Limelight Forums

Full Version: The Big Questions v2 - Police Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We had v1, we've had some great feedback, and we've spoken with both everyone on the thread and the community input group internally, but there's some more specific feedback I'd like to get.

What are the issues with the current police forces?

To kick it off, there's 3 issues I've noted.
Firstly, corruption. Whilst I don't see this as a major issue in my eyes, to some people it's annoying, so I'll list it here. Taking bribes, ignoring crimes, etc.

Secondly, Dumbassery. Cops firing over each-other, ramming each-other in pursuits, breaching procedures, issuing warrants to buy food, that sort of thing. Though, once brought up, it tends to be less of an issue, but would be nice to be sorted initially.

Lastly, dickery. Cops who seem to take sexual pleasure in fucking your day. Arrests for jaywalking, 5mph over the limit? That's a 15 minute arrest. Had your legal firearm in hand, looking away from a cop? That's threatening an officer, you're shot, injured, cuffed and arrested for domestic terrorism.

So, any other issues of the PD?
No solutions, no other discussion please, just the issues themselves. Solutions come later.
I would lump "revenge arrests" into Dickery. Stuff like cops harrassing you for OOC issues and making sure to push for raids on your business, randomly traffic stopping you and stuff like that.

People conflating corruption with Dickery, causing a lassaizes faire attitude to people acting like cocks whilst policing.
cops like to be dicks so they get shot up

problem solved
Issues I know of:

Map Knowledge - Nobody knows the names of streets or certain locations which makes Communication painful. Granted we are fairly new to this map but still. And half the time if you do a 911 Call they won't ask for clarification on where it is either they will simply just not come.

Radio Usage - People scream down Radios, just have general chats, this makes it at times very stressful to even relay or receive one bit of information. 

(Will resume updating if I think of shit)
The Radio.

It's just horrible when 12 year-olds decide that they have to scream "help" as loud as they can via the radio, or 2-3 people decide to talk about how big their pp is and how their day was over the emergency radio. It's just a messy shitshow most of the time and regular officers can not do anything against it but turn their radio off.

The Chief.

Sometimes, the chief is an utter retard. I will definitely not mention names now, but there are certain members which fail to even understand the basic sense of just not being stupid (e.g. doing /job Hitman Chief or demoting other officers for arresting their friend).
Many of the chiefs also tend to leave the force unorganized. No team-name is set, no SOPs are made, no requests are taken.

I'll probably add more stuff in the future, but cba to do it now, eh.
Vehicle customisations would come to mind (people patroling in a els equipped RV and likewise) though in all fariness most of the time people only seem to fight over who gets to be unmarked. Its quite rare (and would mostly go with failrp) to see people to too stupid stuff to their pd cars. Though at times it brings up controversy

fairly minor/controlable issue though id say
(Jun 15, 2020, 01:49 PM)Tom* Wrote: [ -> ]Map Knowledge - Nobody knows the names of streets or certain locations which makes Communication painful. Granted we are fairly new to this map but still. And half the time if you do a 911 Call they won't ask for clarification on where it is either they will simply just not come.

This is just a general issue. The map has only recently been changed so, it'd be obvious not everyone playing will know exactly where you mean. It's why hints of location such as Pub or Hospital is probably better for now until people learn the map, but that isn't really a Police Issue.

(Jun 15, 2020, 01:49 PM)Tom* Wrote: [ -> ]Radio Usage - People scream down Radios, just have general chats, this makes it at times very stressful to even relay or receive one bit of information. 

(Jun 15, 2020, 03:06 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]The Radio.

It's just horrible when 12 year-olds decide that they have to scream "help" as loud as they can via the radio, or 2-3 people decide to talk about how big their pp is and how their day was over the emergency radio. It's just a messy shitshow most of the time and regular officers can not do anything against it but turn their radio off.

I think the main idea behind this Big Questions thread is about issues that can be properly managed. There isn't really much the Development Team or Staff team can do about this. This is more for IC action from the Chief (Or RP Supervisor). Issue warnings about misuse of radio equipment and if it continues simply remove them. If it got to the point where there would be 2-3 people in a private radio, you might as well just remove the Voice Radio and use Teamspeak or Discord.

This is simply player action to the gamemode that I don't see a way around.

(Jun 15, 2020, 03:06 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]The Chief.

