Limelight Forums

Full Version: [Guide] Link's Character Building Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: nGOfUhC.png]

G'day chaps. I have been roleplaying for over 2 full years, and in that time I have learnt almost everything about casual roleplay. One of the aspects I am quite passionate about is the aspect of character building... creating a new person from scratch and developing them.

This guide is not so much for the experienced players, but new players looking for ways to enhance their roleplay experience. This guide will teach you the basics of creating a character name, description, physical image, characteristics, developing them and making them feel real.

STEP 1 - Name

In order to create a realistic character, you have to make sure his name is original and is not mingy*. Try and make up a name from your imagination.

Alternatively, you can go to a random generator website such as this : https://www.behindthename.com/random/

A tip I could recommend is thinking of a normal first name, like John, and looking around the room at items. For example, next to me, I have a 'Rolson' knife. So my character would be called John Rolson.

*Mingy - Unrealistic and silly.

STEP 2 - Description

To make the character more life like, you have to give a good description. This description should include...
  • Personality
  • Appearance
  • Slight noticeable habits, eg. Cold, cough etc.

Obviously, you can change the things you include accordingly. You should set it out a little bit like this... :

6"4|EB Badge|23 Y/O|British|Aftershave

STEP 3 - Development

Once you have sorted out the general idea for your character, you will want to brainstorm more about his attitude and personality. Try to base it off of people and personalities that you know and understand, as acting the character out will only require you to think back to certain memories - otherwise, it can be very difficult.

Does he smoke? What food does he like? What clothes does he wear? This is all up to you.

Moreover, if you wear a suit, make sure you keep the same suit. Do not allow the game mode to shift their faces and make it unrealistic if you chose to buy another suit, it looks and feels unrealistic and strange. On the other hand, if your character is 20 and you use the old man suit, you should probably consider changing it.

STEP 4 - Finishing

Now you have set up all of the hard back of your character, you are ready to go into detail. Play CityRP with your character for a few days and attempt to get used to acting to people in the certain mannerisms that your character possesses.
After you have followed all of these steps, you are ready to go! Good luck developing your characters.

- Last updated 09.08.15 -
Nice guide! This should help new players create an original character and not the same 21 y/o ex-marine.
Very nice guide Link, surely will help out the newer players in Roleplay and certainly some experienced ones also.
Nice guide!