Limelight Forums

Full Version: PC Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to revamp my nearly 6 y/o PC (with parts). 

Let me get this clear: I know fuck all about PCs. Since my older brother got me my PC as a gift years ago, I literally have no idea what to buy or whatever. If you're going to explain something to me, explain it like you would to a 4 month old baby who has a smoking addiction and an iron deficiency. 

Here are my specs (I think, I honestly have no clue): 

Processor: Intel® Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.91 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Baseboard/Motherboard (??): ASUSTeK - PRIME H310M-K
446GB Storage (yeah I have no clue whether to put this or not).

If there's anything else that needs to be added, please tell me. 

Please comment some things or stuff idk to help me completely revamp my PC 
I am very braindead when it comes to PCs so please don't get mad at me Sad
Your pc is fine, the exeption could be the graphics card and the storage, a 1TB hard drive or solid state drive should be fine but it mainly depends on what games you play, games from 2000-2009 should be around 300mb-2gb, most games today are around 25gb and above.

2gb vram on your graphics card isnt really much for most games but again, it depends on the types of games you play.

an 8th gen is actually decent but you could get an i7 variant but it mostly depends on you.

if you need more help or explanations just ping me on discord (pyro gaming#6493)

also, could you specify if your disk drive is a ssd (solid state drive) or a hdd. (hard disk drive)
For CPU I am personally looking at (50% off and all that):
 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B...PLH4&psc=1

Any maybe 1660 as a midrange GPU now, or even 2060/70.
(Oct 4, 2020, 03:23 PM)Tom* Wrote: [ -> ]Any maybe 1660 as a midrange GPU now, or even 2060/70.

tbh i'd be looking towards the 3070 when it gets released, or even a 3080.
Slashed prices with better performance.

If it gets bottlenecked now, it still allows for upgrades down the line.
(Oct 4, 2020, 04:04 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 4, 2020, 03:23 PM)Tom* Wrote: [ -> ]Any maybe 1660 as a midrange GPU now, or even 2060/70.

tbh i'd be looking towards the 3070 when it gets released, or even a 3080.
Slashed prices with better performance.

If it gets bottlenecked now, it still allows for upgrades down the line.

^ This. Best long term value for your money get a 3080. To complement that you're best off looking at a MoBo with PCIE Gen 4, a processor to support that and not bottleneck your GPU (e.g. Ryzen 5 3600X) and 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4 3200 or faster memory.

I know the above will look like a bunch of jargon if you're not experienced, but essentially If you're looking to invest a decent chunk of money into a PC that will stay performing well for 4 years to come, I'd recommend doing the above at a minimum as well as getting an NVME SSD. All of the above will likely be around £1k but will last for years without needing any additional changes or investment.

If you have that kind of money to use, I can help you with a build and which parts to buy and where from etc, feel free to hit me up on Discord Joe Gatto™#6969
I'd wait on the GPU, there's rumours that nvidia have deliberately left price gaps in order to slip SUPER variants of their 30 series lineup. As for CPU, I'd recommend waiting to see what the Zen 3 architecture is like for the 4th-gen Ryzen CPUs. You probably want something like C14 3200MHz or C16 3600MHz DDR4 RAM, and 16GB of that.