Limelight Forums

Full Version: A-Level or IB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

So the options deadline for me is fast approaching and I realise I have no idea whether or not I want to do A-Level or IB.
I've asked a lot of people already, but what the hell. I need more opinions plox.

So, if you've taken A-Level or IB, or something completely different, just tell us why you did it/what it's like/anything else.

THX

Heart
Unis prefer IB I have heard from multiple sources. If you have the opportunity to do it, do it.
I have no idea how your European system works. If A levels are anything like AP here they count as college credit, and doing well in those classes means less courses to do in college.
(Feb 17, 2016, 03:13 AM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]Unis prefer IB I have heard from multiple sources. If you have the opportunity to do it, do it.

That's interesting, I've heard that Unis (I'm looking at UK only as I want to return there) prefer A Level because it's more familiar to them. Like, two universities may require AAB A-Level qualifications , yet one wants 40 IB points and another wants 34 or something.
I have experience with both(ish) because I'm doing A-levels while most of my past classmates are doing IB (since I moved). I think A-levels are significantly better if you know what you are going to do in the future, while IB is marginally better if you don't.

Reasoning:
If you know what you are going to do, you can pick the 3-4 most relevant subjects for A-Level.
IB gives you some choice but ultimately forces you to do many subjects that may be completely pointless to you. For example, AFAIK you are forced to do English at IB, which is tbh completely pointless at that level for most uni courses. IB also forces you into community service and a long essay, which are great for getting into unis in theory, but in practice you may not necessarily need them (depending on your course, you don't really need community service for anything other than medicine and related)
Compare end grade: For my university of choice and course you'd need 39 IB points or A*AA (A-Level grades) for an offer. The IB score roughly translates to A*AAAAA assuming you get full 2/3 bonus points for the essays and Theory of Knowledge (whatever that is I forgot).
This pretty much means that IB is harder with little benefit assuming you can take 3-4 relevant subjects at A-Level.

Also, Jono, like every single university states on its admissions page that it doesn't prefer IB over A-Level or vice versa.
I'm taking A-Levels, which I am relying on to get into university (as the vast majority do). I've never heard of universities preferring IB or A-Level, if anything I'd imagine they lean towards A-Level or remain neutral on both.

Personally, I have no experience with IB, but if Overlewd is correct in that it takes away some freedom on which subjects you can choose, then I'd advise against it. Since with A-Levels you can choose any 3 subjects available that you want to do. Some people do 4 subjects, but it doesn't give you any advantage for getting into university - even Oxbridge (I've been told they'd just make a standard offer of: A*A*AC).

It all depends on what course you want to apply for at university. I'm looking into a mixture of Natural Science and Physics, so I've taken Maths, Physics and Biology, plus I decided to do an AS in Fur.Maths.

Good luck!
It does give you an advantage, 4 subjects that is. It's often not included in the offer letter, however it prove's ones capability in being bale to take on 4 a-levels. This is actually fairly important if you're going for competitive courses (and eventually competitive jobs) as essentially you need something to make you a better candidate than other applicants. Taking on another a-level is a straight forward way of doing this, opposed to other methods. (e.g notorious work experience at a big name company etc.)

The fact is, if you're aiming for top universities, you'll need to make yourself stand out. You're already a good candidate based on that fact you've lived in more than one country, which is actually a lot of bonus points. If you get the right grades at GCSE level, and the right predicted grades, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get to a top 5 uni, for a competitive course with 'relative ease'. You're potentially one of the best candidates they can get, so use it to your advantage. (Attend open days, lectures, work experience etc ASAP! Even if it's not directly relevant!)
If there's an advantage, it would be very small. To be honest, I've only really heard of 4 or 5 A-Levels if they are 3 Maths A-Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths). I'm doing 3 A Levels (4 AS Levels). I've been researching about Cambridge, the average is around 95% UMS there. I took it upon myself over the Christmas break to teach AS Further maths, and since paid my school (bastards) to sit the exams - but unless I get something amazing in the summer, I doubt I'd take it to A2; rather focusing on my Physics and Biology, plus just reading up on things, which could be far better than trying to do an extra A-Level.

Bar medicine, I'm yet to see any GCSE requirements for universities. Cambridge had always been fond of AS performance, Oxford trust their own admissions tests more so. Recently Cambridge announced the return of admissions tests due to the government "de-coupling" AS and A2. Excellent results and an avid interest in the subject you're applying for is what is needed to at least be given a chance. Wider-readings, enthusiasm as well as good grades. I can see 4 subjects helping with medicine courses, but medicine is another level from pretty much everything else, otherwise 4 A-Levels isn't necessary, nor is it always worth it, one should evaluate the situation.

