Limelight Forums

Full Version: Staff Not Doing Their Jobs Properly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, today I logged onto the server and got killed for a reason I felt was unfair, and without going into too much detail, I made an @ call and waited a while nearly AFK'ing waiting for Staff. Sooner or later, I find a Staff member and ask him OOC'ly why he doesn't respond to @ calls. It turns out that said Staff member did respond, found that the reason I was killed was valid and left. He didn't say anything to me, and of course, that means I can't understand why the reason I died was unfair, so I won't learn, neither will anyone else that is new. This is a problem because if every Staff member did this (which they don't, but some do) then newcomers wouldn't have a clue.

I would expect a lot better of Staff that are actually being paid, albeit not that much, but still getting paid for what they do, and there isn't just one occasion of this. I also found that at one point, there were 5 Staff, and when everyone was complaining that no Staff were responding, it turns out that they weren't busy, as I found two of them driving around doing nothing whatsoever.

I'm not making this post to yell at Staff or tell them what to do, I'm just pointing out that maybe they aren't doing their job as well as they could be. I'm not going to name any names as I don't feel the need to.
Sometimes instead of just making it known that they are watching the situation, they phase and observe what is happening. Pretty sure they are not required to make their presence known.

If the staff member ruled that the reason you died was indeed invalid, the person that killed you would have been disciplined.
1. I think you have gravely misunderstood how the "Staff" slider of the donation screen works.

They do not get paid just for being staff, they can get a small amount of money if they are found to be doing a very good job, think of it like the staffs RP Points.

2. Maybe the staff wants to RP some time? Maybe they were dealing with another situation, or maybe they had to be somewhere else than the computer while you wanted them. If you were not there while they came they cant really do much, you should have asked while you had their attention

Just my two cents
We like doing other things too, we're not your slaves. Sometimes we're busy or like others have stated, just sit there phase and observe the situation. If we find it to be valid or whatever, we may just TP back.
The staff have the right to play on the server too, they were players like you and me once and why should the fun end once they become staff? Also I've seen countless times they watch and observe without no one noticing, they see a situation that might end up in a rule breaking way and watch it silently which is one of the best methods in my opinion.
There are also countless @ calls happening sometimes. They can't reach to them all. I suggest using fraps, shadowplay or even  the new win10 games app to gather evidence and post a BR and them move on, continue roleplaying.
Greetings Mr. Oblichicken,
I'll address your post by each point to try break down what you're saying and explain each part.

Quote:So, today I logged onto the server and got killed for a reason I felt was unfair, and without going into too much detail, I made an @ call and waited a while nearly AFK'ing waiting for Staff.
Sadly, staff can't always drop everything and rush to an @ call. We don't just sit there waiting for calls to come in, we have our own things we do as well as everyone else does. We also may be in another call at the time. You can't always see our commands in chat, so we may be answering other calls and you just can't see. We also sometimes sit and watch @ calls for a bit and TP back if we find it to be valid, as Venom mentioned. I have done this countless times.

Quote:It turns out that said Staff member did respond, found that the reason I was killed was valid and left
Sometimes you need to stop for a moment and think if it was invalid. Sadly, an admin can't always be there to TP to you to clarify everything, you as a player need to stop for a moment and think of all different avenues of reasons for your death instead of running to @.

Quote:I would expect a lot better of Staff that are actually being paid, albeit not that much, but still getting paid for what they do, and there isn't just one occasion of this.
You suddenly seem to think staff are now getting wages flying out of the donation fund. You can publically see how much has been donated to staff as a "thank you" and then you have to divide that by the amount of team members. It works out very small, but still, we don't admin for the money.

Quote:I also found that at one point, there were 5 Staff, and when everyone was complaining that no Staff were responding, it turns out that they weren't busy, as I found two of them driving around doing nothing whatsoever.
I can't really comment on this as I'm not aware of the suituation, but could they have been RPing? You need to remember sometimes staff also like to take a break for a couple of minutes and relax.
(Aug 14, 2015, 02:21 AM)Venom link Wrote: [ -> ]We like doing other things too, we're not your slaves. Sometimes we're busy or like others have stated, just sit there phase and observe the situation. If we find it to be valid or whatever, we may just TP back.

It's true, the staff are not our slaves, but if they lack the responsability to help users when they need it, maybe they don't belong on the staff team.

In this situation, it would be hard to say if the user was killed for a good reason or not, and staff could do nothing.

What the user should have done, was post a report with evidence on the forums, if he lacks evidence, then there's nothing that can be done.
(Aug 14, 2015, 02:26 AM)Kobi Blade link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Venom link=topic=906.msg9378#msg9378 date=1439511704]
We like doing other things too, we're not your slaves. Sometimes we're busy or like others have stated, just sit there phase and observe the situation. If we find it to be valid or whatever, we may just TP back.

It's true, the staff are not our slaves, but if they lack the responsability to help users when they need it, maybe they don't belong on the staff team.

In this situation, it would be hard to say if the user was killed for a good reason or not, and staff could do nothing.

