Limelight Forums

Full Version: [GUIDE] BBcodes. What are those?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody and welcome to my little guide over what BBCodes are and how you can use them.

What is this?

BBCode is short for Bulletin Board Code. It is used as a way for formatting posts made on message boards, blogs and more. It is similar to HTML in the sense that in BBCode one does also use tags to format something specific (contained within the tag). In BBCode tags are indicated by rectangular brackets surrounding a keyword, which is in turn transformed into HTML before being delivered to a web browser.

BBCode was implemented as method of providing a safer and easier way of allowing posts to be formatted on forums. Before BBCode forums sometimes allowed users to include HTML code in their posts, which had many security issues (i.e. the user could execute javascript code, break the layout of the site and so on). With BBCode being parsed by the forum scripts it is easier to control what the user can do and can not do (allowing or not allowing specific BBCode tags).

The basic BBCode tags are often very similar across many different forums, but there are some variants in existence as well. Sometimes BBCode tags has to be in specific cases (i.e. bold text will work, while (B)bold text(/B) will not).
( Used parenthesis instead of the brackets to show the example )

How do i use them?

Now, many of these bbcodes are already floating icons above your text you're about to write. Let's look for example. There's a well known bbcode that many users love to use that is made for show of images. Now this bbcode is known as "[img]http://". As you see [img] is used for any pictured url to be used of.  For example, if you have a url of a picture you can press the "Image" icon above or create your own bbcode.

[img][/img] This will be the bbcode provided if you press the "Image" icon. This is also the bbcode you need to create if you'd do it yourself. The diffrence between  is that the slash shows where the linked url will end. For example.

Create the bbcode

(img)(/img) ( Used parenthesis instead of the brackets to show the example )

After, please asure that the url you have is in proper format and is placed in the middle between the code. If done correctly, it should look alike this

(img)imageurl(/img) ( Used parenthesis instead of the brackets to show the example )

[Image: team-fortress-2-expendables-banner.jpg]

The bbcode is supported by both normal picture formats and GIF's.

Now, the website supports way more bbcodes than this simple one. Now, the icons above provides an exquisite amount of bbcodes that are just to be used.

As I looked trough these bbcodes I reconized that one were missing. A very important one acording to me as a member and many others. The video bbcode. Now, this webside does not support the exact code, ( which in this case could be [youtube][/youtube] ) but don't worry. The website has It's own function so whenever you post a Youtube url link, It'll automaticly make itself into a youtube player with the desired youtube url.

Where can i find them?

There are plenty of bbcodes left to use, but remember that some are not supported by this website and is most likely already invented in some kind of way.

Here's the links to both popular bbcodes and the official website itself if you'd like to know more about bbcodes.

I hope this guide has been helpful and that it helped you figuring out how to use a bbcode. If not, please write bellow and I'll try to answer you the best.

Links:
https://www.bbcode.org/
        https://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
Nice guide. Good layout. This will surely help a lot of people.
Very useful guide, will certainly come in handy for a lot of people.
Moved to Guides.

Good job Bowie!
good job, Good Guide!
Newbies to forums system will definitely benefit from your guide. Nice job.