It goes without saying, it helps if you apply to something you genuinely love and enjoy, so it doesn't really feel like all that much effort!
The advantage isn't small, you're wrong. I know for a fact, as I've been going through the process and speaking to various lecturers regarding it, and each of them have told be to take a 4th a level (If I can handle the workload!). And even if the advantage was small as you claimed, it's much, much needed when there's hairs between you and the next candidate.

GCSE requirements aren't announced openly, but they do exist. For a lot of the top 5-10 universities, each of their course has upwards of 10 applicants per place, much more in certain cases. When each of these applicants have exactly the same grades in the same subjects, it becomes crucial to look at past performance, both including their extra curricula activities and GCSEs. Seriously, if you want to go to oxbridge, you'll need mostly A*s at GCSE, unless you're a very exceptional candidate, and the chances are you're not.
I've consciously taken the choice not to take A2 Further Maths, not because I can't do it, but (as I said before) I want to extend my reading in my relevant field. Hopefully, given the chance, I can show in the admissions tests and the interviews, wherever applicable. I might not be a "very exceptional" candidate.
I got 2A*, 8As and a B at GCSE, truthfully, I underestimated the GCSE public exams and I haven't made the same mistakes I made last year.

You mention extra-curricular activities, the universities don't give a crap about activities that aren't relevant to what you're applying to. I'm not going to repeat what I said in my previous posts, but I am going to focus on developing a deep understand of science that interest me, which an A-Level cannot provide.
(Feb 17, 2016, 09:18 PM)Aviator Wrote: [ -> ]You mention extra-curricular activities, the universities don't give a crap about activities that aren't relevant to what you're applying to. I'm not going to repeat what I said in my previous posts, but I am going to focus on developing a deep understand of science that interest me, which an A-Level cannot provide.

When I say that, I generally mean those which are directly relevant, or ones which raise transferable skills. Things like Duke of Edinburgh reward, general volunteering work, perhaps even placements with a relevant company. Those are the things which universities take into account. They don't (for the most part) give a shit about you were in a chess club or whatever shit. You're right there.

But something you also need to realize, is that extra reading is expected, and not something to set you apart. (Especially for ox-bridge. They have books lists of books they expect you to have read prior to even applying. Science is arguably different as there's a lot left to understand and research into as you've suggested so I'd say my initial hypothesis isn't valid for your subject), but for the majority of subjects, especially those in finance related fields, law, medicine etc,  further reading just isn't going to cut it. If you're passionate and fascinated by the subject you wish to study, which is undoubtedly going to be in a your personal statement, then it suggests you have already done the reading, and isn't something to actually talk about.
We reach an understanding there. I'm doing all I can to try and set myself apart, but I'll have to wait until August to see what my AS results bring, mind you; not long now until the exams!
But yes, finance, law, medicine I can completely understand and I see work experience for those to be very useful, as well as getting the top grades and displaying the enthusiasm and what not.

They expect the wider-reading indeed, but for a science interview, it could be recalled upon to help answer some tricky questions, since if you're hoping to study a subject and university; it makes sense that you'd have gone above and beyond the A-Level "baseline" (also what they expect).

I suppose we argue from different sides of the coin, as each course will have varying requirements, expectations etc.
Yes, I feel like you took what I said earlier a little bit personal, but I can assure you it was not meant as that;

I'm speaking purely from my own experiences, as I know there's a few younger people here whom are ambitious, and I just wanted to give them some tips to get as far ahead as they can. If I did 60% of the things which I mentioned last year, i'd be in a much, much greater position than I am currently in. It's just about making life as easy for yourself as possible. Yes, it is possible to get into oxbridge with say 10Bs, but it's be almost impossible to do so. That's the point i'm really trying to convey, is that of just expanding your opportunities as much as possible. What you want to do now, you may not, and will likely not want to do in 6 months time.
(Feb 17, 2016, 10:05 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I feel like you took what I said earlier a little bit personal, but I can assure you it was not meant as that;

I'm speaking purely from my own experiences, as I know there's a few younger people here whom are ambitious, and I just wanted to give them some tips to get as far ahead as they can. If I did 60% of the things which I mentioned last year, i'd be in a much, much greater position than I am currently in. It's just about making life as easy for yourself as possible. Yes, it is possible to get into oxbridge with say 10Bs, but it's be almost impossible to do so. That's the point i'm really trying to convey, is that of just expanding your opportunities as much as possible. What you want to do now, you may not, and will likely not want to do in 6 months time.

To an extent I did take a few comments personally, but your previous post cleared up the doubt, but otherwise I'm thankful for your tips and comments!
I have never even heard of an IB.

One thing I'll say is if you take A Levels you MUST love the subjects. Because its a lot of work. I wish I'd known this before I chose. Long story short I dropped all A Level subjects and instead continued my BTEC Diploma and took an additional Sub Diploma.

(And BTW I'm receiving offers from unis so the argument some people say about BTEC not getting people to uni is bullocks, If anything especially in my field it's more what you do out of class time that they want)