how the person you would be persueing tries to use his vehicle as a weapon, in which case you can just call an admin.
One of the issues with cops resorting to weapons is that the Spike strip is REP restricted, so makes it few and far between for officers, and then can be restricted more where officers choose to take a first aid kit and smoke grenade instead of a spike strip.
If the spike strip was more readily available and not requiring a REP you'd most likely see less cars getting shot to shit in an attempt to get them to stop.

The issue is there is only a few ways to stop a vehicle. Spike strips will slow down everything, Guns will be effective on all but bulletproof vehicles (So excludes SWAT van and Limo) but creating roadblocks can sometimes be futile because cars are able to plow through *cough* RV. Cops want it over and done with quickly.
(Sep 25, 2016, 11:24 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 25, 2016, 10:16 PM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure what you're trying to get at? I didn't  mention a RV or CDM anywhere in my response.

You stated how the person you would be persueing tries to use his vehicle as a weapon, in which case you can just call an admin.

It's not literally having a subject use their vehicle as a weapon; it's classified as doing so when the subject is ramming the pursuing vehicles/objects during the pursuit.

Not only that, but the example given was set in a real life situation, too, in which a subject doing this action would most likely not get out of it alive.

That's all I have to say on that. Let's return back to the issue of officers using their firearms in a wrong way.
If I shot you, you did something to deserve it.
(Sep 25, 2016, 11:31 PM)evilmat360 Wrote: [ -> ]Cops want it over and done with quickly.

This is the problem, though. They want it over and done quickly but that's not great for RP and just becomes an annoyance for the person driving the car, since they now have to wait 10 minutes to get their car back all because of some cop who couldn't keep his finger away from the trigger. It's so much more fun when you're surrounded by Police and they all get you out of the car and arrest you and do the RP properly, as opposed to running a red light, being shot at and dying instantly.
I agree with you, and I find the problem with police on this server is more than just willing to shoot people. Most cops on this server don't actually care about justice and just want the power and authority that comes with being a police officer. One example is that a while ago I was playing and I saw a guy misclick and accidentally fire his weapon, and pretty soon cops were all over him. In my opinion since his weapon fired as a result of a misclick it shouldn't have been considered part of RP and should be disregarded. I argued this to the cops that showed up but they arrested him anyway. Like fucking hell all these guys want is to exert their power over other people, and for some reason it's fun to put someone in jail for 15 minutes even though they didn't actually do anything wrong. I'm sure many other people have experiences of cops using excessive power and abusing their authority. I'm fine with cops that are actually just, but most of them aren't.

It just seems that most cops have little to no respect for the people they're policing.
(Sep 26, 2016, 12:49 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you, and I find the problem with police on this server is more than just willing to shoot people. Most cops on this server don't actually care about justice and just want the power and authority that comes with being a police officer. One example is that a while ago I was playing and I saw a guy misclick and accidentally fire his weapon, and pretty soon cops were all over him. In my opinion since his weapon fired as a result of a misclick it shouldn't have been considered part of RP and should be disregarded. I argued this to the cops that showed up but they arrested him anyway. Like fucking hell all these guys want is to exert their power over other people, and for some reason it's fun to put someone in jail for 15 minutes even though they didn't actually do anything wrong. I'm sure many other people have experiences of cops using excessive power and abusing their authority. I'm fine with cops that are actually just, but most of them aren't.

I completely agree. There's a lot of study going into having power over people, and a quick Google search of 'Psychology of having power over people' can tell you a lot about this. Police Officers on the server know that since they start with a gun, a taser, a pair of handcuffs and the ability to bore somebody for 15 minutes in a cell, they are automatically more powerful and authoritative than the rest of us, which in an RP perspective is true, they do have more power over us, but when you put this kind of power into the hands of those who like to abuse it, it is then that it becomes an issue. An example of how the Government don't care about jailing us and arresting us is how the President accepts warrants. There have been so many times when I've said in a warrant reason "5 years please" and the President has accepted it for 15 years blindly without even reading my request. Same thing more serious crimes. If I'm arresting somebody who just shot up the Lake and I say "15 years please" in the warrant reason, most Presidents won't pay attention to it and just accept it for 5 minutes because they don't care about reasoning or any kind of logic when it comes to sentencing.

TLDR: Police have power and they abuse it. Psychology. Google it.
Pages: 1 2 3