Limelight Forums

Full Version: Garry Newman says that a Garry's Mod sequel is in the works
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/a-garrys-mod-seq...the-works/

[Image: 6W0qxjYJrgT6.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg]

The sandbox physics game Garry's Mod has been around for just about forever—since late 2004, to be precise, first as a mod for Half-Life 2 and then as a standalone release. It's sold more than six million copies since then, and after all this time remains one of the most popular games on Steam, currently holding 11th place on the top 100 concurrent players list. And now, more than ten years later, there's finally talk of a follow-up.

The word came during a PCGamesN interview with Garry's Mod creator Garry Newman, when the site asked if he'd ever consider increasing the game's longstanding $10/£7 price tag. "We wouldn't raise the price now, I mean we’re kind of working on a sequel, so it’d be stupid to the raise the price, really," Newman replied. "It’s early days. We’re looking at having more VR stuff in it—that’s the big point of it. And it won’t be called Garry’s Mod 2."

That's a long way from an announcement, and given the way that Newman and Facepunch Studios work—"at their own pace," you might say—anything more official may well be a long way off. The future of virtual reality may be a factor as well: If Oculus Rift, Vive, or whatever else comes along goes over big, Newman ought to have a lot more incentive to push a VR-centric sequel than he will if they tank.
We've always been limited by the old GMOD, would be great if this sequel could be the new platform for LL.
I'm not too excited for the constant updates that will occur early on in the game's development, if you think updates continously break things now just wait for this game.
Sadly the current gmod communities are slowly shutting down allot of people are not playing gmod as much as it used to be played. Players have been playing Rust and Ark more then gmod.

I think a new Gmod will be great it will refresh its community.
New source engine would allow for so much more...
Whoop, less game restrictions.
VR HL2RP. Oh my fucking god that would be amazing.
(Sep 10, 2015, 01:56 PM)GeorgeTheBoy link Wrote:New source engine would allow for so much more...

I don't know about that.

The current Source engine has lot of potencial, and could have way better visuals and performance, but Garry himself is lazy and never worked much on the engine.

Gmod is currently the worst optimized and bad looking game using Source Engine at the moment.
(Sep 11, 2015, 12:52 AM)Kobi Blade link Wrote:[quote author=GeorgeTheBoy link=topic=1790.msg17013#msg17013 date=1441886205]
New source engine would allow for so much more...

I don't know about that.

The current Source engine has lot of potencial, and could have way better visuals and performance, but Garry himself is lazy and never worked much on the engine.

Gmod is currently the worst optimized and bad looking game using Source Engine at the moment.
[/quote]

Have you worked with the old Source engine?
Granted that I've only used it for modeling but Jesus Christ it is really outdated and infuriating to use.