Limelight Forums

Full Version: On ambiguity, grey areas, and unwritten rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen an increasing number of situations in which people have been warned regarding rules that don't actually exist, and situations where people are allowed to do some things by some admins which other admins forbid. There are also unwritten rules, which are often followed by many people but are actually not offical rules.

Unwritten Rules (both enforced and misconceptions)
"If you get shot, FearRP no longer applies". - This is a rule known by most people, but is actually not written anywhere. It is a product of common sense in which you realize that FearRP relies on saving your life. If you get shot, the person is already trying to kill you so you must run to stay alive and not stand still like a moron. However, this common sense is not followed in some other scenarios, for example the recent BR on a SWAT officer who refused to get out of his SWAT van under gunpoint (which is still not closed by the way). It is common sense that he is safer inside his bulletproof van than outside with all the gunmen, however the written rules imply that he must obey the gunmen at all times.

"Criminal isn't a valid job because it's too vague" - This is a new one. Several admins have taken a stance that this is an actual rule, and have been warning people against using "Criminal" as a custom job. Is it written in the rules? Nope. Does this have a valid reason and basis? Yes, because the rules do ask you to specify accurately what you are roleplaying.  However, nobody ever gets warned against keeping "Citizen" as their job, and that is arguably even more vague than Criminal. Also, I am skeptical against setting my job as "Contraband Owner | Car Thief | Mugger" or something even more ridiculous.

"Paramedics can't heal the police during raids" - This isn't a rule. The closest rule to this states that paramedics must stay a safe distance away from any ongoing raid, which means that injured police may retreat a relatively safe distance away from the raid and get healed by a paramedic, before returning to the raid. Thankfully this isn't a problem, I haven't seen anyone get warned or punished for this as long as they actually stay the distance away, just that many players quote the initial statement as a rule.

"Killing that guy because he jumped on your friend's ragdoll is Backseat Administrating" - Someone was actually punished for this. Why can't you kill him in character for murdering your injured friend?

"If you are a large organisation working with the government you must have a warrant to enter a private property" - This is literally the opposite of what rule 9.9 says, yet I've personally been told off by an admin for this. 

Rule grey areas and ambiguity:

2.1a You cannot attack a person who has a gun (or stun gun) pointed at you. 
This rule implies that the first person to shoot during a mexican standoff should be banned for FearRP, which is obviously not the case.

2.1b You cannot draw a weapon when someone has you at gunpoint. 
This rule states that you cannot take out a weapon from your inventory (or an already equipped weapon if you have your hands out or something else), when you have a gun pointed at you. This rule says NOTHING about safety mode (putting the gun by your side while having it out).
Can you draw a gun when someone has their gun by their side, looking at you? No, but the rules don't state it. 
If someone with a gun pointed runs up to a man who has his gun on safety, does the latter get put under FearRP? Debatable, but the rules don't clarify.

8.2 Do not hostage a fireman when they are in your base to extinguish a fire. 
I just want to say that this rule should be changed to include paramedics, and include not just hostaging but also muggings, at all times. Don't know why firemen get the privilege.

Something on custom jobs:

"SWAT cannot patrol" - we all heard this one. Yesterday, however, I saw SWAT with a modified custom job which grants them the ability to patrol. They said admins gave them permission to do so. I am sure players who did that before were warned against it, but that time it was allowed. What changed? If you can do that, why can't the SS do /job CIA Agent (or similar) and go investigate high profile crimes?

Please discuss, express your opinions, maybe tell me how horribly wrong I am, etc.
There are certainly a number of unwritten rules that I do agree should either be added or brought forward into a written form. To much time and energy is wasted on debating these 'gray' rules that each admin, teacher and player has a different idea about. It just leads to confusion, frustration and anger on all sides.

So, although I won't do into each of the rules above, I do agree that they should be brought forward and written down.

[NOTE: If any admin would like me to make a revised draft of the rules, I would be willing to take that on. Just let me know in Steam or PM]

I would like to state one thing, as a full-time firefighter in the game, I can say it is frustrating and an issue to get false calls that lead to hostages. I believe that rule was in place to prevent people from making false fire calls to their base, holding the firefighter hostage and steal from the Fire Engine freely until they get bored and release the Firefighter.

This was an issue that I had many times, and I spent weeks under constant threat. Now, this has gotten much better now with that rule being enforced. I do agree that Paramedics should get the same treatment if they get the call to the site. They are under obligations to answer that call and ensure that everyone on the site is alright.
These subjects should be discussed and agreed upon by the staff team to make one answer to theses questions. However I am sure they have been discussing this. Also what changed is that they had admin permission, allowing them to do so. (Similar to requiring permission for dictator)
(Feb 22, 2016, 01:02 AM)Daley Wrote: [ -> ]These subjects should be discussed and agreed upon by the staff team to make one answer to theses questions. However I am sure they have been discussing this. Also what changed is that they had admin permission, allowing them to do so. (Similar to requiring permission for dictator)
It wasn't really admin permission though, it was more like they clarified it for the future whether they could do it. They continue doing it without obtaining admin permission further (as far as I know), which is different from dictator, where you have to ask for admin permission each time.
(Feb 22, 2016, 01:08 AM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]
(Feb 22, 2016, 01:02 AM)Daley Wrote: [ -> ]These subjects should be discussed and agreed upon by the staff team to make one answer to theses questions. However I am sure they have been discussing this. Also what changed is that they had admin permission, allowing them to do so. (Similar to requiring permission for dictator)
It wasn't really admin permission though, it was more like they clarified it for the future whether they could do it. They continue doing it without obtaining admin permission further (as far as I know), which is different from dictator, where you have to ask for admin permission each time.
Then I get your remark. That is quite odd.
*Waits for Blackdog to post*

I agree, a bunch of this needs to be written down and discussed. I'll fwd this to the proper section.
(Feb 20, 2016, 05:45 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen an increasing number of situations in which people have been warned regarding rules that don't actually exist, and situations where people are allowed to do some things by some admins which other admins forbid. There are also unwritten rules, which are often followed by many people but are actually not offical rules.

