Limelight Forums

Full Version: CityRP Standalone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
My idea is basically astandalone CityRP game that would be Free-To-Play with the same donation system as before so that our beautiful dev team wouldn't become broke. Now hear me out, I know that this is a huge project that could take a lot of time, even years to make, but I believe that we should first take a look at what a standalone game could bring to the table.

Firstly, due to the new engine (Source 2?) we could remove or atleast increase the current proplimit thus far enhancing player-made RP's.

Secondly, we could make bigger maps. As most of you know, the Source engine is good for certain things, such as making square roads and hallways, buildings, but not very good at things like foliage, render distance and big maps. Just think about CityRP on the scale of GTA 5 or the like. This could not only mean longer and wider, but higher maps with open skies, enabling a large variety of both private and governmental helicopters and jets. Also, parachuting!

Thirdly, the overall in-game customization would be expanded to the level of GTA 5.
Just think about pimping your car or your own character without the need of robust Garry's Mod addons and with the help of more sophisticated tools.

Also, people like me who love eye-candy like the ones you see in Uncharted 4 should not forget about the graphical improvement that would come with a new engine. High-resolution characters, vehicles with reflections, dynamic lighting, weather effects, dense vegetation, better animations and the list goes on and on. Source is a turstworthy, but very old engine and each time the development team adds new animation it feels like when people pimp their 40-year-old cars in order to make it sound and look good. It might look good on the outside but is full of holes on the inside.

What's more, think about what players could achieve if we only expanded the available tools, such as lights (much requested).

Let's not forget about the increased slots and better server performance due to a better and far more optimized game engine, which could also allow for a custom HUD as well as GUI and custom scripts made by our talented development team.

As well as better vehicle customization, we could also add better implemented weapons with a far-more complex customization system and world models.

And these are only a few of the examples of what we could achieve with our own, personalized game. It would not only be prettier and more modern, but would also help our devs with a better programming interface.

This would only be a side project so the servers wouldn't disappear and leave you stranded until the game is finished. I think we should have a seperate team working on the game while the others could dedicate their time to CityRP (gamemode).

I didn't post this in suggestions as I think that this is bigger than anything ever presented in the history of CityRP and something that everyone playing CityRP need to have a word in.

Thank you for reading and I'm waiting for the input of all you beautiful people.

Edit:
Example that projects like this can be achieved and even overachieved:
Tower Unite (Gmod Tower) on Indiegogo

We could add a fourth option for "Standalone Game Development" to the donations page.
2Good2BeTrue

OT: It would require a lot of effort, but it is a great idea. However, what would happen to those who bought the game but broke the rules and got banned from the GAME?
Sounds great but I don't think we have the funds to get this developed.
(May 15, 2016, 07:25 PM)Lunatik Wrote: [ -> ]2Good2BeTrue

OT: It would require a lot of effort, but it is a great idea. However, what would happen to those who bought the game but broke the rules and got banned from the GAME?

He said it would be F2P mate.

Great idea but I agree with Lunatik about it requiring a lot of effort. It would be great, but exhausting for the development.
(May 15, 2016, 07:31 PM)Maniac Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds great but I don't think we have the funds to get this developed.

I think if we hype it up in the current servers and follow the road that GMod Tower took, so making a Kickstarter page stating that
the team is already experienced, we could achieve whatever we dream of.
A lot of players would fund it I believe as we currently have about 100 of people who left the gamemode because it was boring.
Those people could be easily lured back with the promise of new and fresh ideas.
Its a great idea, but it wouldnt work. Its way out of reach
As you guys can see, a lot of people said that it is a great idea, meaning that they would support it and even fund it if possible.
I believe that we have such a strong community that nothing is impossible or out of reach for us.
U barrely havê time to do scripts for the cityrp , making new game its for big companys , here we are just amateurs
It's a great idea and it would open up a lot of restrictions that lua creates so a lot more can be added and only your imagination would be the limit. Problem is the devs would need to learn to do some things such as possibly learning a new language, learning to create new player models, creating a whole new map which would take loads of time. It would also require a lot of people's dedication, possibly a new dev team and a lot of money. A gaming engine is almost needed because coding a game from scratch isn't exactly fun. For a good one it can be expensive and for the free ones they have their limits and usually require that you pay or advertise them. There are some good engines out there tho such as Unity which is free however like I said that has its limitations. Most engines use C or C++ and sometimes that can get overwhelming. I mean if it happened I would support it and maybe even help them if they needed a dev; however, I think its a bit far fetched.
(May 15, 2016, 07:39 PM)The Rock Wrote: [ -> ]U barrely havê time to do scripts for the cityrp , making new game its for big companys , here we are just amateurs

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tower-unite#/
We could add a fourth option for "Standalone Game Development" to the donations page.
(May 15, 2016, 07:52 PM)Chocolate Labrador Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 15, 2016, 07:41 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 15, 2016, 07:39 PM)The Rock Wrote: [ -> ]U barrely havê time to do scripts for the cityrp , making new game its for big companys , here we are just amateurs

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tower-unite#/

FYI they had 3-4 years to develop it.

We do as well.
I am experienced in Lua, not C# or C++

Let me just learn a new language and its interface, a long with source 2 and everything while having school and developing for gmod cityrp since we are two devs here...

No.
(May 15, 2016, 08:03 PM)Voluptious Wrote: [ -> ]I am experienced in Lua, not C# or C++

Let me just learn a new language and its interface, a long with source 2 and everything while having school and developing for gmod cityrp since we are two devs here...

No.

A lot of devs would be interested in a project like this I'm sure. A lot of new devs. Even if we fail the funding we will be left with a bigger community and possibly more devs interested in joining the team.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5