Limelight Forums

Full Version: [GUIDE] Precision Alignment [WIP]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. As you could have noticed, there's a new tool called Precision Alignment. It's not that popular on roleplay servers, because it's hard to use it fluently. I've learned to use it myself some years ago and I could say I have some knowledge. So, first things first.

Warning!
This tool has some compatibility issues here, I hope devs will apply my fix, to stop showing the stack menu type -walk in console every time you click Alt (or when you walk).

General idea of the tool
Precision Alignment is a very powerful tool. There are 3 geometric "figures". Point, line and plane. They work similar to the mathematic ones. You can create points on intersection of lines, planes, you can mirror points over planes and similar. You can do two simple tasks, rotate and move. When you move a prop without rotating, it won't rotate. When you rotate, prop usually won't move (unless the coordinate centre is not very close to mass/bounding box centre). The only operations that moves and rotates is mirroring and rotating over an axis. You could say it's pretty "poor", only 3 "figures" and functions? Yes, but when you combine them you could create something hard to reproduce with other tools. So, let's start with first, very basic function.

Moving a prop
a) Points
Points are very basic figures and you'll work on them most of the time, so it's good to know how to use them, at least to move a prop.
Let's open our Q menu and select Precision Alignment.
[Image: X6TlzaL.png]
You should see menu similar to this.
Let's talk about left click function now.
We're working on points, so:
Point - Hitpos creates a point at your crosshair when looking at world or to closest edge/center line when looking at prop.
Point - Coordinate Centre works as above, but when looking at prop it'll create a point in the coordinate centre.
Point - Mass Centre works the same on world, but on prop it'll create a point on the mass centre.
Point - Bounding Box Centre works the same as above on world, on prop it'll create a point at bounding box centre (aka collision box centre)

We'll use Point - Hitpos here, we already have it selected, so, let's begin.
You place point X when you select proper point on the primary point menu, let's say you want to create point 5, so you select a point 5.
To place points faster you can hold Left Shift. Like you have selected point 3, when you hold shift it'll create point 3, then point 4 etc.

We want to make a prop tangent to a circular prop.

First we need to place a point near the center of side showed on this screenshot
[Image: 09bNA5Z.jpg]
You need to look close to the center, you don't need to hold E to place a point, unless your snap sensitivity in Q menu is very small it'll place points at your crosshair, doesn't matter if you're looking at the center, close to center.

Next we'll place a point on our circular prop, close to the center too.
[Image: 6jj9XaP.jpg]

Okay, we have our points, we need to select a prop that we want to move and move it.

In Q menu select primary point (that you're moving) to a secondary point (the one that your primary point move to), should look like on the screenshot below if you have point 1 on the tangent prop and point 2 on the circular one.
Use right click to select a prop, it'll change color, without any configuration to blue, mine changes color to green.
[Image: opdeo4i.jpg]

Primary points is the one that'll move to secondary point. Now we need to move our props, so we'll click Move Entity under primary and secondary points selection.

To deselect a prop justly right click on the world, to remove points click delete all. To delete a given point use primary point selection and click delete. After moving it should look like this:
[Image: BDwlxPI.jpg]

To be continued
Great Thread! Although you should attempt at making a video? May be easier for the user?
Great Tut though!