What the user should have done, was post a report with evidence on the forums, if he lacks evidence, then there's nothing that can be done.
[/quote]

I've been a staff member since January of 2014. That's about a year and a half of having to respond to @ calls. Sometimes, we want a little time off to just play like the rest of you. Correct, he should be posting a ban request on the forums with evidence as that would be the best solution.
(Aug 14, 2015, 02:44 AM)Venom link Wrote: [ -> ][quote author=Kobi Blade link=topic=906.msg9381#msg9381 date=1439511992]
[quote author=Venom link=topic=906.msg9378#msg9378 date=1439511704]

[/quote]

I've been a staff member since January of 2014. That's about a year and a half of having to respond to @ calls. Sometimes, we want a little time off to just play like the rest of you. Correct, he should be posting a ban request on the forums with evidence as that would be the best solution.
[/quote]

I understand that, I meant no disrespect.

I know how that is, I was a developer/owner on multiple projects not connected to Gmod, and I would spend my entire day fixing and releasing new features on my server, and I barelly had any time to play the game myself.

Plus I was always surrounded by annoying people, asking for help and items, even with moderators around to help them.

It's extremelly stressfull.
(Aug 14, 2015, 02:21 AM)Venom link Wrote: [ -> ]We like doing other things too, we're not your slaves. Sometimes we're busy or like others have stated, just sit there phase and observe the situation. If we find it to be valid or whatever, we may just TP back.

It's true, you're not our slaves and yes, sometimes you are busy. However, I have to agree with OP, sometimes you guys are a bit lazy when it comes to responding to @ calls, which have been admitted by several administrative members at several occasions. I completely understand how you guys feel about this topic, as I have been in yours shoes, not only at Fearless, but also at other RP communities.

(Aug 14, 2015, 02:11 AM)Voluptious link Wrote: [ -> ]2. Maybe the staff wants to RP some time? Maybe they were dealing with another situation, or maybe they had to be somewhere else than the computer while you wanted them. If you were not there while they came they cant really do much, you should have asked while you had their attention

Something, that needs to be said is; priorities. Of course, the administrative members have the right to roleplay as members do. I mean, afterall that's what we are all here for. However, rules have been set in place to be followed and when people fail to stay within' the boundaries of this preset ruleset, then it is the administrators responsibility to make sure that diciplinary action will be taken. It is, in my personal opinion the utmost first priority, over RP.

If you really want to take a break, atleast go undercover or leave the server. Let's put it this way, when an officer wears his badge and uniform, it comes with responsibilities that are prioritized over anything. Same goes for that shiny golden star of yours, if a player scrolls through the scoreboard and sees one of those stars, it gives them a form of comfort, knowing that you guys are here, looking out for them, making sure that they will be able to roleplay and have a good time without being interupted by people who doesn't follow the rules, same way it gives citizens comfort seeing police officers around the city, knowing that they are somewhat safe in their presence.

Don't get me wrong, eventhough you most likely will anyway. I know how it feels to be in your shoes, I also know how it feels not being in your shoes and I have to admit, being a victim to minges ruining your roleplay, causing you to spin out of momentum sucks balls. It absolutely destroys your fun and motivation for playing. Overseen or ignored rulebreaks that ruin roleplay situations create unnecessary tention, which leads to a negative atmosphere amongst players, which leads to arguments and so forth.

Sometimes it even happens that there is up to six administrators present on the server and still you get no visible response to your @ calls. Surely you can't all be taking a break at the same time?

I'd like to point out, I am not mocking on the administrative team, I mean fuck. I love you guys for the effort and time you put into what you do and for being so great at it, but sometimes you guys are equally as lazy and ignorant as the rest of the playerbase.

Think about it, learn from it and hopefully, everyone will have a great time.

Peace'
(Aug 14, 2015, 02:24 AM)Wood link Wrote: [ -> ]
Point Two Wrote:It turns out that said Staff member did respond, found that the reason I was killed was valid and left
Sometimes you need to stop for a moment and think if it was invalid. Sadly, an admin can't always be there to TP to you to clarify everything, you as a player need to stop for a moment and think of all different avenues of reasons for your death instead of running to @.

The reason I called an admin as I said in my first post, is that I felt the reason I died was invalid. Even if we do have slip-up's, isn't it the Admins job to tell us why what he did wasn't invalid, as we're clearly confused and want to try and understand?

(Aug 14, 2015, 02:24 AM)Wood link Wrote: [ -> ]
Point Three Wrote:I would expect a lot better of Staff that are actually being paid, albeit not that much, but still getting paid for what they do, and there isn't just one occasion of this.
You suddenly seem to think staff are now getting wages flying out of the donation fund. You can publically see how much has been donated to staff as a "thank you" and then you have to divide that by the amount of team members. It works out very small, but still, we don't admin for the money.

That isn't true, I don't think Staff get that much money, that's even why I said "Albeit, not very much", I actually worked out that if each Admin got paid evenly, they'd all get paid around £12, but of course, I was aware that the amount they were paid depended on their performance as a Staff member, and my point was not that they get paid a lot, but that they get paid at all.

I am also well aware that you do silently observe a scene, but not informing the person that called you that you were there and the situation was indeed valid, will simply make them keep using @ and wonder why no one is responding. A lot of players in the server complain that Admins never respond to their @ call, but in actual fact, they just aren't told by the Staff member that went to them that the situation has been dealt with. A simple /pm to the person that made the request is all that is needed in order for the player to be satisfied that the Staff team is doing their job.

This post was only to show Administrators how they are performing in my opinion. This entire post is opinion based and I made it not only to show my own, but to show everyone's. Yes, Administrators need a break, I understand that as I have history of being one, but like Equal says, go undercover or leave the server. Players get frustrated (again, as Equal said) when Admins appear to be online, but they fail to respond.