Sometimes, the chief is an utter retard. I will definitely not mention names now, but there are certain members which fail to even understand the basic sense of just not being stupid (e.g. doing /job Hitman Chief or demoting other officers for arresting their friend).
Many of the chiefs also tend to leave the force unorganized. No team-name is set, no SOPs are made, no requests are taken.

I'll probably add more stuff in the future, but cba to do it now, eh.

(Jun 15, 2020, 05:02 PM)MrMarsh Wrote: [ -> ]Vehicle customisations would come to mind (people patroling in a els equipped RV and likewise) though in all fariness most of the time people only seem to fight over who gets to be unmarked. Its quite rare (and would mostly go with failrp) to see people to too stupid stuff to their pd cars. Though at times it brings up controversy

fairly minor/controlable issue though id say

I personally haven't seen any of these types of "chiefs". Most simply do the job normally when I have been online. I don't see Team Name being important as the job system is no longer relevant par General Moderation and current rule-set and most requests for the Chief are usually accepted when I ask for him and even for supervisors.

I can understand why no SOPs in regards to uniform and liveries can be annoying. I think a GUI for the chief should be in place for this is a good step in the right direction, but I don't think it will fix any issues as liveries and uniforms are simply cosmetic and should be a feature added in the future due to its nature. The GUI should automatically force liveries and skins on the uniform when spawned (Vehicle and Player) but allow the user to change their liveries and uniform afterwards should the Chief have allowed special liveries, assignments or uniforms. It would be similar to the /team name command but based for SOPs.
(Jun 15, 2020, 05:44 PM)Dick Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 15, 2020, 01:49 PM)Tom* Wrote: [ -> ]Radio Usage - People scream down Radios, just have general chats, this makes it at times very stressful to even relay or receive one bit of information. 

(Jun 15, 2020, 03:06 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]The Radio.

I think the main idea behind this Big Questions thread is about issues that can be properly managed. There isn't really much the Development Team or Staff team can do about this. This is more for IC action from the Chief (Or RP Supervisor). Issue warnings about misuse of radio equipment and if it continues simply remove them. If it got to the point where there would be 2-3 people in a private radio, you might as well just remove the Voice Radio and use Teamspeak or Discord.

This is simply player action to the gamemode that I don't see a way around.

Nah, any issues are fine. There may be ways of fixing it, but we can't know that if we don't know what the issues are to start with.
I personally think that the mere ability to injure the driver of a vehicle by shooting <anywhere> on the vehicle has made playing as law enforcement different.

The mere ability for someone to kill police in < 1 second by shooting their cars has made pursuits less tempting and has instilled fear often into whoever is the pursuing party, which in most cases is the law.
Another large issue is this 'free-for-all' mentality that comes with an unwhitelisted group that has so much power. I am more inclined to support a system that introduces ranks and a chain of command that could extend across server sessions and not these fake ranks that are sometimes used for RP
Quick update for people, I've written up a small document compiling the issues and some proposed solutions, which is currently going through admins and the community input group to make sure I haven't written anything stupid before I post it back here.
And here it is, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z_4A...Syt3sFjq3k

Obviously, there are things which can be changed, and probably ideas I haven't thought of, but I believe this summarizes many of the main issues and solutions.
There is no inherent guidance to be a good leader to the PD. Yea there are some small commands like /teamname, but does the server really push for that? Players aren’t incentivized to organize their PD. I think without a proper incentive to organize thin blue dum dums, you’ll always get people like “4th Reich Superintendent” that don’t really care to properly control their force for the betterment of the server.
Does Swat count to police? If yes then that ex-donator access got removed and most of the time there arent enough swat members.
(Also because there isnt alot to do except wait 30mins to go on a raid and get tranq sniped and knifed). Also same problems aa police, using unrealistic cars, no teamplay, bad sergeant, foolery and trolling (sorry, accidently threw a flash infront of the entire pd xDDDD). You know the deal.
1. There are no repercussions of being corrupt. There is no fear, and nothing to lose. Worst case scenario is being kicked off and perhaps being arrested.

2. The radio horrible. It really serves no purpose other than a quicker way to relay information than via the previous radio text chat. Communication is terrible when the entire government is on one single channel, everything from president wanting food to police chase to random chatter.

3. The power is too much. As a police offier there is too much power to fuck someones life up. The entire legal system is in the hands of the police and president, where as irl you have a judge, police and lawmakers. Whilst it is simplified ingame and should be, it's still a pain.
Pages: 1 2