Limelight Forums

Full Version: Prince Philip has died
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history. The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

BBC

RIP
He's had a lot of gaffs, but has been dedicated to his service of the Crown, was a dedicated ecologist before it was common-place, has been a bedrock for a lot of the Royal Family, and even started the Duke of Edenborough's Award.

He's done a lot of good, and I'm sure he will be missed.
My condolences
A great shame indeed.
RIP big willy Philly 😔
He served the country with great duty
He was 99, a royalty, racist and result of incest.
I'm sorry, but I can't feel bad for the dude.

Also, I don't think anyone actually gives a shit.
(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]He was 99, a royalty, racist and result of incest.

Someones a little grumpy today
(May 14, 2021, 01:20 AM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]He was 99, a royalty, racist and result of incest.

Nah, I'm actually doing fine. Finished my IKEA wardrobe with my gf, bought some catnip for my feline friend and won at Uno.

I just don't like people defending monarchs, that's all.

On a much lighter note though, Lizzie is single now.
(May 14, 2021, 09:46 AM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 14, 2021, 01:20 AM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]

Nah, I'm actually doing fine. Finished my IKEA wardrobe with my gf, bought some catnip for my feline friend and won at Uno.

Nice necroposting
(May 14, 2021, 12:05 PM)Cole Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 14, 2021, 09:46 AM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 14, 2021, 01:20 AM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]Someones a little grumpy today

Nice necroposting

It is what it is. Just saw the thread.
(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]He was 99,
Yeah, he lasted a long time.

(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]a royalty
So?

(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]racist
Citation Needed?
He's said some whack shit, but seemingly aimed to break ice, rather than as an attempt to denigrate people?
Especially when he's also done things specifically to promote inclusivity such as the D of E award, and worldwide activism (such as founding the World Wildlife Fund).
Unless you're implying a person who has done any racist thing, knowing or unknowingly, for any reason, positive or negative, is a racist, ignoring anything else they do.

(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]and result of incest.
Citation Needed.

(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry, but I can't feel bad for the dude.

Maybe you don't give a shit, but he's done a lot of good both in the UK and abroad.
(May 14, 2021, 02:24 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]

So?

Citation Needed?
He's said some whack shit, but seemingly aimed to break ice, rather than as an attempt to denigrate people?
Especially when he's also done things specifically to promote inclusivity such as the D of E award, and worldwide activism (such as founding the World Wildlife Fund).
Unless you're implying a person who has done any racist thing, knowing or unknowingly, for any reason, positive or negative, is a racist, ignoring anything else they do.

Citation Needed.

(May 13, 2021, 11:52 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry, but I can't feel bad for the dude.

Maybe you don't give a shit, but he's done a lot of good both in the UK and abroad.

First:
He, indeed has said many racist things and I do not believe that creating awards (something that many rich or powerful people do) make these remarks towards past British colonies, that his ancestors have siphoned for resources, any less powerful. I, for one, do not think that being racist in these cases can be a positive thing or considered breaking the ice. Also, if I recall correctly, I am not alone in these thoughts, as he was a very polarizing figure in the UK.

Here are some quotes:
"It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons," (While being shown Ethiopian art)
“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh).
“So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs” (To a group of boys at a Bangladeshi youth club)

Second:
[Image: d345bdf1b49dc7627e3fbd8186fca1ec.png]
(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 14, 2021, 02:24 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]

So?

Citation Needed?

Citation Needed.

First:
He, indeed has said many racist things and I do not believe that creating awards (something that many rich or powerful people do) make these remarks towards past British colonies, that his ancestors have siphoned for resources, any less powerful.
My ancestors were likely part of the apparatus which made the slave trade run, being from a major port city.
Do I have to repent for what they've done?
If I do something, does that make it worse?
Shouldn't we be judging people by the content of their character, not by their ancestry?

