Limelight Forums

Full Version: Development - What next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

Quick question for you all. Obviously we're working hard on updates and features already, but I'd like to know what exactly do you want to see next, prioritised etc? This has been asked in the past, but I want to know if the community's opinion has shifted since we started our play sessions back up again and things have been a bit more active.

Please give specifics rather than "content" etc.

Cheers,
Liv
I would say introducing anything that requires player interaction, a market system perhaps. Systems like the stock exchange, which required clans to be active for the stock to maybe go up and news mattered and could tank a stock.

Another fact would be optimization, be that if photon needs to be replaced with vcmod and maybe guns be lowered in quality, cause i would rather have less customazation than not having any fps.
Reorganise some form of Community Input Team to sift through approved suggestions and see which ones the community want prioritised.
(Apr 10, 2021, 04:16 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]I would say introducing anything that requires player interaction, a market system perhaps. Systems like the stock exchange, which required clans to be active for the stock to maybe go up and news mattered and could tank a stock.

Another fact would be optimization, be that if photon needs to be replaced with vcmod and maybe guns be lowered in quality, cause i would rather have less customazation than not having any fps.

^ this
Granted, some of these aren't such simple features to implement but perhaps the script store, gmod store or whatever it is called could help.

Inventory system overhaul:
-Limit inventory system drastically while adding a bank system in the map where you can store more items but you'll have to go to this bank spot/npc to access stored items.
-Inventory from now on is searchable by law enforcement and they can take away your items from it.
-It could also be that this inventory system will be completely removed or you could only carry utility items such as food and medical supplies etc, everything except weapons in the inventory and you'll actually have to equip weapons. Even carrying a single assault rifle, a pistol and a melee weapon at once in the inventory could work. Even item slots for each of these like in some other games.
Or whatever. I want some kind of system limiting people from carrying weapons around and taking away the situation where police officers can't do a thing to prevent people with guns from doing bad things before they do.

Here's a couple benefits:
-Everyone doesn't carry a weapon with them. So it's not the stereotypical america where police officers are scared for their lives every day they're working.
-Perhaps melee weapons will be carried more often as those could be legal more often making it more of a civilian role play instead of gun land.
-No more walking to the president's office and pulling out a gun out of thin air after having been searched downstairs.

This leads to more realistic situations and everyone won't be carrying a weapon around once we get some regular police officer players back on the saddle. 

-This coupled with a spawnable storage box and vehicle trunks having inventory space would be useful for weapon smugglers and just hauling weapons to your gang in the suburbs because every gang member going to the bank individually will be way more risky than one person doing that.

Civilian jobs need access to all civilian clothing because gun dealer should be able to be something other than the same fat man.
Anything that increases the potential player interaction - new mechanics, less reliability on gameplay mechanics for certain jobs, etc. Keep adding money sinks so the economy balances out.

I don't think optimisation should be top of the priorities at the moment, ever since Goigle's HUD update my FPS has almost seen a 50% increase and the server was way more playable than ever before, it'd be unrealistic to try and cater to all the different system specs of the players in the community.
(Apr 11, 2021, 01:20 PM)Joulle Wrote: [ -> ]Granted, some of these aren't such simple features to implement but perhaps the script store, gmod store or whatever it is called could help.

Inventory system overhaul:
-Limit inventory system drastically while adding a bank system in the map where you can store more items but you'll have to go to this bank spot/npc to access stored items.
-Inventory from now on is searchable by law enforcement and they can take away your items from it.
-It could also be that this inventory system will be completely removed or you could only carry utility items such as food and medical supplies etc, everything except weapons in the inventory and you'll actually have to equip weapons. Even carrying a single assault rifle, a pistol and a melee weapon at once in the inventory could work. Even item slots for each of these like in some other games.
Or whatever. I want some kind of system limiting people from carrying weapons around and taking away the situation where police officers can't do a thing to prevent people with guns from doing bad things before they do.

-Everyone doesn't carry a weapon with them. So it's not the stereotypical america where police officers are scared for their lives every day they're working.
-Perhaps melee weapons will be carried more often as those could be legal more often making it more of a civilian role play instead of gun land.
-No more walking to the president's office and pulling out a gun out of thin air after having been searched downstairs.

