Limelight Forums

Full Version: Your Roleplay Style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To start off, I suck at building dupes on Limelight, my building skill is comparable to bob the builder in his later years when he lost
his job and eventually submitted to working as a Janitor at a high school. I'm getting off topic, the point is this lack of skill in building has always forced me to improvise with what I had, which was the ability to use /job, an odd suit and a weird voice, name and description.
My roleplays usually emphasize the characters rather than the dupe or type of roleplay. For example you might see me running about as
a crazed mountain hippie or mad scientist attempting to find the cure to toenail fungus. And personally I find it way more fun and interesting for me to do these roleplays rather than sit inside of a shop and type /me smiles and hands the man his cheeseburger every
five seconds. 

I love creativity and Limelight is a great canvas to splatter on, granted my characters might be cited by some as edgy but that's sort of
what you get when you try to be a 'mad scientist attempting frantically to cure toenail fungus' the point is I get fun out of it, and it keeps me interested which to me is the most important part.

The point of this thread is a question, what type of roleplay style do you follow? Explain it.

An alternate question is What do you think of Improvised Roleplay?
Improvised roleplay is sucked out of nowhere and taken to action without any preparations. Don't need awesome builds or anything solid to it. You just roleplay some kind of charachter your pulled out of your head. As I do I sometimes start acting like a mad man. going around city doing all kinds of crazy stuff.
God, i remember back in the day i would get the security guards CSS terrorist skin, and act as Huan the janitor in the nexus, no one would ask me for IDs, if i was supposed to be there, i just mopped the floors in the spur of the moment and cleaned up the blood after a failed or successfull raid.

Impromptu RPs can be some of the funnest and funniest
Literally whatever I get pulled into, I improvise. It can be when I'm a cop as I normally am, or when I'm doing something as civ class. No real method to it, I just react how I would react if the same thing happened to me in real life really.
I enjoy myself more often if I'm not doing a super-serious RP. Don't get me wrong, I really like serious-RP but it can get a bit tiresome after doing it for a long period of time. I find it 10x more funny If I'm a doctor with a horrible german accent who's promoting prostate checkups as well as dodgy procedures instead of me just sitting there producing loads of things from the pharmaceuticals .

I think that improvised roleplay is some of the most fun you can have on the server. Just being a bit open-minded and friendly has gotten me into a lot of hilarious and funny situations. I think sometimes that people can be a bit too serious and it can cause a hostile environment. It's important that people have fun (Note: without just failRPing and minging though).

I think that people will have more fun if they don't just exclude people they don't know. People tend to hang around with their own close friends and just reject other people from casual roleplay which is a shame. Roleplay is all about involving oneself with other people and interacting with eachother. If you're not going to interact with other people you don't know then what's the point of roleplaying?

With over 3000 hours on GMOD, I've more or less tried every RP there is. A lot of clanRP, CopRP, MafiaRP etc, but I really have had a lot of fun doing things I normally wouldn't do.
A week back or so, I went paramedic (a job I really never go) and I really haven't had that much fun in ages. I ended up being a Paramedic for 6 hours straight and it was just loads of fun. The government was great, people were open and friendly and there wasn't any bickering and arguing. AggressiveRP is fun, but I think that passiveRP has it's own charm. It just allows you to deal with people in a way that you otherwise wouldn't deal with them. AggressiveRP often causes people to become hostile and salty towards eachother because money and equipment is usually lost.

What I really like about you Dig is that you're just very friendly and chill. There's no hostility or anything. I remember that I went President recently which I haven't been for over a year and it was awesome. I was just a normal President managing the city and then this fucking hippie just comes to visit me (you) and instead of just throwing you out like I normally would, I would interact with you in my office. You ended up becoming my "doctor" as I told my Secret Service and we met a few times to drink beer and smoke some "Elvis Hair" on the beach. I'd visit Soviet who was a proper doctor who helped me with a "personal medical issue" and I got to visit so many people roleplays just because I didn't end up sitting in my office farming taxes and doing warrants. (Note: This doesn't mean that you can just walk around as a President. It's extremely important that you do your job and actually act like you're supposed to. As long as you don't failRP and just minge around then you really can have a lot of fun). It was great fun, it wasn't a standard type of Presidental roleplay but it was fun. The SS also got to do something else than sitting in the City Hall for several hours. 

I think that roleplay only becomes as interesting as you make it yourself. By pushing away players you miss out on a whole load of unique roleplay that you otherwise wouldn't get to take a part of. 