I also don't believe you've actually taken not of anything I said there, especially when it's quite clear you don't actually know what half of what I've said is, and just handwaved it aside, when one was a worldwide effort and the other not only promotes inclusivity but also worked internationally.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]I, for one, do not think that being racist in these cases can be a positive thing
Perhaps you could directly quote me, I don't recall calling racism a positive thing?
I'll be explicit for you.
Racism. Is. Bad.
Racists. Are. Bad.

However, we also can see nuance, I'll use an example to make it easier.
Having a gram of weed on you is illegal. Having a kg of weed on you is more illegal.
Inadvertently being racist, making "gaffs" is bad, and should be corrected. Being deliberately racist, thinking that other races are below your own, is worse. Trying to exterminate those races, even worse than that.

If we can agree on that, it comes down to whether we think that positives and negatives of a person can out-weigh each-other, and how bad the act of being racist is, especially if you were growing up in a time when that was more common. Doubly so when it's a comment a few times per decade?

Again, just to make it clear for you. I'm not say it's right, or that it's good.
I'm saying, it was rare for the comments to occur at all, when they did, they weren't normally racially directed.
To come in here yelling "he was a inbred racist. who gives a fuck", bit of an overreaction, bit lacking in nuance.
Especially when, as others pointed out, it was over a month ago.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]or considered breaking the ice.
Again, I believe you've taken what I've said out of context.
I said that's what the attempt was.
I don't disagree that racism is bad, but I disagree with jumping to conclusions.
Saying something racist doesn't mean you're a racist.
Does it need correcting? Yes.
Does that make them a bad person? Maybe not.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if I recall correctly, I am not alone in these thoughts, as he was a very polarizing figure in the UK.
There's lots of polarizing figures in the UK.
Just by the act of being a Royal he was polarizing.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some quotes:
"It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons," (While being shown Ethiopian art)
This would have been 1965? Perhaps I'm miss-reading your quote, I'm not seeing any racism here?
It's a critique of art, or possibly praise, I don't know how good an artist his daughter was.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]“It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh).
Yep, and this is indefensible.

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]“So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs” (To a group of boys at a Bangladeshi youth club)
I feel like I'm missing context for this, as I've seen this exact joke made when I was at University.
I'm not seeing the racism here again?

(May 14, 2021, 11:31 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]Second:
[Image: d345bdf1b49dc7627e3fbd8186fca1ec.png]
Okay?
Do you know who your 3rd Cousins are?
Your parents, parents, parents, parents children's, childrens, childrens, children.
There's an average share of <1% of DNA between third cousins.

Honestly, I'd have expected better from you, than a hit-piece over essentially nothing.
First Cousins are incest, but aren't even banned everywhere.
Second cousins generally aren't.
Third cousins are even further than that.
(also he wouldn't be the product of incest, since, ya know he married back into the line, not a child from relations.)

I did not respond to all af your points, because I do not know all the facts about how the WWF was formed or about the Duke of Edenbourugh Award to make an opinion on them and I lacked the time to research them, therefore I did not want to argue those points. Also because I did not want to lengthen the time I spent discussing this topic, because I am a bit busy atm (finals, vacation coming up and need to get all the certificates of my vaccinations, etc). Yes, you could say I chickened out of the conversation (or acted like a politician).

I do not think that we can be blamed for our ancestry, but I do believe we can still be respectful towards those who have suffered from it. He was, at at the least, insensitive. Of course, this is only my view of it and not meant to be an in-depth review of his person, because surely in-person accounts from the other parties being there when he said those things would be needed.

Admittedly, I could have put together my thoughts in a more thought-out manner. The first comment was kind of a rush of the moment remark and I built my argument onto that in a castles-on-sand esque way. Then again, at that time I just finished watching someone rant about royalty and their crimes against the British colonies, so that swayed my mood when I saw this thread.

I started this argument out without much research and previous studies on the topic, something you clearly have done, so I know I'm not going to win it now. I also know to choose my hills to die on and British politics is not one of them. Hungarian politics on the other hand...
But that's another topic.

So for now, I admit defeat, lick my wounds and move on.
"You gotta take the L's" is how the kids say it these days.

What is the Duke of Edenborough Award about, if you don't mind me asking?
Pages: 1 2