This leads to more realistic situations and everyone won't be carrying a weapon around once we get some regular police officer players back on the saddle. 

-This coupled with a spawnable storage box and vehicle trunks having inventory space would be useful for weapon smugglers and just hauling weapons to your gang in the suburbs because every gang member going to the bank individually will be way more risky than one person doing that.

Civilian jobs need access to all civilian clothing because gun dealer should be able to be something other than the same fat man.

Something similar to parts of this is already being worked on.
(Apr 10, 2021, 04:16 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]Another fact would be optimization, be that if photon needs to be replaced with vcmod and maybe guns be lowered in quality, cause i would rather have less customazation than not having any fps.

Let's not lower the quality of the rather small amount of content we have. There was a lot of work done to optimisation. Why not put the focus on adding and improving content now, instead of yet again getting rid of the good things we have?

What do you expect if you remove Photon, which is used by the no.1 job on this server, and use the extremely unstable vcmod instead? 2fps, maybe 3? You lose more than you gain. The same goes for the weapons. You want to go back to CS:S weapons so we can feel like 2005 again? It's time to update stuff, not to revert it to shit again.

Edit: I just want to add that you will not have good fps on any full server which offers just a little bit of content. It's just not possible with Gmod. There are rarely players which have extreme fps issues, and those simply have a potato PC. And we can definitely not downgrade and simply destroy the content we have so some players with such bad rigs have 20 instead of 18 fps.
(Apr 11, 2021, 06:14 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 10, 2021, 04:16 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]Another fact would be optimization, be that if photon needs to be replaced with vcmod and maybe guns be lowered in quality, cause i would rather have less customazation than not having any fps.

Let's not lower the quality of the rather small amount of content we have. There was a lot of work done to optimisation. Why not put the focus on adding and improving content now, instead of yet again getting rid of the good things we have?

What do you expect if you remove Photon, which is used by the no.1 job on this server, and use the extremely unstable vcmod instead? 2fps, maybe 3? You lose more than you gain. The same goes for the weapons. You want to go back to CS:S weapons so we can feel like 2005 again? It's time to update stuff, not to revert it to shit again.

Edit: I just want to add that you will not have good fps on any full server which offers just a little bit of content. It's just not possible with Gmod. There are rarely players which have extreme fps issues, and those simply have a potato PC. And we can definitely not downgrade and simply destroy the content we have so some players with such bad rigs have 20 instead of 18 fps.

You do realise all 3 roleplay nights we had new people with FPS issues right? If someone joins and can't get enough FPS to enjoy the game, he is going off to the next server.
whitelist the government:
- allow for any player to play as a recruit with basic equipment
- have a community vote on who should play the high roles such as commissioner for the police, medical/fire then allow them to bring in people they obviously know are going to work in other positions below them and build from there
- president role should have monthly elections, adding some real political party RP to this

you can have a lot better, more indepth rp that actually comes with consequences. it wouldnt turn us into a seriousrp, just a serious government which considering the RP that is expected in a cityrp server wouldn't really be a bad thing (people can still just play as a recruit without any responsibility and have fun)

it also doesnt force a seriousrp on people if they dont want to play it that way as you've got those base roles that you can come and go with no dedication to the organisation what so ever- it also allows for a lot more and better gangrp as you've got to protect identites from the policedp etc
(Apr 12, 2021, 12:51 AM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]whitelist the government:
- have a community vote on who should play the high roles such as commissioner for the police, medical/fire then allow them to bring in people they obviously know are going to work in other positions below them and build from there
- president role should have monthly elections, adding some real political party RP to this

you can have a lot better, more indepth rp that actually comes with consequences. it wouldnt turn us into a seriousrp, just a serious government which considering the RP that is expected in a cityrp server wouldn't really be a bad thing (people can still just play as a recruit without any responsibility and have fun)

it also doesnt force a seriousrp on people if they dont want to play it that way as you've got those base roles that you can come and go with no dedication to the organisation what so ever- it also allows for a lot more and better gangrp as you've got to protect identites from the policedp etc

Thanks for your input. There is a feature relating to government depth in progress, more will be announced soon.