Unwritten Rules (both enforced and misconceptions)
"If you get shot, FearRP no longer applies". - This is a rule known by most people, but is actually not written anywhere. It is a product of common sense in which you realize that FearRP relies on saving your life. If you get shot, the person is already trying to kill you so you must run to stay alive and not stand still like a moron. However, this common sense is not followed in some other scenarios, for example the recent BR on a SWAT officer who refused to get out of his SWAT van under gunpoint (which is still not closed by the way). It is common sense that he is safer inside his bulletproof van than outside with all the gunmen, however the written rules imply that he must obey the gunmen at all times. Yes common sense you wont be in fear of your life if they cant shoot you

"Criminal isn't a valid job because it's too vague" - This is a new one. Several admins have taken a stance that this is an actual rule, and have been warning people against using "Criminal" as a custom job. Is it written in the rules? Nope. Does this have a valid reason and basis? Yes, because the rules do ask you to specify accurately what you are roleplaying.  However, nobody ever gets warned against keeping "Citizen" as their job, and that is arguably even more vague than Criminal. Also, I am skeptical against setting my job as "Contraband Owner | Car Thief | Mugger" or something even more ridiculous. this is first i heard of this , there is rule to prevent a job which basically doesnt state anything, eg classified as this got used allot by anyone doing anything. personally i see no issue with criminal as it states the sort of thing your up too altho with out being very specific and lets face it criminal dont tend to have specific jobs

"Paramedics can't heal the police during raids" - This isn't a rule. The closest rule to this states that paramedics must stay a safe distance away from any ongoing raid, which means that injured police may retreat a relatively safe distance away from the raid and get healed by a paramedic, before returning to the raid. Thankfully this isn't a problem, I haven't seen anyone get warned or punished for this as long as they actually stay the distance away, just that many players quote the initial statement as a rule.
yer this is to prevent getting instant healing in middle of gun fight, and also fearRP on paramedics part

"Killing that guy because he jumped on your friend's ragdoll is Backseat Administrating" - Someone was actually punished for this. Why can't you kill him in character for murdering your injured friend? if it was some minge that was clearly breaking rules doing it, proper action would be to call admin, if it was accident well it happens and no need to kill the guy, finally if deliberate as part of RP then its not an admin matter nor backseat 

"If you are a large organisation working with the government you must have a warrant to enter a private property" - This is literally the opposite of what rule 9.9 says, yet I've personally been told off by an admin for this. 
yer this basicly is like FBI etc who will be custom job but working with government, and still require warrant to conduct searches
as an custom job some rules wont apply depending on the RP, but you should always remember you are part of government and as part of that RP have rules in the way you work 

Rule grey areas and ambiguity:

2.1a You cannot attack a person who has a gun (or stun gun) pointed at you. 
This rule implies that the first person to shoot during a mexican standoff should be banned for FearRP, which is obviously not the case.
altho your life is at risk you are at equal terms since you are also armed, the rule is directed at unarmed people

2.1b You cannot draw a weapon when someone has you at gunpoint. 
This rule states that you cannot take out a weapon from your inventory (or an already equipped weapon if you have your hands out or something else), when you have a gun pointed at you. This rule says NOTHING about safety mode (putting the gun by your side while having it out).
Can you draw a gun when someone has their gun by their side, looking at you? No, but the rules don't state it. 
If someone with a gun pointed runs up to a man who has his gun on safety, does the latter get put under FearRP? Debatable, but the rules don't clarify.
yes you dont have gun up and are at a disadvantage, but since you have you gun out and in your hand altho not pointing your reaction is very fast, this is definity something that should be debated

8.2 Do not hostage a fireman when they are in your base to extinguish a fire. 
I just want to say that this rule should be changed to include paramedics, and include not just hostaging but also muggings, at all times. Don't know why firemen get the privilege.
i agree when firemen or paramedics are there to do a job they should be allowed to do it and leave, unless some special reason prevents it

Something on custom jobs:

"SWAT cannot patrol" - we all heard this one. Yesterday, however, I saw SWAT with a modified custom job which grants them the ability to patrol. They said admins gave them permission to do so. I am sure players who did that before were warned against it, but that time it was allowed. What changed? If you can do that, why can't the SS do /job CIA Agent (or similar) and go investigate high profile crimes?
No Swat shouldn't patrol unless special circumstances, altho people shouldn't change jobs from ss to cia for example as its completely different, ss job is to protect the president, so that team should always do that even if they want to use different variation of the job they should always stick to the basics

Please discuss, express your opinions, maybe tell me how horribly wrong I am, etc.