I both enjoy seriousRP and casualRP. I just think that everyone would end up having more fun and with less hostility if people would stop acting like assholes ingame. I've had my fair share of being an asshole IC and it's loads of fun but you really end up doing your own thing without much interaction from other players.

I think that improvising is extremely important when it comes to roleplay. This is why we the staff try to promote people dealing with situations IC instead of constantly involving staff-members when they don't like the outcome of a situation. A lot of IC situations are ruined because players choose to just involve staff when small issues arise when they can be resolved a lot better In Character.
(Mar 11, 2016, 11:42 PM)BlackDog Wrote: [ -> ]God, i remember back in the day i would get the security guards CSS terrorist skin, and act as Huan the janitor in the nexus, no one would ask me for IDs, if i was supposed to be there, i just mopped the floors in the spur of the moment and cleaned up the blood after a failed or successfull raid.

Impromptu RPs can be some of the funnest and funniest

I will be stealing that idea some day.
I really go with the flow of others. I tend to always play as a Fire Chief, roleplaying an often under appreciated role of the government. Fire is not just putting out fire, they are very active on scenes.

Anyhow, depending on how other officers, citizens and other firefighter/medics, I'll play as they play. If they want to roleplay an accident I'll go all out, if they just want to end the scene quickly, I'll do the basics and move along.

I honestly believe that this gamemode is dependent on improvisation. Everyone has their own agenda, it is when they work and flow together that makes it special. You have to improvise and make it special to keep going and have fun for all involved.
Generally police here, I try to act as a fair and just officer (doesn't always work), and I'm that one officer who roleplays everything out I'd say.
I love character RP. Just in general, thinking of a character, developing them, and jumping into whatever Impromptu RP which shows up as that character.

From a sleep-deprived Mexican mother to an over-enthusiastic Secretary, I like reacting to RP how my character would.

Also; no idea why, but I really like going full-on realism in RP. Like, buying an apartment, furnishing it, sleeping at night and then driving to work (and my car is parked in the parking lot instead of right outside the apartments for MAXIMUM REALISM), having lunch breaks, closing the shop at 5, etc.
Really menial stuff which is just super satisfying to play with, especially if other people do it too.

I guess I just like playing the filler role. If everyone with the job 'Citizen' did this kind of RP, without ever actually 'starting an RP' the server would be full of RP everywhere. People buttering their toast, or all waiting for the bus, that kinda thing. It's the background noise which gives the city that buzz it needs.

TL : DR - I like RPing as if I'm living in a city, basically.
I'm pretty terrible at building too. I have ideas for businesses and things and then I actually start building it, 2 weeks later (not an exaggeration) and I've got a counter and a couple of tables.

Scripted events are fun, but I always enjoy the random acts of RP that happen, especially when people get involved and you never know what they're going to say or do and you have to react to that. And that's the whole point of roleplay.

And then pretty much everything Safira said above me. I am always drawn to civilian stuff (except HL2, I just can't get into that) and even lead a civilian faction on another server, which i went into with big dreams and ideas (didn't turn out well). I like games like The Sims and sandbox survival games where you have to /live/. A lot of people think that sorta thing is boring, and ask why would you RP real life when you can just go outside, and to me it's not boring at all.

And I love sitting down with people and just chatting and getting to know their char's and getting development for my own. Friendship/Relationship RP is great. You'll never see me as a cop or a member of the mafia or rebels or w/e, because I like slow paced stuff. I hop on paramedic every now and again because I love medRP too but it's s harried and fast that I can't ever really settle into it, and I'd much rather have a doctor character that can treat people without scripts.
I generally play as a Detective of the Police Force, or a civilian.

I enjoy trying to roleplay out the general life of a civilian, or a member of the police force. Most people just come on, buy some random apartment, and farm contra. I try and roleplay how a normal person would,  and in the scenarios of improvised roleplay, I feel that I excel.

My characters aren't superman. They aren't gunslinging badasses who can take 5 shotgun slugs to the gut and still keep chugging along. My civilians go down on their knees after one shot to the kneecap, like all of us would. My Detective doesn't just speed up to the scene and start firing, he tries to evaluate the situation before using brutal force, and if he has to pull out his glock, he's probably shitting his pants because he may die.
When I'm not being a minge...

I love to tell stories whether it be through film, photography, writing or games. So when it comes to Role-playing I like bringing the universe of which the character lives within into perspective. However trying to achieve such goal is difficult with the many limitations and eventually leads more towards improvisation then carefully contrived.