It’s good to see all this feedback, and helps me to work out what work I want to prioritise for the community.
(Apr 12, 2021, 12:51 AM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]- have a community vote on who should play the high roles such as commissioner for the police

by far the most important statement there
(Apr 11, 2021, 07:14 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 11, 2021, 06:14 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]

You do realise all 3 roleplay nights we had new people with FPS issues right? If someone joins and can't get enough FPS to enjoy the game, he is going off to the next server.

I've seen on some servers this popup window come up if your fps is too low and it basically asks you do you want to turn on multi-core rendering. Something like that could help to make some people give it another chance at least if their fps is way too low. 

You can actually type the both commands: mat_queue_mode 2 and gmod_mcore_test 1 in console while on a server too and it works. No need to restart the game.
(Apr 12, 2021, 10:29 AM)Taylor Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 12, 2021, 12:51 AM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]- have a community vote on who should play the high roles such as commissioner for the police

by far the most important statement there

Thank you for the input.

I’m now working on our government overhaul project which includes things such as granular budgets/taxes, better control panels, better “dictator” system, bunch of other shit. I’m looking to include election/democracy/vote elements to this too for presidential votes & potentially police votes too. I’ll share more information soon hopefully.
Good Afternoon, thank you everyone for the feedback you've given so far, so it'd only be fair to get some responses.

(Apr 10, 2021, 04:16 PM)Project Wrote: [ -> ]I would say introducing anything that requires player interaction, a market system perhaps. Systems like the stock exchange, which required clans to be active for the stock to maybe go up and news mattered and could tank a stock.
We are looking for ways to increase player interaction, or even a player-based marketplace.
The issue we're having is that these tend to be... Wide in scope, to put it nicely.

The Stock Market however, isn't a system which we're looking at bringing back for at least the short to medium term.
In the state it was in, it promoted exploiting the system, amplified clan and administrative issues, and generally just made the rich, richer.

There's still a lot which can be done with the current gamemode and its assets, before we start stripping out features.
There's also mitigations, such as multicore rendering or using the x64 branch, which have massive impacts on framerates.

(Apr 11, 2021, 01:12 AM)Taylor Wrote: [ -> ]Reorganise some form of Community Input Team to sift through approved suggestions and see which ones the community want prioritised.

Honestly, with the recent feedback threads, and the input we're getting, I don't think we need to reform a team which was only disbanded a month ago, for a hyper-limited role.
Doubly so when we haven't got a good system fully in-place for issue / suggestion management (it's being worked on).

However, I would recommend, if you yourself, or anyone else, wants to go through the suggestions, and find duplicates, things which are now suggestions not wanted, already finished things, etc, you can always report the threads or DM us about them.

(Apr 11, 2021, 01:20 PM)Joulle Wrote: [ -> ]Granted, some of these aren't such simple features to implement but perhaps the script store, gmod store or whatever it is called could help.

Implementing scripts from GModStore comes with the issue in that none are designed for this gamemode.
We've hired from there before, but that often ends up being expensive, especially over the longer term.

(Apr 11, 2021, 01:20 PM)Joulle Wrote: [ -> ]- Limit inventory system drastically while adding a bank system in the map where you can store more items but you'll have to go to this bank spot/npc to access stored items.
- Inventory from now on is searchable by law enforcement and they can take away your items from it.
- It could also be that this inventory system will be completely removed or you could only carry utility items such as food and medical supplies etc, everything except weapons in the inventory and you'll actually have to equip weapons. Even carrying a single assault rifle, a pistol and a melee weapon at once in the inventory could work. Even item slots for each of these like in some other games.

This is an interesting idea, but is a very radical change. It'd probably be best in a suggestion.

(Apr 11, 2021, 01:20 PM)Joulle Wrote: [ -> ]Civilian jobs need access to all civilian clothing because gun dealer should be able to be something other than the same fat man.

This was being done, I just think it never ended up getting finished.

(Apr 12, 2021, 12:51 AM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]whitelist the government:

This has actually come up before, fairly recently, in https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-27847.html and https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-27889.html, with https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z_4A...sp=sharing coming out of it.

Just slapping a whitelist on Police won't fix all of the issues, and could even exacerbate some.
We need to figure out how to fix the issues, so I'd highly recommend casting your eye over those threads.