Limelight Forums

Full Version: Kuaga's Rant on Vehicle Blacklists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently I was blacklisted from using vehicles for 1 hour for hitting a guy in my car. Fair enough. The rant that I'm writing right now derives from a problem I've noticed that could be easily fixed. The server has banned people from hitting each other in cars. I get that. Fair enough, but why do you allow it to be physically possible. I've seen a similar situation on another server where they have disallowed car vs player contact, but later on, they disabled the ability to hit people with your car. This is the best thing that happened for that server in a while. I highly suggest disabling car vs player damage on the server simply because of what happened to me earlier! 

I was driving down Main Street as I usually do, into City Tunnel and onto connectivity, when my frame rate goes from about 30 to 1 or 2 FPS. Now the problem is, is that a guy was in-front of my car at this time. He ran in-front of my car while I was driving, or I hit him somewhere down City Tunnel, but I didn't even notice that I'd hit him. Afterwards, the admins pulled me up and brought me to a roof, where he was there too, and he complained that I purposefully ran him over. That did not happen. My frame rate dropped, and I hit him unexpectedly. The admins (not gonna state their names) also said that I had to "role play it out and call a paramedic", but the admins failed to understand that I hadn't noticed that I'd hit the man, due to my computer lagging and my frame rate dropping. 

By the time my computer had caught up, I was already on the grassy area at connectivity, and had apparently hit someone on the way there, not realising it, yet I was still given a blacklist for an hour from vehicles. I'd be fine with that if it wasn't for the fact that I was given an 8 hour blacklist from vehicles earlier, and had spent the entire day on the server to run the blacklist time down. Taking into consideration that I spent the whole of my Sunday on your server to run down a blacklist, only to get another blacklist for an hour at around 8pm, when I have school tomorrow morning.

The fact that I was punished for something that I didn't purposefully do, and have no control over seriously annoys me and gets on my nerves. If any developers are reading this, please disable damage from vehicles so that people can't be run over by cars! If you're gonna make it against the rules to run people over, then you might as well disable it all together! And I know it's possible, because I've seen it done, and done quite well.

Thanks for reading this rant, and I really hope that the admins, excuse my French, can really get their shit together and be more considerate when it comes to peoples problems and how they handle them.
It keeps the realism to not remove the damage, as if you unintenionally injure someone with your vehicle you can attempt to roleplay it out and call for an emergency response to try and recover them.

If you fail to notice you hitting someone, especially at speed, it can seriously look intentional as you make no attempt to slow down and preserve their life.
Driving with lag is like driving drunk. You don't drive drunk, so you will have to accept consequences for your actions. Rules are rules, no exceptions.
Players can make up quite the fairy tales when interrogated, so we as staff cannot make exceptions for it.
I'm sorry but this is the way it has to be. A player's action is a player's consequence.
I remember back in the day on FL when car damage was not a thing. Players did not take damage from cars and cars were not damaged from crashing.

Players drive a lot more carefully knowing that their actions lead to consequences. It forces people to drive more responsibly as people should. Back in the ol' days, people would just drive full speed into anything because why wouldn't day? It was faster and it wouldn't affect them nor anyone else in any way.

Damage forces people to think of consequences and it makes people act more realistically.
I agree with the others. Once it came out that there is no damage taken from people/vehicle collisions, the city would be even more chaotic than it is today. People running into the street without looking, cars screaming down the street at 90mph, bouncing off each other.

No, that does not at all sound like a good solution.
I think we need to have a better system imo.

If I run someone over chances and I am a criminal the chances of me sticking around waiting for paramedics or cops is none. however in our current system this intentional decision can look like running the person down was intentional or that you did not care.
The one thing that does annoy me is when someone intentionally gets in front of you. This has happened so many times in my Firefighter career. Lights and sirens going off and they run out right in front of me walking backwards facing my vehicle. Then when I do accidentally hit them, they scream CDM!

Making it so that nobody can get hurt by vehicles I don't believe is the solution. However I do agree that maybe something should be revised/looked into with the current CDM rules.

Heck, I'd be happy to dig into it if it would help.
I'd love to be able to hit gunmen with my police car while I'm on the server, since cops have done similarly in real life and have been justified in doing so; but the admins would hate it and I'd probably get a lengthy blacklist/ban for doing it, so I don't. Long in short, vehicle damage ingame adds partial realism, and  similar to real life, getting hit by a car hurts, and you'll face consequences for running someone down(just that using your car as a weapon in-server is a no-no with OOC consequences)
All of these arguments about it adding realism to the game are fair enough. But in my opinion, if you're allowed to accidentally hit someone with your car and role play it out, you should be able to purposefully, to an extent, hit someone with your car with a role play reason. For example, your friend is in a firefight with a cop who is stood in the middle of the road - if you're talking about realism, shouldn't you be able to drive into the cop at a decent speed and kill him? There's a difference between going on a rampage running everyone over and running over a single person with your car for a valid role play reason.

