Limelight Forums

Full Version: Casual RP - DarkRP Category & Metagaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sup Smile

With there being a strong feeling that we fit in more with the CasualRP category, and there being an ongoing discussion for changing to the DarkRP category in the server browser, do you support the change and do you think it's time to revisit the anti-metagaming changes which affected the way jobs/job titles are displayed in the scoreboard and HUD (obscured/hidden)?

As much as I believe reducing metagaming is important, the way things currently are can be quite alienating to new players, especially if we end up trying to target fresh players from the DarkRP casual population. The lack of job titles results in less context being available in situations, and to be honest we don't have an active enough community/server pop in order to teach people why things are the way they are right now. I believe the changes were beneficial once upon a time when the server was busy and lively, but the less players around the less positive this change is. This opinion is just my own, and I'd be keen to understand everyone else's view on this.

I've created a poll, please let us know your thoughts about these two issues. Thanks!
tfw no multiple polls

edit: worth also saying that if we managed to revive the server there's nothing stopping us from changing back to our own category in future down the line.
No. CityRP is not DarkRP. We shouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity - just look at our brethren over that other server. The servers are full but the hearts are empty.

(also ly liv)
The anti-metagaming stuff made it a lot easier for staff, and didn't provide a huge amount in return for users.
It allowed more RP to develop, because you didn't just have people going "no you're not a bigfoot hunter, you're a thief, your job says so".

As for the DarkRP changes, it could open us up to a new market. The problem is the servers used to have older players teaching newer players how to RP well, which we don't currently have.
Jobs that can manufacture stuff should be listed in the scoreboard again, but definitely not the roles where metagaming could actually destroy the RP rather than benefit it (e.g. police officers, anarchists, ...).
Dark RP is poopy
Hate DarkRP, love the community. Would be curious to see where it goes, but DarkRp is no bueno from me.
(Mar 22, 2021, 10:31 PM)Roachy Wrote: [ -> ]Hate DarkRP, love the community. Would be curious to see where it goes, but DarkRp is no bueno from me.

DarkRP, or the DarkRP category?
Why are you switching to a more mingey category...
(Mar 22, 2021, 10:31 PM)Mak3 Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you switching to a more mingey category...

A wider range of available population to draw from?
(Mar 22, 2021, 10:31 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 22, 2021, 10:31 PM)Roachy Wrote: [ -> ]Hate DarkRP, love the community. Would be curious to see where it goes, but DarkRp is no bueno from me.

DarkRP, or the DarkRP category?

both tbh, I understand CityRP is a very old GM and you guys have altered it to your own needs but I mean the category itself doesn't have a great rep
Disregard my last, liv just explained what this actually is and it's pretty big brain.
For clarification - this is to move the CityRP server into the DarkRP category, not move to DarkRP gamemode.

The justification for this in my mind is that it will help get the ball rolling again with population, and in turn means teachers, regular players etc can guide new players on higher quality roleplay etc. Higher pop will motivate previous players to return. You can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs, and it's not fair to complain that the DarkRP community is low quality when right now we have 0 quality - nobody is playing.
Definitely a wise move.

I would modify the anti-metagaming shit though as so "salemen" jobs (GD, BMD etc.) would be shown aswell, just makes life a lil bit easier.
I think the change to the dark rp category is worth a try to increase the player base. Can't hurt to try at least. Who even knows what city rp means anymore out of the gmod community. I mean pretty much every played rp map is in a city. It's just a name that no one can relate to outside this server.

Let's just say that the meaning of semi-serious has diminished over the years drastically. I personally always liked the more semi-serious approach of this server over the old competitor. However, I believe the meaning of semi-serious has loosened here a bit over the years at least on the side of enforcing rules. I always liked the more semi-serious approach but sometimes I felt that it was too restrictive as to what you could do.

If I were to set aside other servers, I'd call limelight a casual role play server as to what people do here on a daily basis but if I was to compare it to other servers out there, I'd definitely get the feeling of semi-serious. When you look at the features and how people play here it's definitely not a serious rp server although serious doesn't mean /me /it using at all in my opinion. Perfectly good role play can be done solely by using voice chat or not even saying a word.

Please keep the jobs hidden and for god's sake give all civilian jobs the same selection of player models because everyone knows your job instantly and metagames.