In summary, revise the vehicle rules and rewrite them to suit proper realism or remove car damage altogether.
(Jan 18, 2016, 07:18 PM)xo_ Wrote: [ -> ]All of these arguments about it adding realism to the game are fair enough. But in my opinion, if you're allowed to accidentally hit someone with your car and role play it out, you should be able to purposefully, to an extent, hit someone with your car with a role play reason. For example, your friend is in a firefight with a cop who is stood in the middle of the road - if you're talking about realism, shouldn't you be able to drive into the cop at a decent speed and kill him? There's a difference between going on a rampage running everyone over and running over a single person with your car for a valid role play reason.

In summary, revise the vehicle rules and rewrite them to suit proper realism or remove car damage altogether.
Would become overpowered in a game sense, Car would be almost always a fatal hit over a weapon that is likely to be defendable.
(Jan 18, 2016, 07:18 PM)xo_ Wrote: [ -> ]All of these arguments about it adding realism to the game are fair enough. But in my opinion, if you're allowed to accidentally hit someone with your car and role play it out, you should be able to purposefully, to an extent, hit someone with your car with a role play reason. For example, your friend is in a firefight with a cop who is stood in the middle of the road - if you're talking about realism, shouldn't you be able to drive into the cop at a decent speed and kill him? There's a difference between going on a rampage running everyone over and running over a single person with your car for a valid role play reason.

The problem is some people don't understand what is acceptable and unacceptable. With this in mind, an aggressive player would find any excuse to hit someone.
ok, so taking a quick review of the current rules. It is rather vague:

Vehicle Rules
17.1 Do not run people over on purpose (CDM), and always try to brake/avoid people on the roads.

Now, considering NLR has its own section, it would seem feasible that CDM and RDM should get their own sections too. Maybe something like this:

Car Death-Match

4.1 Follow CDM (Car Death-Match). Do not run over people on purpose and always try and brake/avoid people when possible.
4.2 Do not walk in front of vehicles on purpose, this could be considered suicide breaking rule (1.3).
4.3 If you should hit someone by accident, leave your vehicle and /request for a medic even if one is not available.
4.4 If there is an emergency vehicle approaching with lights and sirens, get off the road as soon as possible.

I think this would certainly help those understand the rules a bit better. And maybe do the same thing with RDM.
(Jan 18, 2016, 07:34 PM)evilmat360 Wrote: [ -> ]

Would become overpowered in a game sense, Car would be almost always a fatal hit over a weapon that is likely to be defendable.

Could promote use of road blocks with Police Cars, or better use of the spike strips. Or Police strategically placing themselves instead of standing in the middle of a road where they could easily be hit. Adds better realism to firefights.
(Jan 19, 2016, 02:07 AM)SirWulf Wrote: [ -> ]ok, so taking a quick review of the current rules.  It is rather vague:

Vehicle Rules
17.1 Do not run people over on purpose (CDM), and always try to brake/avoid people on the roads.

Now, considering NLR has its own section, it would seem feasible that CDM and RDM should get their own sections too.  Maybe something like this:

Car Death-Match

4.1 Follow CDM (Car Death-Match).  Do not run over people on purpose and always try and brake/avoid people when possible.
4.2 Do not walk in front of vehicles on purpose, this could be considered suicide breaking rule (1.3).
4.3 If you should hit someone by accident, leave your vehicle and /request for a medic even if one is not available.
4.4 If there is an emergency vehicle approaching with lights and sirens, get off the road as soon as possible.

I think this would certainly help those understand the rules a bit better.  And maybe do the same thing with RDM.

I've run people down accidentally and many times I don't stop for good reason. ( Being shot at, being pursued ) 

I dislike rule 4.3 as I don't believe people should be required to call paramedics and exit their vehicle

I also dislike 4.4 as that is something enforced IC and shouldn't be a rule. Police can handle that.
I agree, 4.4 would turn admins into the police, and I've seen enough of that on the other community to know that it doesn't ever end well that way (since you can't argue an admin ' s decision on that point if it were an OOC rule)
Pages: 1 2